Old 03-15-2010, 12:04 PM
Damien Churchill

Default Arch is ummnn different: my 1st installation: tried to install xfce...OOPS!

On 15 March 2010 06:19, Joe(theWordy)Philbrook <jtwdyp@ttlc.net> wrote:

> Could some nice Arch user point me at enough step by step instructions so
> that I can get enough of a gui up to use a browser like firefox so I can
> try to find solutions via the web while Arch is actually running???

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners'_Guide is always a good
place to start.

Old 03-15-2010, 06:01 PM
"Jeffrey Lynn Parke Jr."

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 12:26 PM, Guus Snijders <gsnijders@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 15-03-10 14:07, Jeffrey Parke wrote:
>
> [installing XFCE, xorg]
>

> Have you read the beginners guide? It's a great help for times like
>> these, I'll post it below. Well what you wanna do now is to install the
>> xorg group (pacman -S xorg) then the xfce group (pacman -S xfce4). Then
>> move the .xinitrc file to your home folder (cp /etc/skel/.xinitrc/
>> /home/user/.xinitrc); edit this file to so that the line with startxfce4
>> is uncommented (in other words has a '#' in front of it. Finally, run
>> 'startx'
>>

> Actually, you should /remove/ the '#' from the start of that line...
>

> mvg,
> Guus

that's exactly what I said, just wanted to make sure he new what a comment
was.

Old 03-16-2010, 04:58 PM
Thayer Williams

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 1:22 AM, Joe(theWordy)Philbrook <jtwdyp@ttlc.net> wrote:
> It does look like getting Arch Linux configured the way I need it is going
> to take a bit more work than I'm used to. But if the "rolling release" part
> of what I've read about it means I won't have to recreate my personal user
> environment (heavily modified keyboard shortcuts etc...) every 6 months or
> so just to keep up to date, then I figure it'll be more than worth the effort.

Welcome aboard and glad you're getting things sorted out. Once you
have used a rolling release distro, everything else just seems silly.
Reinstall every six months? No thanks!

Old 03-16-2010, 05:58 PM
"Guilherme M. Nogueira"

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 3:12 PM, David Rosenstrauch <darose@darose.net>wrote:

> 3) "If you were running Arch, you wouldn't be running into so many bugs on
> upgrade ... because you'd never wind up upgrading so many packages all at
> the same time."

Except when there's a new KDE release.... then it's easily 100+ packages =P

--
Guilherme M. Nogueira
- Arthur C. Clarke