-   -   Dedicated Arch servers (http://www.linux-archive.org/archlinux-general-discussion/343595-dedicated-arch-servers.html)

Nilesh Govindarajan 03-18-2010 03:34 PM

Dedicated Arch servers

Hi,

Do you know some dedicated server / VPS provider (unmanaged), who
supports Arch Linux, with good service and reasonable rates ?

--
Nilesh Govindarajan
Site & Server Adminstrator

Gaurish Sharma 03-18-2010 03:58 PM

Dedicated Arch servers

On Thursday 18 Mar 2010 10:04:58 pm Nilesh Govindarajan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Do you know some dedicated server / VPS provider (unmanaged), who
> supports Arch Linux, with good service and reasonable rates ?
Hi,
you the the providers which host archlinux.

* http://www.velocitynetwork.net/?hosting_by=ArchLinux
* https://www.sevenl.net/?utm_source=archlinux-org&utm_medium=sponsored-
banner&utm_campaign=thanks-to-sevenl

or you can try Linode which is my personnel fav provider for Unmanaged VPS

Gaurish Sharma
www.gaurishsharma.com

Daenyth Blank 03-18-2010 04:00 PM

Dedicated Arch servers

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 12:58, Gaurish Sharma <contact@gaurishsharma.com> wrote:
> On Thursday 18 Mar 2010 10:04:58 pm Nilesh Govindarajan wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Do you know some dedicated server / VPS provider (unmanaged), who
>> supports Arch Linux, with good service and reasonable rates ?
> Hi,
> you the the providers which host archlinux.

Maybe we should put this on the wiki. I've seen this question come up
a few times.

Aaron Griffin 03-18-2010 04:00 PM

Dedicated Arch servers

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 11:58 AM, Gaurish Sharma
<contact@gaurishsharma.com> wrote:
> On Thursday 18 Mar 2010 10:04:58 pm Nilesh Govindarajan wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Do you know some dedicated server / VPS provider (unmanaged), who
>> supports Arch Linux, with good service and reasonable rates ?
> Hi,
> you the the providers which host archlinux.
>
> * http://www.velocitynetwork.net/?hosting_by=ArchLinux
> * https://www.sevenl.net/?utm_source=archlinux-org&utm_medium=sponsored-
> banner&utm_campaign=thanks-to-sevenl
>
> or you can try Linode *which is my personnel fav provider for Unmanaged VPS

Additionally, Slicehost is still good, but I think spec-wise, the
above 3 are better

Nilesh Govindarajan 03-18-2010 04:03 PM

Dedicated Arch servers

Do you know some dedicated server / VPS provider (unmanaged), who
supports Arch Linux, with good service and reasonable rates ?

Hi,
you the the providers which host archlinux.

* http://www.velocitynetwork.net/?hosting_by=ArchLinux
* https://www.sevenl.net/?utm_source=archlinux-org&utm_medium=sponsored-
banner&utm_campaign=thanks-to-sevenl

or you can try Linode which is my personnel fav provider for Unmanaged VPS

I know about sevenl.net. My current VPS provider VAServ migrated me from
Xen to KVM which is nice. KVM VPSes are much better than Xen ones. I
don't want to move back to Xen. But VAServ is not yet supporting Arch,
so I'm using Fedora :)

Any more.. ?

--
Nilesh Govindarajan
Site & Server Adminstrator

Thomas Bächler 03-18-2010 04:18 PM

Dedicated Arch servers

Am 18.03.2010 18:00, schrieb Aaron Griffin:
>> or you can try Linode which is my personnel fav provider for Unmanaged VPS
>
> Additionally, Slicehost is still good, but I think spec-wise, the
> above 3 are better

Linode has the nice advantage that
a) it has pv-grub, so you can easily use kernel26-ARCH instead of a
kernel provided by the hoster
b) you get direct access to the Xen console, so you can watch the
machine boot and fix stuff

Point b) is seldom possible with dedicated servers (unless you pay
extra), and also rare for a VPS. Point a) is usually not available on VPS.

Aaron Griffin 03-18-2010 04:28 PM

Dedicated Arch servers

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 12:18 PM, Thomas Bächler <thomas@archlinux.org> wrote:
> Am 18.03.2010 18:00, schrieb Aaron Griffin:
>>> or you can try Linode *which is my personnel fav provider for Unmanaged VPS
>>
>> Additionally, Slicehost is still good, but I think spec-wise, the
>> above 3 are better
>
> Linode has the nice advantage that
> a) it has pv-grub, so you can easily use kernel26-ARCH instead of a
> kernel provided by the hoster
> b) you get direct access to the Xen console, so you can watch the
> machine boot and fix stuff
>
> Point b) is seldom possible with dedicated servers (unless you pay
> extra), and also rare for a VPS. Point a) is usually not available on VPS.

Slicehost has (b), but you are stuck using their custom kernel

Thomas Jost 03-18-2010 04:39 PM

Dedicated Arch servers

Le 18/03/2010 17:34, Nilesh Govindarajan a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> Do you know some dedicated server / VPS provider (unmanaged), who
> supports Arch Linux, with good service and reasonable rates ?

Kimsufi (http://www.kimsufi.com/), by OVH, in France. Real dedicated
server with 2 GB of RAM, a 500 GB hard drive and unlimited bandwidth for
30 €/month... You can install Arch Linux in a few clicks from the web
interface. You can use your own kernel, or one provided by OVH (from a
NFS mount -- you don't have to care about that, you just specify the
name of your root device and it works).

I have a server there since 2007, I recently switched from Gentoo to
Arch Linux (by hand, without losing any data, just moving partitions
around and rebooting a few times :)). Every time I had a problem (4
times in 3 years, my fault every time ;)), I could fix it either by
rebooting in "rescue mode" from the web interface (server rebooting on a
special image on a NFS mount), or by waiting (max. 2-3 hours) for a
technician to come and tell me what he could see on the screen when
rebooting the machine by hand.

--
Thomas/Schnouki

Sam Harada 03-18-2010 07:45 PM

Dedicated Arch servers

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 10:04:58PM +0530, Nilesh Govindarajan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Do you know some dedicated server / VPS provider (unmanaged), who
> supports Arch Linux, with good service and reasonable rates ?
>
> --
> Nilesh Govindarajan
> Site & Server Adminstrator
> www.itech7.com

I've been using Linode for a while without issues. Well, there was one issue,
but that was resolved by upgrading to a non-obsolete kernel. (The
fsck-failure-at-boot thing was the problem.)

That said, I haven't used any other so by all means take this with a few grains
of salt.

Nilesh Govindarajan 03-19-2010 01:12 AM

Dedicated Arch servers

[...]

Solid and cheap. Nice one. 30 Euro / mnth is not too costly for me in INR.

--
Nilesh Govindarajan
Site & Server Adminstrator