Old 03-30-2010, 03:40 PM
Alain Muls

Default Getting X running on new install

Hi All,

I am using Ubuntu since 2005 and I like it. The only problem is that each 6
month I am spending some time to update. I have for that 2 root partitions
available.

I heard about Arch Linux and its rolling release and decided to try it out.

The base install went fine and I have a running core system.

So I decided to tackle the X server which under Ubuntu uses the nvidia
proprietary driver.

I installed
pacman -S nvidia
nvidia-config

and gave startx from my user account a try. No luck, the message was cannot
load module nvidia.

Then I used lshw and the card is loisted as
G96 [GeForce 9600 GT]
both under Ubuntu and Arch Linux.

I uninstalled the nvidia and installed
pacman -S nvidia-96xx
nvidia-config

and again no luck.

How can I get this card up and running with full hw support as under Ubuntu?

Tx/Alain

Old 03-30-2010, 03:45 PM
Ionut Biru

[...]

you should really read beginners guide. everything is covered there.
everything have to installed. after a core installation be sure to fully
update the system:

pacman -Syu

after that you _need_ to install xorg.
pacman -S xorg

after that you may decide what driver you want to use.
pacman -S nvidia

--
Ionut

Old 03-31-2010, 11:46 AM
Vincent Van Houtte

2010/3/30 Alain Muls <alain.muls@telenet.be>

> Then I used lshw and the card is loisted as
> G96 [GeForce 9600 GT]
> both under Ubuntu and Arch Linux.
>
> I uninstalled the nvidia and installed
> pacman -S nvidia-96xx
> nvidia-config
>
> and again no luck.

nvidia-96xx is an older driver for older chipsets. You should use the
nvidia-driver.

If you have kernel .33 installed, you might give the nouveau-driver a go.
This driver probably only supports 2D for your card, but you'll be able to
get a graphic desktop from which you can start experimenting with the right
settings for the nvidia-driver.

http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/FeatureMatrix
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVIDIA
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Nouveau