Old 03-25-2010, 10:36 AM
Nilesh Govindarajan

Default Dirty fonts in Chromium

Appearance of sites in Chromium is very dirty, though I didn't change
the default font settings.

--
Nilesh Govindarajan
Site & Server Administrator

Old 03-25-2010, 10:40 AM
Nilesh Govindarajan

On 03/25/2010 05:06 PM, Nilesh Govindarajan wrote:

Appearance of sites in Chromium is very dirty, though I didn't change
the default font settings.

Oops, it seems its related to the site. Sorry ignore this thread.

--
Nilesh Govindarajan
Site & Server Administrator

Old 03-26-2010, 06:28 AM
Denis Kobozev

> On 03/25/2010 05:06 PM, Nilesh Govindarajan wrote:
>
> Appearance of sites in Chromium is very dirty, though I didn't change
> the default font settings.

Out of curiosity: do you have font anti-aliasing turned off on your
system? Do you use ttf-ms-fonts for GUI apps?

Denis.

Old 03-26-2010, 04:39 PM
Nilesh Govindarajan

Appearance of sites in Chromium is very dirty, though I didn't change
the default font settings.

Out of curiosity: do you have font anti-aliasing turned off on your
system? Do you use ttf-ms-fonts for GUI apps?

Denis.

ttf-ms-fonts is installed, but I normally don't use it.

anti-aliasing was disabled, enabled to see what it does (:?)

--
Nilesh Govindarajan
Site & Server Administrator

Old 03-26-2010, 06:56 PM
Denis Kobozev

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 1:39 PM, Nilesh Govindarajan <lists@itech7.com> wrote:
> anti-aliasing was disabled, enabled to see what it does (:?)

Most fonts, except for pixel fonts and ttf-ms-fonts, don't work well
without anti-aliasing - they will look dirty or crooked. ttf-ms-fonts
are a special case because they actually include pixel versions for
small font sizes.

I'm one of those people who like pixel fonts - I think that pixels on
modern monitors are still too big for anti-aliasing to work well. To
me, anti-aliasing makes fonts too blurry. So I'm either using pixel
fonts such as Dina or Terminus, or one of ttf-ms-fonts in my apps and
have anti-aliasing turned off for small font sizes. But occasionally I
come across a site that specifically uses, say, DejaVu Sans. Without
anti-aliasing DejaVu Sans looks to me exactly like you described -
dirty.

Denis.