Old 03-21-2010, 07:04 AM
Nilesh Govindarajan

Default Kernel LTS won't boot properly

I installed kernel26-lts.

It will boot properly upto Udev then screen will flicker and then
nothing shows up, but it seems like the boot is going on.

Its just after when INIT changes the screen font.

--
Nilesh Govindarajan
Site & Server Administrator

Old 03-23-2010, 07:21 AM
"David C. Rankin"

On 03/21/2010 03:04 AM, Nilesh Govindarajan wrote:
> I installed kernel26-lts.
>
> It will boot properly upto Udev then screen will flicker and then
> nothing shows up, but it seems like the boot is going on.
>
> Its just after when INIT changes the screen font.

Hmm,

You might try reinstalling. I had an initrd get corrupted a few days ago and I
booted the LTS kernel to fix it -- so I know the LTS kernel should boot fine --
and -- I also know that corruption issues can cause the exact problem you are
describing (and that I experienced a few days ago). When I reinstalled the arch
kernel - all was fixed. Hopefully the same with fix your issue with LTS.
Regardless, it is a quick confirmation either way

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC

Old 03-23-2010, 09:30 AM
Nilesh Govindarajan

It will boot properly upto Udev then screen will flicker and then
nothing shows up, but it seems like the boot is going on.

Its just after when INIT changes the screen font.

Hmm,

You might try reinstalling. I had an initrd get corrupted a few days ago and I
booted the LTS kernel to fix it -- so I know the LTS kernel should boot fine --
and -- I also know that corruption issues can cause the exact problem you are
describing (and that I experienced a few days ago). When I reinstalled the arch
kernel - all was fixed. Hopefully the same with fix your issue with LTS.
Regardless, it is a quick confirmation either way

I've tried it re-installing thrice. No success. Should I re-download the
package ?

--
Nilesh Govindarajan
Site & Server Administrator

Old 03-23-2010, 05:28 PM
"David C. Rankin"

On 03/23/2010 05:30 AM, Nilesh Govindarajan wrote:
> On 03/23/2010 01:51 PM, David C. Rankin wrote:
>> On 03/21/2010 03:04 AM, Nilesh Govindarajan wrote:
>>> I installed kernel26-lts.
>>>
>>> It will boot properly upto Udev then screen will flicker and then
>>> nothing shows up, but it seems like the boot is going on.
>>>
>>> Its just after when INIT changes the screen font.
>>>

>> Hmm,
>>
>> You might try reinstalling. I had an initrd get corrupted a few
>> days ago and I
>> booted the LTS kernel to fix it -- so I know the LTS kernel should
>> boot fine --
>> and -- I also know that corruption issues can cause the exact problem
>> you are
>> describing (and that I experienced a few days ago). When I reinstalled
>> the arch
>> kernel - all was fixed. Hopefully the same with fix your issue with LTS.
>> Regardless, it is a quick confirmation either way
>>

> I've tried it re-installing thrice. No success. Should I re-download the
> package ?

Oh YES - that was implied in the reinstall -- sorry. Give it a go. I don't know
why the checksums don't catch this type of corruption, but I had to re-download
and then install with 'pacman -U <pkgName>'. Hopefully, the 4th time will be a
charm.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC

Old 03-24-2010, 04:23 AM
Nilesh Govindarajan

[...]

I redownloaded it, re mkinitcpio, still the problem persists.

Is there any way to disable the change of screen font after udev ?

Any guesses ? Or re-download from another mirror ?

--
Nilesh Govindarajan
Site & Server Administrator

Old 03-24-2010, 05:51 AM
"David C. Rankin"

On 03/24/2010 12:23 AM, Nilesh Govindarajan wrote:

>> Oh YES - that was implied in the reinstall -- sorry. Give it a go. I
>> don't know
>> why the checksums don't catch this type of corruption, but I had to
>> re-download
>> and then install with 'pacman -U<pkgName>'. Hopefully, the 4th time
>> will be a
>> charm.
>>

> I redownloaded it, re mkinitcpio, still the problem persists.
>
> Is there any way to disable the change of screen font after udev ?
>
> Any guesses ? Or re-download from another mirror ?

