Old 03-17-2010, 01:06 AM
Damjan Georgievski

Default HAL depreciation

Does anyone know how much of HAL is needed in ArchLinux these days?
I'm asking because I've learned that both udev and HAL configure the
keymap of input devices nowdays and
I wonder what other former HAL features are already implemented in udev.

--
damjan

Old 03-17-2010, 01:08 AM
"Jeffrey Lynn Parke Jr."

the usb mice don't work without hal, or do they now. They didn't used to

Old 03-17-2010, 01:20 AM
Ty John (sand_man)

On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 21:08:42 -0500
"Jeffrey Lynn Parke Jr." <jeffrey.parke@gmail.com> wrote:

> the usb mice don't work without hal, or do they now. They didn't used
>
> On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 9:06 PM, Damjan Georgievski
> <gdamjan@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know how much of HAL is needed in ArchLinux these days?
> > I'm asking because I've learned that both udev and HAL configure the
> > keymap of input devices nowdays and
> > I wonder what other former HAL features are already implemented in
> > udev.
> >
> > --
> > damjan

USB mice have worked without hal for a long time. It's just hotplugging
that won't work.

Old 03-17-2010, 01:38 AM
Nilesh Govindarajan

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 7:50 AM, Ty John <ty-ml@eye-of-odin.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 21:08:42 -0500
> "Jeffrey Lynn Parke Jr." <jeffrey.parke@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> the usb mice don't work without hal, or do they now. They didn't used
>>
>> On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 9:06 PM, Damjan Georgievski
>> <gdamjan@gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>> > Does anyone know how much of HAL is needed in ArchLinux these days?
>> > I'm asking because I've learned that both udev and HAL configure the
>> > keymap of input devices nowdays and
>> > I wonder what other former HAL features are already implemented in
>> > udev.
>> >
>> > --
>> > damjan
>> >

> USB mice have worked without hal for a long time. It's just hotplugging
> that won't work.

Well, I recently copied /etc/group.pacnew to /etc/group which didn't
have the hal and gdm groups.
HAL didn't start, and when I started KDE (xinit startkde) or GDM or
KDM, neither keyboard nor mouse worked. After adding hal group, it
worked fine, since HAL started succesfully.

--
Nilesh Govindarajan
Site & Server Administrator

Old 03-17-2010, 03:46 AM
Ty John (sand_man)

On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 08:08:22 +0530
Nilesh Govindarajan <lists@itech7.com> wrote:

> > USB mice have worked without hal for a long time. It's just
> > hotplugging that won't work.
> >

> Well, I recently copied /etc/group.pacnew to /etc/group which didn't
> have the hal and gdm groups.
> HAL didn't start, and when I started KDE (xinit startkde) or GDM or
> KDM, neither keyboard nor mouse worked. After adding hal group, it
> worked fine, since HAL started succesfully.

But did you put it in your xorg.conf file?

Old 03-17-2010, 03:54 AM
Nilesh Govindarajan

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 10:16 AM, Ty John <ty-ml@eye-of-odin.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 08:08:22 +0530
> Nilesh Govindarajan <lists@itech7.com> wrote:
>
>> > USB mice have worked without hal for a long time. It's just
>> > hotplugging that won't work.
>> >

>> Well, I recently copied /etc/group.pacnew to /etc/group which didn't
>> have the hal and gdm groups.
>> HAL didn't start, and when I started KDE (xinit startkde) or GDM or
>> KDM, neither keyboard nor mouse worked. After adding hal group, it
>> worked fine, since HAL started succesfully.
>>

> But did you put it in your xorg.conf file?

What to put ?

--
Nilesh Govindarajan
Site & Server Administrator

Old 03-17-2010, 04:16 AM
Ty John (sand_man)

On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 10:24:54 +0530

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xorg#Configuring

Old 03-17-2010, 04:27 AM
jwbirdsong

USB mice have worked without hal for a long time. It's just
hotplugging that won't work.

Well, I recently copied /etc/group.pacnew to /etc/group which didn't
have the hal and gdm groups.
HAL didn't start, and when I started KDE (xinit startkde) or GDM or
KDM, neither keyboard nor mouse worked. After adding hal group, it
worked fine, since HAL started succesfully.

But did you put it in your xorg.conf file?

What to put ?
in addition to what Ty posted there is also
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Get_All_Mouse_Buttons_Working that
has some pointers

Old 03-17-2010, 04:46 AM
Nilesh Govindarajan

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 10:57 AM, jwbirdsong
<jwbirdsong@jwbirdsong.homelinux.com> wrote:
> On 03/16/2010 10:54 PM, Nilesh Govindarajan wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 10:16 AM, Ty John<ty-ml@eye-of-odin.com> *wrote:

>>> But did you put it in your xorg.conf file?
>>>

>> What to put ?
>
> in addition to what Ty posted there is also
> http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Get_All_Mouse_Buttons_Working *that has
> some pointers

I don't have seven mouse buttons.
The mouse and keyboard is already configured in xorg.conf using
drivers mouse and kbd.
If I stop hal, and then start Xorg, it doesn't work. I've to hard reset my box.

--
Nilesh Govindarajan
Site & Server Administrator

Old 03-17-2010, 06:54 AM
Jan de Groot

On Wed, 2010-03-17 at 03:06 +0100, Damjan Georgievski wrote:
> Does anyone know how much of HAL is needed in ArchLinux these days?
> I'm asking because I've learned that both udev and HAL configure the
> keymap of input devices nowdays and
> I wonder what other former HAL features are already implemented in udev.

At this moment several applications, including XFCE and KDE, use hal for
removable device handling. xorg-server still uses hal to configure input
devices.
Starting from xorg-server 1.8, we'll disable the hal backend and switch
to udev, devices will get configured through udev rules in that case.
This will cause some breakage of existing setups, but there's no way to
enable both backends.
KDE should support udisks/upower in the next major release. I don't know
about XFCE though, but if that one follows, I'm almost sure hal will no
longer exist in 2011.