FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > ArchLinux > ArchLinux General Discussion

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 03-17-2010, 01:41 PM
David Rosenstrauch
 
Default Thunderbird 3 annoyance

I'm having a little annoyance with TBird 3, and was wondering if anyone
was experiencing the same thing and/or had a workaround.


I have a large tree of folders in TBird, from 2 different IMAP accounts.
So I use the "Unread Folders" view, in conjunction with the
mail.check_all_imap_folders_for_new config setting.


Problem is that since the upgrade to TBird 3, when TBird grabs new
email, it automatically selects a different folder in the left ("Unread
Folders") pane. This is really irritating. I really want TBird to just
stay on the folder I've selected - no matter whether it gets new email
or not.


Anyone know how to fix this? Is there some magic new config setting for
this?


I tried googling on this, but it's hard to find good search terms to
describe the problem.


Thanks,

DR
 
Old 03-17-2010, 01:46 PM
Ionut Biru
 
Default Thunderbird 3 annoyance

On 03/17/2010 04:41 PM, David Rosenstrauch wrote:

I'm having a little annoyance with TBird 3, and was wondering if anyone
was experiencing the same thing and/or had a workaround.

I have a large tree of folders in TBird, from 2 different IMAP accounts.
So I use the "Unread Folders" view, in conjunction with the
mail.check_all_imap_folders_for_new config setting.

Problem is that since the upgrade to TBird 3, when TBird grabs new
email, it automatically selects a different folder in the left ("Unread
Folders") pane. This is really irritating. I really want TBird to just
stay on the folder I've selected - no matter whether it gets new email
or not.

Anyone know how to fix this? Is there some magic new config setting for
this?

I tried googling on this, but it's hard to find good search terms to
describe the problem.

Thanks,

DR


maybe is not a matter of configs. maybe this is really a bug and should
be submitted upstream.


--
Ionut
 
Old 03-17-2010, 01:49 PM
David Rosenstrauch
 
Default Thunderbird 3 annoyance

On 03/17/2010 10:46 AM, Ionut Biru wrote:

maybe is not a matter of configs. maybe this is really a bug and should
be submitted upstream.


Could be. If so, though, I'd like to get some more info on the problem
first.


Anyone else experiencing this issue with TBird automagically selecting a
different folder?


Thanks,

DR
 
Old 03-17-2010, 04:57 PM
David Rosenstrauch
 
Default Thunderbird 3 annoyance

On 03/17/2010 10:46 AM, Ionut Biru wrote:

On 03/17/2010 04:41 PM, David Rosenstrauch wrote:

I'm having a little annoyance with TBird 3, and was wondering if anyone
was experiencing the same thing and/or had a workaround.

I have a large tree of folders in TBird, from 2 different IMAP accounts.
So I use the "Unread Folders" view, in conjunction with the
mail.check_all_imap_folders_for_new config setting.

Problem is that since the upgrade to TBird 3, when TBird grabs new
email, it automatically selects a different folder in the left ("Unread
Folders") pane. This is really irritating. I really want TBird to just
stay on the folder I've selected - no matter whether it gets new email
or not.

Anyone know how to fix this? Is there some magic new config setting for
this?

I tried googling on this, but it's hard to find good search terms to
describe the problem.

Thanks,

DR


maybe is not a matter of configs. maybe this is really a bug and should
be submitted upstream.


Looks like it is ... and somebody already has:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=540289

Thanks,

DR
 
Old 03-18-2010, 01:37 AM
"David C. Rankin"
 
Default Thunderbird 3 annoyance

On 03/17/2010 09:41 AM, David Rosenstrauch wrote:
> I'm having a little annoyance with TBird 3, and was wondering if anyone
> was experiencing the same thing and/or had a workaround.
>
> I have a large tree of folders in TBird, from 2 different IMAP accounts.
> So I use the "Unread Folders" view, in conjunction with the
> mail.check_all_imap_folders_for_new config setting.
>
> Problem is that since the upgrade to TBird 3, when TBird grabs new
> email, it automatically selects a different folder in the left ("Unread
> Folders") pane. This is really irritating. I really want TBird to just
> stay on the folder I've selected - no matter whether it gets new email
> or not.
>
> Anyone know how to fix this? Is there some magic new config setting for
> this?
>
> I tried googling on this, but it's hard to find good search terms to
> describe the problem.
>
> Thanks,
>
> DR
>

DR,

Likewise, I have 2 imaps configured with ~ 60 folders total. I just use the
inboxes for the imap itself and then use the normal threaded view and/or sort by
sender and move messages into their respective folders. I haven't worked with
seive yet or taken the time to setup procmail beyond spamassassin. I haven't
noticed any changes. I just rely on the folder highlighting and the count for
new mail message ID. Dunno if it helps, but here is a small screenshot of the
view that provides.

http://www.3111skyline.com/dl/img/ss/archlinux/tbird3-2imap.jpg



--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC
510 Ochiltree Street
Nacogdoches, Texas 75961
Telephone: (936) 715-9333
Facsimile: (936) 715-9339
www.rankinlawfirm.com
 
Old 03-18-2010, 02:42 PM
David Rosenstrauch
 
Default Thunderbird 3 annoyance

On 03/17/2010 10:37 PM, David C. Rankin wrote:

Likewise, I have 2 imaps configured with ~ 60 folders total. I just use the
inboxes for the imap itself and then use the normal threaded view and/or sort by
sender and move messages into their respective folders. I haven't worked with
seive yet or taken the time to setup procmail beyond spamassassin. I haven't
noticed any changes. I just rely on the folder highlighting and the count for
new mail message ID. Dunno if it helps, but here is a small screenshot of the
view that provides.

http://www.3111skyline.com/dl/img/ss/archlinux/tbird3-2imap.jpg


Dude - you badly need to use "Unread Folders" mode! :-)

See "Only display folders with unread messages" on this page:
http://www.ghacks.net/2008/03/24/five-advanced-thunderbird-tips/


DR
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:18 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org