Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   ArchLinux General Discussion (http://www.linux-archive.org/archlinux-general-discussion/)
-   -   rankmirrors with arch-games (http://www.linux-archive.org/archlinux-general-discussion/343850-rankmirrors-arch-games.html)

Daenyth Blank 03-19-2010 01:42 AM

rankmirrors with arch-games
 
For some reason rankmirrors seems to really hate the arch-games
mirrorlist. I don't know whether it's a bug or whether there's some
sort of server misconfiguration.

[root@Muspelheimr pacman.d]# rankmirrors -t archgames-mirrorlist
Querying servers, this may take some time...
* * * *
Servers sorted by time (seconds):
http://pseudoform.org/arch-games/games/i686 #(Nürnberg, Germany.
Maintainer: svenstaro) : 1.01
http://repo.exigen.org/arch/games/i686 #(Düsseldorf, Germany.
Maintainer: s4msung) : unreachable
http://repo.archlinux-gaming.org/i686 #(Toronto, Canada. Primary
mirror) : unreachable
ftp://mirror.selfnet.de/arch-games/i686 #(Stuttgart, Germany.
Maintainer: hrist) : unreachable

All of the above servers respond to ping and their repos can be
browsed manually and synced with using pacman.

Nilesh Govindarajan 03-19-2010 03:38 AM

rankmirrors with arch-games
 
On 03/19/2010 08:12 AM, Daenyth Blank wrote:

For some reason rankmirrors seems to really hate the arch-games
mirrorlist. I don't know whether it's a bug or whether there's some
sort of server misconfiguration.

[root@Muspelheimr pacman.d]# rankmirrors -t archgames-mirrorlist
Querying servers, this may take some time...
* * * *
Servers sorted by time (seconds):
http://pseudoform.org/arch-games/games/i686 #(Nürnberg, Germany.
Maintainer: svenstaro) : 1.01
http://repo.exigen.org/arch/games/i686 #(Düsseldorf, Germany.
Maintainer: s4msung) : unreachable
http://repo.archlinux-gaming.org/i686 #(Toronto, Canada. Primary
mirror) : unreachable
ftp://mirror.selfnet.de/arch-games/i686 #(Stuttgart, Germany.
Maintainer: hrist) : unreachable

All of the above servers respond to ping and their repos can be
browsed manually and synced with using pacman.


Observe the ping using ping -c 100.

If there is some loss in packets, you need to consult your ISP unless
you're using wireless transmission.


--
Nilesh Govindarajan
Site & Server Adminstrator
www.itech7.com

Daenyth Blank 03-19-2010 11:14 AM

rankmirrors with arch-games
 
On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 00:38, Nilesh Govindarajan <lists@itech7.com> wrote:
> Observe the ping using ping -c 100.
>
> If there is some loss in packets, you need to consult your ISP unless you're
> using wireless transmission.
0% packet loss, and it's not just me, it's everyone who uses
rankmirrors on our mirrorlist, and it's always the same results.

Dan McGee 03-20-2010 04:52 PM

rankmirrors with arch-games
 
On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 7:14 AM, Daenyth Blank <daenyth+arch@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 00:38, Nilesh Govindarajan <lists@itech7.com> wrote:
>> Observe the ping using ping -c 100.
>>
>> If there is some loss in packets, you need to consult your ISP unless you're
>> using wireless transmission.
> 0% packet loss, and it's not just me, it's everyone who uses
> rankmirrors on our mirrorlist, and it's always the same results.

Where is the mirrorlist so I can try this? What version of rankmirrors
are you using? You left out quite a few helpful details that might
lead to people helping out that don't have time to try and track all
these things down on their own.

-Dan

Daenyth Blank 03-20-2010 05:03 PM

rankmirrors with arch-games
 
On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 13:52, Dan McGee <dpmcgee@gmail.com> wrote:
> Where is the mirrorlist so I can try this? What version of rankmirrors
> are you using? You left out quite a few helpful details that might
> lead to people helping out that don't have time to try and track all
> these things down on their own.
>
> -Dan
>

I'm using the version of rankmirrors from pacman 3.3.3-1. The
mirrorlist is at
http://repo.archlinux-gaming.org/i686/archgames-mirrorlist-20100121-1-i686.pkg.tar.gz
(source at http://github.com/Stythys/arch-games/tree/master/packages/archgames-mirrorlist/
)

Dan McGee 03-20-2010 05:20 PM

rankmirrors with arch-games
 
On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 9:42 PM, Daenyth Blank <daenyth+arch@gmail.com> wrote:
> For some reason rankmirrors seems to really hate the arch-games
> mirrorlist. I don't know whether it's a bug or whether there's some
> sort of server misconfiguration.
>
> [root@Muspelheimr pacman.d]# rankmirrors -t archgames-mirrorlist
> Querying servers, this may take some time...
> ** * * * * * *
> *Servers sorted by time (seconds):
> http://pseudoform.org/arch-games/games/i686 #(Nürnberg, Germany.
> Maintainer: svenstaro) : 1.01
> http://repo.exigen.org/arch/games/i686 #(Düsseldorf, Germany.
> Maintainer: s4msung) : unreachable
> http://repo.archlinux-gaming.org/i686 #(Toronto, Canada. Primary
> mirror) : unreachable
> ftp://mirror.selfnet.de/arch-games/i686 #(Stuttgart, Germany.
> Maintainer: hrist) : unreachable
>
> All of the above servers respond to ping and their repos can be
> browsed manually and synced with using pacman.

