Old 03-23-2010, 07:17 AM
"David C. Rankin"

Default libpng12 and libjpeg6 from AUR fix kdemod3 100%

Guys,

Just dropping a note on the build and install of libpng12 and libjpeg6 from AUR
to fix the problem I had with the kdemod3 install on my new arch box. After
installing the two packages, kde3 seems to be 100% healthy. Immediately, all
icons and graphic handling returned just like you would expect.

Now if I could just figure out how to create a kde3 menu item in the kdm
greeter, it would be perfect. Currently, I have to drop to tty1, kill kdm and
then use startx with /opt/kde/bin/startkde specified in my ~/.xinitrc file to
get kde3 started. How does one create a desktop entry in the kdm greeter scheme
so I can launch kde3 from there? It can't be that hard, I have pekwm, blackbox,
openbox and fluxbox and gnome entries in there along with kde4, but I don't know
where the "magic switch" is so kde3 will appear.

What's the trick?

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC

Old 03-23-2010, 03:57 PM
David Rosenstrauch

Just dropping a note on the build and install of libpng12 and libjpeg6 from AUR
to fix the problem I had with the kdemod3 install on my new arch box. After
installing the two packages, kde3 seems to be 100% healthy. Immediately, all
icons and graphic handling returned just like you would expect.

Now if I could just figure out how to create a kde3 menu item in the kdm
greeter, it would be perfect. Currently, I have to drop to tty1, kill kdm and
then use startx with /opt/kde/bin/startkde specified in my ~/.xinitrc file to
get kde3 started. How does one create a desktop entry in the kdm greeter scheme
so I can launch kde3 from there? It can't be that hard, I have pekwm, blackbox,
openbox and fluxbox and gnome entries in there along with kde4, but I don't know
where the "magic switch" is so kde3 will appear.

What's the trick?

I already emailed you about this earlier:

> > > Guys,
> > >
> > > In Arch, how do I make kde3 appear as a choice in the kdm greeter? I
> > > thought I
> > > just had to add a kde.desktop launching /opt/kde/bin/startkde in
> > > /usr/share/xsessions, but that didn't do it. What's the trick?
> > >

> > Try putting it in /etc/X11/sessions
>
> i.e., if you've already got kde(mod)3 installed:
>
> $ ln -s /opt/kde/share/apps/kdm/sessions/kde.desktop /etc/X11/sessions

DR

Old 03-23-2010, 05:29 PM
"David C. Rankin"

On 03/23/2010 11:57 AM, David Rosenstrauch wrote:
> I already emailed you about this earlier:

>> > Try putting it in /etc/X11/sessions
>>
>> i.e., if you've already got kde(mod)3 installed:
>>
>> $ ln -s /opt/kde/share/apps/kdm/sessions/kde.desktop /etc/X11/sessions

That confirms it -- I'm blind in one eye and can't see out of the other...
Thanks DR

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC

Old 03-23-2010, 05:52 PM
"David C. Rankin"

On 03/23/2010 11:57 AM, David Rosenstrauch wrote:

> I already emailed you about this earlier:

>> > Try putting it in /etc/X11/sessions
>>
>> i.e., if you've already got kde(mod)3 installed:
>>
>> $ ln -s /opt/kde/share/apps/kdm/sessions/kde.desktop /etc/X11/sessions
>
> DR

DR,

Thank you for putting me on the right path. For the record, you don't need your
link in /etc/X11/sessions, you need the link in "/usr/share/apps/kdm/sessions".
Adding the following link did the trick

ln -s /etc/X11/sessions/kdemod3.desktop /usr/share/apps/kdm/sessions

Now there is a kdemod3 entry in the kdm greeter. Learning has occurred.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC

Old 03-23-2010, 05:57 PM
David Rosenstrauch

[...]

Er, yeah. That's what I meant. Add a link in
/usr/share/apps/kdm/sessions . :-)

Well, I was close!

Anyway, all's well that ends well. Glad this helped you get it fixed.

DR