Nilesh,

If you have re-downloaded and reinstalled, then I think you may have stumbled
across a bug regarding your chipset and the framebuffer switch that takes place.
That is way beyond me, but there are others here that can help. Before opening a
ticket on it, do a quick wiki search on your gpu chipset and also take a look at
the LTS page to see if there are any notes there. If not, open a ticket with
Arch. That will probably be the fastest way to get this resolved.

What is your hardware setup? Give us the motherboard chipset, CPU and GPU
chipset info, and that will help others here help you. Also, if you get any log
info on the boot process up to the time it hangs, that is important. I guess the
way to check for log info would be to boot -- let it fail -- then boot with the
install media and then mount your partition containing /var (usually /) and
check /var/log under the mount-point and see if anything was captured. I don't
know for sure, but it seems like logging would have been enabled well before
Udev is started.

Good luck.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC

Old 03-24-2010, 07:59 PM
Andreas Radke

Am Sun, 21 Mar 2010 13:34:40 +0530
schrieb Nilesh Govindarajan <lists@itech7.com>:

> I installed kernel26-lts.
>
> It will boot properly upto Udev then screen will flicker and then
> nothing shows up, but it seems like the boot is going on.
>
> Its just after when INIT changes the screen font.

Does it mean you are trying to use KMS for screen resolution? It's an
Intel card? Udev is probably loading either a kms module or some custom
framebuffer module.

-Andy

Old 03-25-2010, 12:05 AM
Nilesh Govindarajan

It will boot properly upto Udev then screen will flicker and then
nothing shows up, but it seems like the boot is going on.

Its just after when INIT changes the screen font.

Does it mean you are trying to use KMS for screen resolution? It's an
Intel card? Udev is probably loading either a kms module or some custom
framebuffer module.

-Andy

I have an Intel Mobo and onboard Intel VGA, Sound, USB, Network.

--
Nilesh Govindarajan
Site & Server Administrator

Old 03-25-2010, 06:48 AM
Andreas Radke

Am Thu, 25 Mar 2010 06:35:55 +0530
schrieb Nilesh Govindarajan <lists@itech7.com>:

> On 03/25/2010 02:29 AM, Andreas Radke wrote:
> > Am Sun, 21 Mar 2010 13:34:40 +0530
> > schrieb Nilesh Govindarajan<lists@itech7.com>:
> >
> >> I installed kernel26-lts.
> >>
> >> It will boot properly upto Udev then screen will flicker and then
> >> nothing shows up, but it seems like the boot is going on.
> >>
> >> Its just after when INIT changes the screen font.
> >>

> > Does it mean you are trying to use KMS for screen resolution? It's
> > an Intel card? Udev is probably loading either a kms module or some
> > custom framebuffer module.
> >
> > -Andy
>
> I have an Intel Mobo and onboard Intel VGA, Sound, USB, Network.

check your kernel append line and modprobe.d settings for frambuffer
and bad kms settings.

-Andy

Old 03-25-2010, 10:38 AM
Nilesh Govindarajan

It will boot properly upto Udev then screen will flicker and then
nothing shows up, but it seems like the boot is going on.

Its just after when INIT changes the screen font.

Does it mean you are trying to use KMS for screen resolution? It's
an Intel card? Udev is probably loading either a kms module or some
custom framebuffer module.

-Andy

I have an Intel Mobo and onboard Intel VGA, Sound, USB, Network.

check your kernel append line and modprobe.d settings for frambuffer
and bad kms settings.

-Andy

My kernel append line has nothing except for the rootfs settings.

In /etc/modprobe.d, there are no KMS settings.

--
Nilesh Govindarajan
Site & Server Administrator