Old 03-30-2010, 06:46 AM
"Joe(theWordy)Philbrook"

Default is there an alternative that:...

I'm no longer a kde fan, I used to be until almost everything they changed
for kde4 ticked me off... Over all I'm just as glad they did because
otherwise I wouldn't have discovered E17 (or XFCE) which are currently my
two main desktop environments.

However, kde has some apps that I'm still addicted to: One of them is the
old kde3x version of kaffiene for playing my music files. I never really
embraced most of it's advanced features, and frankly I dislike using
playlist files. What attracted me to kaffeine was when I discovered that
with the kde3x version I could use the keyboard to do an:
File->Open URL->PathToMusicDirTree

Where PathToMusicDirTree is the top most directory of a multi directory
structure that contains only music files and directories to more music
files. And kaffeine would open not only any music files within
"PathToMusicDirTree" but recursively any music files in any of it's
subdirectories.

I could add and delete files to and from this directory tree and know that
the next "File->Open URL->PathToMusicDirTree" would result in kaffeine
playing all of them. At most all I needed to do was to set shuffle and
repeat options to enjoy my background music for as long as I wanted it.

That is all I ever wanted of a music player...

Since kde4 I've learned that I really need to build a playlist by
repetitively using "File->Open URL-> NonRecursiveDir" until
I've added each and every subdir of "PathToMusicDirTree" one at a time.
Worse, I need to rebuild the playlist file every time I want to add or
remove music from my files...

But every time I've tried an alternative it either insists on making me work with
playlists, or only wants me to control it via the {many expletives deleted}rodent
pointing device. or both.

Worse still with the version I added to my Arch install (extra/kaffeine 1.0pre3-1)
the command "Playlist ->Save As" doesn't work. So I have to work with
playlists I create from one of my other distros. Another odd thing about
this version of kaffeine is that "File ->Play Audio CD" only likes to play
the first track...

Could somebody recommend another media player I could try that will let me
create temporary music lists on the fly by typing the path to a parent
dir containing multiple music directories???

One that understands keyboard commands for it's functions???

And hopefully one that doesn't force me to break out a microscope to read
any displayed text or labels on some prettified gui representation of some
livingroom sound system where I don't even know which knob or button it
wants me to click on is supposed to do what???

Old 03-30-2010, 09:57 AM
Heiko Baums

Am Tue, 30 Mar 2010 02:46:57 -0400
schrieb "Joe(theWordy)Philbrook" <jtwdyp@ttlc.net>:

> Could somebody recommend another media player I could try that will
> let me create temporary music lists on the fly by typing the path to
> a parent dir containing multiple music directories???

I don't know if it meets your requirements regarding the playlist, but
the best audio player I know is MOC (http://moc.daper.net). It has the
best sound quality of every player I know and is controlled by keyboard.

You can set a "global" music directory in its config file and by
pressing 'a' it appends the selected file or recursively every music
file in the selected directory and its subdirectories to the playlist.

Pressing 'h' brings the help screen.

I'm using Kaffeine only for watching DVB. Btw., I'd like to see the old
KDE3 version 0.8.8 back in the repos, because Kaffeine 1.0 is only a
pre version, which lacks of a lot of features and has several bugs,
which make it pretty unusable for me.

Heiko

Old 03-30-2010, 09:59 AM
ludovic coues

2010/3/30 Joe(theWordy)Philbrook <jtwdyp@ttlc.net>

> I could add and delete files to and from this directory tree and know that
> the next "File->Open URL->PathToMusicDirTree" would result in kaffeine
> playing all of them. At most all I needed to do was to set shuffle and
> repeat options to enjoy my background music for as long as I wanted it.
>
> That is all I ever wanted of a music player...

have you try mpd ?
mpc allow you to lod every file from the mpd's music directory with a single
commnd like `mpc findadd Title ""`

--

Cordialement, Coues Ludovic
06 148 743 42

Old 03-30-2010, 10:55 AM
Xavier Chantry

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 8:46 AM, Joe(theWordy)Philbrook <jtwdyp@ttlc.net> wrote:

> Could somebody recommend another media player I could try that will let me
> create temporary music lists on the fly by typing the path to a parent
> dir containing multiple music directories???

I don't know any music player that does not allow that.

> One that understands keyboard commands for it's functions???

And same here.

Anyway I would suggest you to keep trying audio players until you find
one that suits your need.

For example here is a list of light one :
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Lightweight_Applications#Audio_Players

The console/curses one are made exclusively for keyboard control.

Old 03-30-2010, 11:12 AM
Linas

If your main problem is to create playlists for a recursive music tree,
I guess that
this would work with pretty much all players:
find /path/to/music > music-list.m3u
$PLAYER music-list.m3u

http://mail.yahoo.com

Old 03-30-2010, 02:10 PM
Ian-Xue Li

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 01:12:15PM +0200, Linas wrote:
> If your main problem is to create playlists for a recursive music tree,
> I guess that
> this would work with pretty much all players:
> find /path/to/music > music-list.m3u
> $PLAYER music-list.m3u
One shortcoming of this way is that you might need a expert shell script
to update the lists containing the file, plus that filename handling
needs some work with shell scripts.

Opon the original issue, I think any music player with databases would
suit the original writers need. For example, exaile.

As for MOC, I recommend cmus over MOC because it got more decoder over
different types files.

Overall, if you don't care any of the above, mpd with any suitable
player (I use ncmpcpp) is a must-try combination.

ps: xmms2 has similar configuration to mpd, but mpd is definitely more
popular.

--
李彥* (Ian-Xue Li)
http://b4283.ath.cx

A student.

Old 03-30-2010, 02:44 PM
Johannes Held

Ian-Xue Li <da.mi.spirit@gmail.com>:
> Overall, if you don't care any of the above, mpd with any suitable
> player (I use ncmpcpp) is a must-try combination.
Cool, I always thought ncmpc can't be made better. :-)
Thanks for that hint!

--
Gru, Johannes
http://hehejo.de

Old 03-30-2010, 03:05 PM
Heiko Baums

Am Tue, 30 Mar 2010 22:10:22 +0800
schrieb Ian-Xue Li <da.mi.spirit@gmail.com>:

> As for MOC, I recommend cmus over MOC because it got more decoder over
> different types files.

Well, just tried cmus. It's so complicated an unintuitive. If I need to
first finish my degree to be able to use a program then there's
something wrong with it. If I add a directory to the playlist, there
are no tracks listed in the playlist, only the directory, and the
tracks are played in random order, there's no progress bar, etc. And to
do simple things, you first need to enter complicated vi like
commands. I hate vi, btw. And my impression is that the sound quality
of MOC is still a bit better.

I doubt that one need the other decoders. At least I haven't missed a
decoder in MOC.

Heiko

Old 03-30-2010, 03:35 PM
Joshua Sorensen

You might try sonata. I've got no idea how good it is because i don't have
need for a media player on my laptop but feel free to look it over
http://sonata.berlios.de/

Josh

Old 03-30-2010, 03:42 PM
Louis Brazeau

Personally, I use Goggle Music Manager. It's light weight and and it
lets you select the base directory for all you music with a few
keystrokes.

--
Louis Brazeau
Informaticien