Old 03-18-2010, 10:38 AM
"David C. Rankin"

Default kernel26 2.6.32.10-1 Boot Failure at initrd/initramfs

On 03/18/2010 03:31 AM, Nilesh Govindarajan wrote:
> On 03/18/2010 12:47 PM, David C. Rankin wrote:
>> Guys,
>>
>> I just attempted an update which installed kernel26 2.6.32.10-1 on
>> my x86_64
>> box. After the update, the box failed to boot and the boot process
>> stopped at
>> the initrd/initramfs. (I have the slash because I can't remember the
>> exact
>> init----) But it was very early in the boot process. I have checked
>> logs and
>> nothing for this boot attempt was written to the logs. I suspect it
>> was too
>> early in the boot process for logging to be enabled.
>>
>> I have never tried to recover from a failed arch boot before.
>> What's the proper
>> way. Boot with the install cd and chroot your install and either
>> downgrade to
>> the last kernel or try mkinitcpio again?
>>

> I think initrd and initramfs barely mean the same thing. initrd stands
> for Initial RAM Disk and initramfs for Initial RAM Filesystem.
>
> If you could give the exact error message, we could get some idea about it.
>
> You can try mkinitcpio. Then if it doesn't work downgrade.

Ok,

I tried loading it again and it is "Initrd". As soon as you get the Initrd
message, it just sits there and 30 secnds later or so, it reboots.

I also have the LTS kernel installed and it is just fine. That's what I'm
running on currently. With that clarification, what say the gurus?

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC

Old 03-18-2010, 10:41 AM
"David C. Rankin"

On 03/18/2010 04:01 AM, Emmanuel Benisty wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 2:17 PM, David C. Rankin
> <drankinatty@suddenlinkmail.com> wrote:
>> I just attempted an update which installed kernel26 2.6.32.10-1 on my x86_64
>> box. After the update, the box failed to boot and the boot process stopped at
>> the initrd/initramfs.
>
> did you try the fallback image ?

Nope,

I just switched to the LTS kernel. I can give it a try in a bit. (backup is
busy right now)

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC

Old 03-18-2010, 10:59 AM
Nilesh Govindarajan

[...]

I think your kernel has got corrupt. Try reinstalling it.

--
Nilesh Govindarajan
Site & Server Adminstrator