Old 03-18-2010, 07:31 AM
Nilesh Govindarajan

Default kernel26 2.6.32.10-1 Boot Failure at initrd/initramfs

On 03/18/2010 12:47 PM, David C. Rankin wrote:

Guys,

I just attempted an update which installed kernel26 2.6.32.10-1 on my x86_64
box. After the update, the box failed to boot and the boot process stopped at
the initrd/initramfs. (I have the slash because I can't remember the exact
init----) But it was very early in the boot process. I have checked logs and
nothing for this boot attempt was written to the logs. I suspect it was too
early in the boot process for logging to be enabled.

I have never tried to recover from a failed arch boot before. What's the proper
way. Boot with the install cd and chroot your install and either downgrade to
the last kernel or try mkinitcpio again?

I think initrd and initramfs barely mean the same thing. initrd stands
for Initial RAM Disk and initramfs for Initial RAM Filesystem.

If you could give the exact error message, we could get some idea about it.

You can try mkinitcpio. Then if it doesn't work downgrade.

--
Nilesh Govindarajan
Site & Server Adminstrator

Old 03-18-2010, 08:01 AM
Emmanuel Benisty

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 2:17 PM, David C. Rankin
<drankinatty@suddenlinkmail.com> wrote:
> * * * *I just attempted an update which installed kernel26 2.6.32.10-1 on my x86_64
> box. After the update, the box failed to boot and the boot process stopped at
> the initrd/initramfs.

did you try the fallback image ?

Old 03-18-2010, 10:40 AM
"David C. Rankin"

On 03/18/2010 04:05 AM, lolilolicon wrote:
> On 03/18/10 at 02:17am, David C. Rankin wrote:
>> Guys,
>>
>> I just attempted an update which installed kernel26 2.6.32.10-1 on my x86_64
>> box. After the update, the box failed to boot and the boot process stopped at
>> the initrd/initramfs. (I have the slash because I can't remember the exact
>> init----) But it was very early in the boot process. I have checked logs and
>> nothing for this boot attempt was written to the logs. I suspect it was too
>> early in the boot process for logging to be enabled.
>>
>> I have never tried to recover from a failed arch boot before. What's the proper
>> way. Boot with the install cd and chroot your install and either downgrade to
>> the last kernel or try mkinitcpio again?
>>

> You should be able to boot from the fallback image.
>
> I had this issue once, and the error message was "can't find root
> filesystem in 30 seconds"; what I did for recovering was:
> reboot from fallback image
> add to /etc/mkinitcpio.conf MODULES="ext4"
> mkinitcpio -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/kernel26.img
> reboot from the new image
> since I heard that new kernel had worse performance for ext4 than
> the previous one, and my / was ext4.
>
> You should also read the mkinitcpio wiki page for more info.

Hmm /boot and / are ext3 and the data drives are ext4. I'll give it a try.
Currently I'm not loading the ext4 module in the mkinitcpio.conf MODULES line.
Can't hurt.......

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC