Old 03-18-2010, 08:34 PM
Linas

Default fdisk vs cfdisk... And is my drive borked or what?

On 18/03/10 12:52, Mauro Santos wrote:

On 03/18/2010 09:10 AM, Joe(theWordy)Philbrook wrote:

0xf, 5, Who cares which it's called? As long as it contains the logical
partitions... But the ending sector thing will bug me if I don't fix it.
So for my piece of mind I'm gonna have to do something...

Gparted (which is just a frontend for parted) may be able to resize your
extended partition without touching any of the logical partitions inside
(you may need to delete your last partition first though, it all depends
on what alignment gparted will try to use), however I try not to use
gparted because once it wrecked havoc during a resize operation, because
of that and because I have a big enough spare disk, I always do a full
backup before any major partition changes.

Your primary partitions are safe but the logical ones can just vanish if
things go wrong. I guess that if you take note of the start and end
sectors for all partitions you can recreate the layout if anything goes
wrong (I have never tried it though so I can't say how well that will work).

It works. But you should copy the values *in sectors*. It's amazing how
different

tools interpret the same values on different actual positions.

http://mail.yahoo.com

Old 03-18-2010, 08:55 PM
Guus Snijders

It works. But you should copy the values *in sectors*. It's amazing how
different tools interpret the same values on different actual positions.

Indeed, that is one thing i forgot to note. Make your notes in sectors.

mvg,
Guus