Old 03-18-2010, 08:05 AM
lolilolicon

Default kernel26 2.6.32.10-1 Boot Failure at initrd/initramfs

On 03/18/10 at 02:17am, David C. Rankin wrote:
> Guys,
>
> I just attempted an update which installed kernel26 2.6.32.10-1 on my x86_64
> box. After the update, the box failed to boot and the boot process stopped at
> the initrd/initramfs. (I have the slash because I can't remember the exact
> init----) But it was very early in the boot process. I have checked logs and
> nothing for this boot attempt was written to the logs. I suspect it was too
> early in the boot process for logging to be enabled.
>
> I have never tried to recover from a failed arch boot before. What's the proper
> way. Boot with the install cd and chroot your install and either downgrade to
> the last kernel or try mkinitcpio again?

You should be able to boot from the fallback image.

I had this issue once, and the error message was "can't find root
filesystem in 30 seconds"; what I did for recovering was:
reboot from fallback image
add to /etc/mkinitcpio.conf MODULES="ext4"
mkinitcpio -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/kernel26.img
reboot from the new image
since I heard that new kernel had worse performance for ext4 than
the previous one, and my / was ext4.

You should also read the mkinitcpio wiki page for more info.