So let's compare a "normal" mirror location with those from arch-games
and what we know works.

normal: ftp://ftp.archlinux.org/core/os/i686
works: http://pseudoform.org/arch-games/games/i686
not work: http://repo.exigen.org/arch/games/i686

rankmirrors assumes the repository name is the third component from
the end; the normal URL would thus produce "core" and look for
"core.db.tar.gz" and the working arch-games URL would see "arch-games"
and look for "arch-games.db.tar.gz". The non-working URLs thus are
guessing the db name incorrectly; the one I listed above would look
for "arch.db.tar.gz" and fail to find it, thus the unreachable in the
output.

I cross-posted this to pacman-dev, but we have a bit of a oddity here
as the rankmirrors python script was recently replaced by a bash
version, and it does an absolutely abominable job on this mirrorlist
due to the inline comments:

$ rankmirrors test-mirrorlist
# Server list generated by rankmirrors on 2010-03-20
#
# Arch Games repository mirrorlist
#
url `' is malformed.

I'm not super thrilled about this regression. Either way, I think we
should probably add an option to the scripts to use a designated file
as the target for rankmirrors testing; this way you could specify a DB
filename or any other file as the target to test against.

-Dan

Dan McGee 03-20-2010 05:20 PM

rankmirrors with arch-games
 
On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 9:42 PM, Daenyth Blank <daenyth+arch@gmail.com> wrote:
> For some reason rankmirrors seems to really hate the arch-games
> mirrorlist. I don't know whether it's a bug or whether there's some
> sort of server misconfiguration.
>
> [root@Muspelheimr pacman.d]# rankmirrors -t archgames-mirrorlist
> Querying servers, this may take some time...
> ** * * * * * *
> *Servers sorted by time (seconds):
> http://pseudoform.org/arch-games/games/i686 #(Nürnberg, Germany.
> Maintainer: svenstaro) : 1.01
> http://repo.exigen.org/arch/games/i686 #(Düsseldorf, Germany.
> Maintainer: s4msung) : unreachable
> http://repo.archlinux-gaming.org/i686 #(Toronto, Canada. Primary
> mirror) : unreachable
> ftp://mirror.selfnet.de/arch-games/i686 #(Stuttgart, Germany.
> Maintainer: hrist) : unreachable
>
> All of the above servers respond to ping and their repos can be
> browsed manually and synced with using pacman.

So let's compare a "normal" mirror location with those from arch-games
and what we know works.

normal: ftp://ftp.archlinux.org/core/os/i686
works: http://pseudoform.org/arch-games/games/i686
not work: http://repo.exigen.org/arch/games/i686

rankmirrors assumes the repository name is the third component from
the end; the normal URL would thus produce "core" and look for
"core.db.tar.gz" and the working arch-games URL would see "arch-games"
and look for "arch-games.db.tar.gz". The non-working URLs thus are
guessing the db name incorrectly; the one I listed above would look
for "arch.db.tar.gz" and fail to find it, thus the unreachable in the
output.

I cross-posted this to pacman-dev, but we have a bit of a oddity here
as the rankmirrors python script was recently replaced by a bash
version, and it does an absolutely abominable job on this mirrorlist
due to the inline comments:

$ rankmirrors test-mirrorlist
# Server list generated by rankmirrors on 2010-03-20
#
# Arch Games repository mirrorlist
#
url `' is malformed.

I'm not super thrilled about this regression. Either way, I think we
should probably add an option to the scripts to use a designated file
as the target for rankmirrors testing; this way you could specify a DB
filename or any other file as the target to test against.

-Dan

Daenyth Blank 03-20-2010 06:18 PM

rankmirrors with arch-games
 
On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 14:20, Dan McGee <dpmcgee@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm not super thrilled about this regression. Either way, I think we
> should probably add an option to the scripts to use a designated file
> as the target for rankmirrors testing; this way you could specify a DB
> filename or any other file as the target to test against.
>
> -Dan
>

I have something along those lines; sending it out shortly

Daenyth Blank 03-25-2010 03:13 PM

rankmirrors with arch-games
 
On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 15:18, Daenyth Blank <daenyth+arch@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 14:20, Dan McGee <dpmcgee@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm not super thrilled about this regression. Either way, I think we
>> should probably add an option to the scripts to use a designated file
>> as the target for rankmirrors testing; this way you could specify a DB
>> filename or any other file as the target to test against.
>>
>> -Dan
>>
>
> I have something along those lines; sending it out shortly
>

For some reason I can't get git send-email to work through gmail while
keeping my +Arch intact, so mailman keeps dropping my patch emails
since it's sent as daenyth@ rather than daenyth+arch@ (my subscribed
name).

Could a list moderator put those through?

Dan McGee 03-25-2010 04:40 PM

rankmirrors with arch-games
 
On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 11:13 AM, Daenyth Blank <daenyth+arch@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 15:18, Daenyth Blank <daenyth+arch@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 14:20, Dan McGee <dpmcgee@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I'm not super thrilled about this regression. Either way, I think we
>>> should probably add an option to the scripts to use a designated file
>>> as the target for rankmirrors testing; this way you could specify a DB
>>> filename or any other file as the target to test against.
>>>
>>> -Dan
>>>
>>
>> I have something along those lines; sending it out shortly
>>
>
> For some reason I can't get git send-email to work through gmail while
> keeping my +Arch intact, so mailman keeps dropping my patch emails
> since it's sent as daenyth@ rather than daenyth+arch@ (my subscribed
> name).
>
> Could a list moderator put those through?

I haven't seen anything come in telling me about emails in the
moderation queue; I don't think we keep those around. The only thing I
get in a queue that I can release is emails > 40 KB.

-Dan


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:44 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.