Old 03-18-2010, 01:16 PM
Nicolás Reynolds

Default DVD's won't read

jue, mar 18, 2010 at 06:07:20 +0530, Nilesh Govindarajan dijo:
> Hi,
>
> I'm experiencing this problem from quite a long time. But I don't know why.
>
> I have a LG DVD Writer. It supports writing and reading DVD-R DVD+R
> DVD-RW DVD+RW, all CDs and some other DVD flavors I don't remember.
>
> I tried a Fedora boot DVD at boot, it worked. But inside arch (it
> was the same problem with fedora), it won't work.
>
> I don't think this needs any special driver because previously I'd
> never configured a special driver for that.
>
> CD's work fine though.

it's sata or ide? when i started using linux i had to change the 40
"strings" ide cable to one of 80, due to troubles while reading/writing
dvds...

hope this helps

--
Salud!
Nicolás Reynolds,

http://librecultivo.org.ar
http://parabolagnulinux.org

Old 03-18-2010, 02:14 PM
Nilesh Govindarajan

jue, mar 18, 2010 at 06:07:20 +0530, Nilesh Govindarajan dijo:

Hi,

I'm experiencing this problem from quite a long time. But I don't know why.

I have a LG DVD Writer. It supports writing and reading DVD-R DVD+R
DVD-RW DVD+RW, all CDs and some other DVD flavors I don't remember.

I tried a Fedora boot DVD at boot, it worked. But inside arch (it
was the same problem with fedora), it won't work.

I don't think this needs any special driver because previously I'd
never configured a special driver for that.

CD's work fine though.

it's sata or ide? when i started using linux i had to change the 40
"strings" ide cable to one of 80, due to troubles while reading/writing
dvds...

hope this helps

Its connected by IDE now. I have a SATA converter with me though. Should
I use that for my drive ?

--
Nilesh Govindarajan
Site & Server Adminstrator

Old 03-18-2010, 03:02 PM
"Roberto Malinverni"

> >> jue, mar 18, 2010 at 06:07:20 +0530, Nilesh Govindarajan dijo:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I'm experiencing this problem from quite a long time. But
> >> I don't know why.
> >>
> >> I have a LG DVD Writer. It supports writing and reading DVD-R DVD+R
> >> DVD-RW DVD+RW, all CDs and some other DVD flavors I don't remember.
> >>
> >> I tried a Fedora boot DVD at boot, it worked. But inside arch (it
> >> was the same problem with fedora), it won't work.
> >>
> >> I don't think this needs any special driver because previously I'd
> >> never configured a special driver for that.
> >>
> >> CD's work fine though.
> >
> > it's sata or ide? when i started using linux i had to change the 40
> > "strings" ide cable to one of 80, due to troubles while
> > reading/writing
> > dvds...
> >
> > hope this helps
> >

> Its connected by IDE now. I have a SATA converter with me
> though. Should
> I use that for my drive ?

Nope. If it is a ide device, just check that your ide cable is of the type
with 80 conductors.
Take a look at the images here, to see the difference between a 40 and a 80
conductor cable (both have 40 pin).
My NEC DVDRW refused to work without such a cable.
Roberto

--
Il messaggio e' stato analizzato alla ricerca di virus o
contenuti pericolosi da MailScanner, ed e'

Old 03-18-2010, 03:24 PM
Felipe Tanus

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 1:02 PM, Roberto Malinverni <
roberto.malinverni@dico.coop.it> wrote:

> Nope. If it is a ide device, just check that your ide cable is of the type
> with 80 conductors.
> Take a look at the images here, to see the difference between a 40 and a 80
> conductor cable (both have 40 pin).
> My NEC DVDRW refused to work without such a cable.
> Roberto
>

> --
> Il messaggio e' stato analizzato alla ricerca di virus o
> contenuti pericolosi da MailScanner, ed e'
> risultato non infetto.

Hi,
I'm not sure if it's the best solution. Nilesh said that it works on
fedora, so it must be some sort of software config for this. In fact this
really got my attention, since I have no clue why such workaround works. If
you know why, please share with us.

