Old 03-20-2010, 03:02 PM
Ondřej Kučera

Default HTML5, Youtube and chromium-browser

Hi,

On 03/20/10 16:50, Gaurish Sharma wrote:

Hi,
I tried installing following packages on x86_64

But it didn't work.

I get this:
http://www.imagebam.com/image/708acc72799349

Anyone managed to get youtube videos working in HTML5/h.264 format on chromium
browser?

Yes, works for me here. Uninstall both packages and run pacman -S chromium.

Ondřej Kučera

--
Cheers,
Ondřej Kučera

Old 03-20-2010, 03:04 PM
Pierre Schmitz

Am Samstag, 20. Mrz 2010 16:50:14 schrieb Gaurish Sharma:
> Anyone managed to get youtube videos working in HTML5/h.264 format on
> chromium browser?

Don't use those broken packages from the AUR. Just run "pacman -S chromium"
and it will just work.

Old 03-20-2010, 04:56 PM
Gaurish Sharma

On Saturday 20 Mar 2010 9:34:06 pm Pierre Schmitz wrote:
> Am Samstag, 20. Mrz 2010 16:50:14 schrieb Gaurish Sharma:
> > Anyone managed to get youtube videos working in HTML5/h.264 format on
> > chromium browser?
>
> Don't use those broken packages from the AUR. Just run "pacman -S chromium"
> and it will just work.
Thanks, That worked.
Apparently I was under impression that chromium browser does not ship with
codecs. that atleast this what the webpage says

[1]http://code.google.com/p/chromium/wiki/ChromiumBrowserVsGoogleChrome

Gaurish Sharma
www.gaurishsharma.com

Old 03-20-2010, 05:03 PM
Bram Schoenmakers

2010/3/20 Pierre Schmitz <pierre@archlinux.de>:
> Am Samstag, 20. Mrz 2010 16:50:14 schrieb Gaurish Sharma:
>> Anyone managed to get youtube videos working in HTML5/h.264 format on
>> chromium *browser?
>
> Don't use those broken packages from the AUR. Just run "pacman -S chromium"
> and it will just work.

With a chance of diverting from the original topic, I'd like to ask
how often the chromium package in [extra] is going to be updated. Last
week I went back from [extra] to AUR because of an annoying bug with
Google Calendar in 5.0.307.11, but it is fixed in the latest version.
>From what I understand, 5.0 development has release cycles of one
week, with a version bump on each Monday.

I'm just asking, because I'm aware Chromium is a heavy beast to build
and ship, so I don't expect a new build every week. I'm just asking
for a rough estimation of how often a new version will appear in
[extra].

Kind regards,

--
Bram Schoenmakers

What is mind? No matter. What is matter? Never mind.
(Punch, 1855)

Old 03-20-2010, 05:13 PM
Pierre Schmitz

Am Samstag, 20. Mrz 2010 18:56:21 schrieb Gaurish Sharma:
> Apparently I was under impression that chromium browser does not ship
> with codecs. that atleast this what the webpage says
>
> [1]http://code.google.com/p/chromium/wiki/ChromiumBrowserVsGoogleChrome

That page does not mention Arch at all.

Old 03-20-2010, 05:16 PM
Pierre Schmitz

Am Samstag, 20. Mrz 2010 19:03:35 schrieb Bram Schoenmakers:
> I'd like to ask
> how often the chromium package in [extra] is going to be updated. Last
> week I went back from [extra] to AUR because of an annoying bug with
> Google Calendar in 5.0.307.11, but it is fixed in the latest version.
>
> >From what I understand, 5.0 development has release cycles of one
>
> week, with a version bump on each Monday.
>
> I'm just asking, because I'm aware Chromium is a heavy beast to build
> and ship, so I don't expect a new build every week. I'm just asking
> for a rough estimation of how often a new version will appear in
> [extra].

That's not really true. Chromium in [extra] follows the beta and hopefully
soon the stable releases of Google Chrome. See
http://googlechromereleases.blogspot.com/search/label/Beta%20updates and
http://omahaproxy.appspot.com/

The "releases" you are talking about are just snapshots which are tagged by a
bot.

Old 03-20-2010, 05:29 PM
Bram Schoenmakers

2010/3/20 Pierre Schmitz <pierre@archlinux.de>:

> That's not really true. Chromium in [extra] follows the beta and hopefully
> soon the stable releases of Google Chrome. See
> http://googlechromereleases.blogspot.com/search/label/Beta%20updates and
> http://omahaproxy.appspot.com/

Ah, thank you. I wasn't aware of the existence of this page.

Kind regards,

Old 03-20-2010, 05:42 PM
Philipp

Excerpts from Gaurish Sharma's message of 2010-03-20 16:50:14 +0100:

> Anyone managed to get youtube videos working in HTML5/h.264 format on chromium
> browser?

How can you do that? It asks me for flash in most webkit browser I tried,
uzbl and arora, midori behaves differently, it doesn't ask for flash but
shows no video either...

Old 03-20-2010, 05:52 PM
Uli Armbruster

* Philipp <hollunder@lavabit.com> [20.03.2010 19:42]:

Just go to http://www.youtube.com/html5 and activate html5 beta ;-)

Old 03-21-2010, 10:28 AM
Philipp

Excerpts from Uli Armbruster's message of 2010-03-20 19:52:28 +0100:
> * Philipp <hollunder@lavabit.com> [20.03.2010 19:42]:
> > Excerpts from Gaurish Sharma's message of 2010-03-20 16:50:14 +0100:
> >
> > > Anyone managed to get youtube videos working in HTML5/h.264 format on chromium
> > > browser?
> >
> > How can you do that? It asks me for flash in most webkit browser I tried,
> > uzbl and arora, midori behaves differently, it doesn't ask for flash but
> > shows no video either...
> >
> Just go to http://www.youtube.com/html5 and activate html5 beta ;-)

Thanks, but it doesn't 'stick' with any of my browsers. I can 'join' it
but as soon as I try to watch a video or go back to the page it's back
to not joined.