FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor


 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 03-24-2010, 01:06 PM
Edgar Kalkowski
 
Default New Using AUR

Am oder ungefähr am Mittwoch, 24. März 2010, schrieb Carlos Mennens:
> I had two questions about using the AUR. I have never done it before
> and read of the How-To on the Wiki but could someone please answer the
> following two questions I have:

Hi Carlos!

> 1. If I build a tarball on 'PC1' downloaded from AUR with the 'makepkg
> -s' command, can I then transfer the created tarball to 'PC2' and
> install it even though PC2 didn't have any of the required packages
> used to create the tarball from the AUR?

There are two different types of dependencies defined for packages in the AUR: build time dependencies are needed to build a package using some PKGBUILD, package dependencies are required to run the program that is contained in the package. The first type of dependency is not needed on PC2, the second type will be needed and will be installed by pacman if you install the package from the tarball on PC2.

> 2. Once a package is installed from the AUR, when I do a system
> upgrade via Pacman, will outdated packages I installed via AUR get
> automatically upgraded or do I have to do all my AUR packages
> manually?

This is something pacman itself cannot do. However there are some wrapper scripts for pacman that can do this. One is called yaourt and can be found on the aur. I myself have written a small script that checks all installed packages (including those from the AUR) for updates but does not do any automatic update attempt like yaourt does. If you’d like to check it out it can be found at http://edgar-kalkowski.de/aurupdate.

I hope this helps!

Edgar
 
Old 03-24-2010, 01:24 PM
David Rosenstrauch
 
Default New Using AUR

On 03/24/2010 09:34 AM, Carlos Mennens wrote:

2. Once a package is installed from the AUR, when I do a system
upgrade via Pacman, will outdated packages I installed via AUR get
automatically upgraded or do I have to do all my AUR packages
manually?


Pacman does not upgrade AUR packages. Only packages from core, extra,
or community. So you need to manually update AUR packages.


So what you should do is create an account for yourself on the AUR, then
log in to the site, go to the page for that package, and click "notify".
Then you'll be notified when new messages appear on that package's AUR
page - and so you'll find out when the PKGBUILD has been upgraded to a
new version.


DR
 
Old 03-24-2010, 01:34 PM
Samuel Martn Moro
 
Default New Using AUR

you should take a look at packer, or yaourt
both of them are (AUR) package manager, dealing with both pacman *and* AUR
repositories.

packer is not perfect (we can not just do -Sy, but have to -Syu, for
example)
but yaourt is very slow (other programming language, don't know exactly, but
even on a core i7, it's shocking to see how long it took to do simple
things...)

so... make your choice

Samuel Martn Moro
{EPITECH.} tek4
CamTrace S.A.S

"Nobody wants to say how this works.
Maybe nobody knows ..."
Xorg.conf(5)


On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 3:24 PM, David Rosenstrauch <darose@darose.net>wrote:

> re, extra, or community.
 
Old 03-24-2010, 01:37 PM
Heiko Baums
 
Default New Using AUR

Am Wed, 24 Mar 2010 10:24:23 -0400
schrieb David Rosenstrauch <darose@darose.net>:

> Pacman does not upgrade AUR packages. Only packages from core,
> extra, or community. So you need to manually update AUR packages.

Those dependencies need to be built and installed on PC1 from AUR
before the "main" AUR package is built anyway. So they can also be
moved to PC2 as binary packages and should be installed automatically
by pacman when the "main" package is installed on PC2.

> So what you should do is create an account for yourself on the AUR,
> then log in to the site, go to the page for that package, and click
> "notify". Then you'll be notified when new messages appear on that
> package's AUR page - and so you'll find out when the PKGBUILD has
> been upgraded to a new version.

Usually you're not informed by the notify feature when an AUR package
is updated, because most maintainers don't write comments, when they
update their package. So you should use one of the wrapper scripts like
yaourt, aurbuild etc. to search for updates.

Heiko
 
Old 03-24-2010, 02:17 PM
Priit Kivisoo
 
Default New Using AUR

On 24.03.2010 16:24, David Rosenstrauch wrote:

On 03/24/2010 09:34 AM, Carlos Mennens wrote:

2. Once a package is installed from the AUR, when I do a system
upgrade via Pacman, will outdated packages I installed via AUR get
automatically upgraded or do I have to do all my AUR packages
manually?




You can always install yaourt and upgrade packages with yaourt -Syu –-aur

Priit
 
Old 03-24-2010, 02:36 PM
Thanos Zygouris
 
Default New Using AUR

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 17:17, Priit Kivisoo <priit@kivisoo.eu> wrote:

> On 24.03.2010 16:24, David Rosenstrauch wrote:
>
>> On 03/24/2010 09:34 AM, Carlos Mennens wrote:
>>
>>> 2. Once a package is installed from the AUR, when I do a system
>>> upgrade via Pacman, will outdated packages I installed via AUR get
>>> automatically upgraded or do I have to do all my AUR packages
>>> manually?
>>>
>>
>>
> You can always install yaourt and upgrade packages with yaourt -Syu –-aur
>
> Priit
>

Or, you can install packer (in aur) and do a packer -Syu
 
Old 03-24-2010, 02:45 PM
Helgi Kristvin Sigurbjarnarson
 
Default New Using AUR

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 09:34:27AM -0400, Carlos Mennens wrote:
> 2. Once a package is installed from the AUR, when I do a system
> upgrade via Pacman, will outdated packages I installed via AUR get
> automatically upgraded or do I have to do all my AUR packages
> manually?

Some people have mentioned yaourt and other tools to automate this,
but yaourt is extremly slow. I'd recommend you try clyde (it's in AUR).

It's in early stages, but it can be used just like pacman, and handles
AUR, and AUR dependencies if a package is not found in the official
repos.

--
Helgi Kristvin Sigurbjarnarson <helgikrs (at) gmail (dot) com>
 
Old 03-24-2010, 02:47 PM
Vincent Van Houtte
 
Default New Using AUR

> >>> 2. Once a package is installed from the AUR, when I do a system
> >>> upgrade via Pacman, will outdated packages I installed via AUR get
> >>> automatically upgraded or do I have to do all my AUR packages
> >>> manually?
> >>
> > You can always install yaourt and upgrade packages with yaourt -Syu –-aur
> >
> > Priit
> >
>
> Or, you can install packer (in aur) and do a packer -Syu
>

In short:
- pacman does not provide such functionality
- there are other utilities (pacman/aur helpers) that do provide this
functionality. Check the wiki or 'community contribution'-section on the
forum for all of them.
 
Old 03-24-2010, 05:30 PM
Pierre Chapuis
 
Default New Using AUR

On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 15:34:01 +0100, Samuel Martn Moro <faust64@gmail.com>
wrote:

> but yaourt is very slow (other programming language, don't know exactly,
> but
> even on a core i7, it's shocking to see how long it took to do simple
> things...)

It used to be slow mainly because it did a lot of parsing with Bash and
Unix tools. Its experimental branch [1] relies on a new, external tool
in C and is much faster.

[1] http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=35479
 
Old 03-24-2010, 08:21 PM
Edgar Kalkowski
 
Default New Using AUR

> "Nobody wants to say how this works.
> Maybe nobody knows ..."
> Xorg.conf(5)

This is a really great quote! A friend and me laughted our asses off just now when we found that this is really included in `man xorg.conf`!

This is why I like Linux so much! This would not happen with *indows.
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:16 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org