--
Felipe de Oliveira Tanus
E-mail: fotanus@gmail.com

Old 03-18-2010, 03:25 PM
Nilesh Govindarajan

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 1:02 PM, Roberto Malinverni<
Nope. If it is a ide device, just check that your ide cable is of the type
with 80 conductors.
Take a look at the images here, to see the difference between a 40 and a 80
conductor cable (both have 40 pin).
My NEC DVDRW refused to work without such a cable.
Roberto

--
Il messaggio e' stato analizzato alla ricerca di virus o
contenuti pericolosi da MailScanner, ed e'
risultato non infetto.

Hi,
I'm not sure if it's the best solution. Nilesh said that it works on
fedora, so it must be some sort of software config for this. In fact this
really got my attention, since I have no clue why such workaround works. If
you know why, please share with us.

I never said it works on fedora !! It used to work. But later it stopped
working.

--
Nilesh Govindarajan
Site & Server Adminstrator

Old 03-18-2010, 03:30 PM
Felipe Tanus

> I never said it works on fedora !! It used to work. But later it stopped
> working.
>

> --
> Nilesh Govindarajan
> Site & Server Adminstrator
> www.itech7.com

Here another world mistery was born and died by miss comunication
sorry for the noise.

Old 03-18-2010, 03:50 PM
Nilesh Govindarajan

[...]

My drive has in total only 40 pins. How an 80 pin connector would fit
into it ?

--
Nilesh Govindarajan
Site & Server Adminstrator

Old 03-18-2010, 03:59 PM
Nicolás Reynolds

jue, mar 18, 2010 at 10:20:21 +0530, Nilesh Govindarajan dijo:
> On 03/18/2010 09:32 PM, Roberto Malinverni wrote:
> >Nope. If it is a ide device, just check that your ide cable is of the type
> >with 80 conductors.
> >Take a look at the images here, to see the difference between a 40 and a 80
> >conductor cable (both have 40 pin).
> >My NEC DVDRW refused to work without such a cable.
> >Roberto
> >

> My drive has in total only 40 pins. How an 80 pin connector would
> fit into it ?

it's the same connector with more conductors

--
Salud!
Nicolás Reynolds,

http://librecultivo.org.ar
http://parabolagnulinux.org

Old 03-18-2010, 04:19 PM
Nilesh Govindarajan

jue, mar 18, 2010 at 10:20:21 +0530, Nilesh Govindarajan dijo:

Nope. If it is a ide device, just check that your ide cable is of the type
with 80 conductors.
Take a look at the images here, to see the difference between a 40 and a 80
conductor cable (both have 40 pin).
My NEC DVDRW refused to work without such a cable.
Roberto

My drive has in total only 40 pins. How an 80 pin connector would
fit into it ?

it's the same connector with more conductors

Here are some images of the connector I use -
http://simplest-image-hosting.net/i0-pict0238-jpg.jpg
http://simplest-image-hosting.net/i0-pict0239-jpg.jpg
http://simplest-image-hosting.net/i0-pict0240-jpg-0.jpg

This contains 40 pins and fits exactly into the socket of the drive.
Show me some photos of 80 pin connector

Do you think converting it to SATA using IDE-SATA converter will work ?

--
Nilesh Govindarajan
Site & Server Adminstrator

Old 03-18-2010, 04:27 PM
Felipe Tanus

> Here are some images of the connector I use -
> http://simplest-image-hosting.net/i0-pict0238-jpg.jpg
> http://simplest-image-hosting.net/i0-pict0239-jpg.jpg
> http://simplest-image-hosting.net/i0-pict0240-jpg-0.jpg
>
> This contains 40 pins and fits exactly into the socket of the drive. Show
> me some photos of 80 pin connector

http://c-online.co.il/var/6894/226692-IDE_cable_40_pin_&_80_pin.jpg

The yellow one is 80 pin. There is no diference in the connector.

> Do you think converting it to SATA using IDE-SATA converter will work ?

I'm not familiar with this connector, but may be worth to try if you already
have one. It probabily don't if you have to use your 40pin cable to connect
the HD to the connector, but who knows?