FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > ArchLinux > ArchLinux General Discussion

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 03-13-2010, 12:41 PM
Nilesh Govindarajan
 
Default Hacking into HAL's mount process

By default HAL adds the flush flag when USB devices are mounted... I
think which is what making WRITEs slow.
I want that HAL shouldn't add the flush flag. How to ?

--
Nilesh Govindarajan
Site & Server Administrator
www.itech7.com
 
Old 03-14-2010, 07:33 AM
Ray Rashif
 
Default Hacking into HAL's mount process

On 13/03/2010, Nilesh Govindarajan <lists@itech7.com> wrote:
> By default HAL adds the flush flag when USB devices are mounted... I
> think which is what making WRITEs slow.
> I want that HAL shouldn't add the flush flag. How to ?

Funny..I remember the very reason for making "flush" a default mount
option was because users were frantically trying to convince everyone
around that it would allow for optimal performance of flash-based
storage, aside from running the risk of losing data without it.


--
GPG/PGP ID: B42DDCAD
 
Old 03-14-2010, 01:11 PM
Robert Howard
 
Default Hacking into HAL's mount process

Yes, it's all placebo effect. What seems like faster transfers is really the
use of write caching and not a good idea for removable media. Could leave
the data and filesystem in inconsistent states if the device were
accidentally removed or if power failed.

On Mar 14, 2010 4:33 AM, "Ray Rashif" <schivmeister@gmail.com> wrote:

On 13/03/2010, Nilesh Govindarajan <lists@itech7.com> wrote:
> By default HAL adds the flush flag wh...
Funny..I remember the very reason for making "flush" a default mount
option was because users were frantically trying to convince everyone
around that it would allow for optimal performance of flash-based
storage, aside from running the risk of losing data without it.


--
GPG/PGP ID: B42DDCAD
 
Old 03-14-2010, 01:21 PM
Nilesh Govindarajan
 
Default Hacking into HAL's mount process

On 03/14/2010 07:41 PM, Robert Howard wrote:

Yes, it's all placebo effect. What seems like faster transfers is really the
use of write caching and not a good idea for removable media. Could leave
the data and filesystem in inconsistent states if the device were
accidentally removed or if power failed.

On Mar 14, 2010 4:33 AM, "Ray Rashif"<schivmeister@gmail.com> wrote:

On 13/03/2010, Nilesh Govindarajan<lists@itech7.com> wrote:

By default HAL adds the flush flag wh...

Funny..I remember the very reason for making "flush" a default mount
option was because users were frantically trying to convince everyone
around that it would allow for optimal performance of flash-based
storage, aside from running the risk of losing data without it.


--
GPG/PGP ID: B42DDCAD


@Ray,
If the device has small buffer size, then it takes lot of time. Who
want's to shell out more bucks for this simple flush thing to get a
device with bigger buffer size.


@Robert,
Power would fail if there was no UPS. But I have one.

Also, my transfers are super slow. It takes more than 15 minutes to
transfer 500 megs !!


Previously I used to boast among my friends for Linux being fast with
USB transfers.


--
Nilesh Govindarajan
Site & Server Adminstrator
www.itech7.com
 
Old 03-14-2010, 02:00 PM
Mauro Santos
 
Default Hacking into HAL's mount process

On 03/14/2010 02:21 PM, Nilesh Govindarajan wrote:
> On 03/14/2010 07:41 PM, Robert Howard wrote:
>> Yes, it's all placebo effect. What seems like faster transfers is
>> really the
>> use of write caching and not a good idea for removable media. Could leave
>> the data and filesystem in inconsistent states if the device were
>> accidentally removed or if power failed.
>>
>> On Mar 14, 2010 4:33 AM, "Ray Rashif"<schivmeister@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 13/03/2010, Nilesh Govindarajan<lists@itech7.com> wrote:
>>> By default HAL adds the flush flag wh...
>> Funny..I remember the very reason for making "flush" a default mount
>> option was because users were frantically trying to convince everyone
>> around that it would allow for optimal performance of flash-based
>> storage, aside from running the risk of losing data without it.
>>
>>
>> --
>> GPG/PGP ID: B42DDCAD
>
> @Ray,
> If the device has small buffer size, then it takes lot of time. Who
> want's to shell out more bucks for this simple flush thing to get a
> device with bigger buffer size.
>
> @Robert,
> Power would fail if there was no UPS. But I have one.
>
> Also, my transfers are super slow. It takes more than 15 minutes to
> transfer 500 megs !!
>
> Previously I used to boast among my friends for Linux being fast with
> USB transfers.
>

I have to agree with the use of an UPS, it helps not only to avoid data
loss but also hardware damage, and these days you can get a cheap UPS
that can supply power for a reasonable amount of time.

On the device being accidentally removed, either way you can have data
loss, also people should really unmount and check the device is idle
before removing it, otherwise bad things can happen.

Most devices have an activity indicator and users should have the good
sense to look at that indicator (when it exists) to check for activity
before removing the device, even when properly unmounting a device ...
although I guess some users will never learn and will complain when bad
thing happen because of a problem that is between the keyboard and the
chair.

Caching may also help if you perform several changes (writes and reads)
in the device before committing all changes, as in deleting many files
or writing many files.
 
Old 03-14-2010, 02:20 PM
 
Default Hacking into HAL's mount process

On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 07:51:28PM +0530, Nilesh Govindarajan wrote:

> @Ray,
> If the device has small buffer size, then it takes lot of time. Who
> want's to shell out more bucks for this simple flush thing to get a
> device with bigger buffer size.
>
> @Robert,
> Power would fail if there was no UPS. But I have one.
>
> Also, my transfers are super slow. It takes more than 15 minutes to
> transfer 500 megs !!
>
> Previously I used to boast among my friends for Linux being fast
> with USB transfers.

Just put the device in /etc/fstab with whatever options
you want, (u)mount it manually and forget about hal.

Ciao,

--
FA

O tu, che porte, correndo si ?
E guerra e morte !
 
Old 03-14-2010, 02:28 PM
Nilesh Govindarajan
 
Default Hacking into HAL's mount process

On 03/14/2010 08:50 PM, fons@kokkinizita.net wrote:

On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 07:51:28PM +0530, Nilesh Govindarajan wrote:


@Ray,
If the device has small buffer size, then it takes lot of time. Who
want's to shell out more bucks for this simple flush thing to get a
device with bigger buffer size.

@Robert,
Power would fail if there was no UPS. But I have one.

Also, my transfers are super slow. It takes more than 15 minutes to
transfer 500 megs !!

Previously I used to boast among my friends for Linux being fast
with USB transfers.


Just put the device in /etc/fstab with whatever options
you want, (u)mount it manually and forget about hal.

Ciao,



Doesn't do good. I have multiple pen drives

--
Nilesh Govindarajan
Site & Server Adminstrator
www.itech7.com
 
Old 03-14-2010, 03:02 PM
Edgar Kalkowski
 
Default Hacking into HAL's mount process

Am oder ungefähr am Sonntag, 14. März 2010, schrieb Nilesh Govindarajan:
> On 03/14/2010 08:50 PM, fons@kokkinizita.net wrote:
> > On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 07:51:28PM +0530, Nilesh Govindarajan wrote:
> >
> > Just put the device in /etc/fstab with whatever options
> > you want, (u)mount it manually and forget about hal.
> >
> > Ciao,
> >
>
> Doesn't do good. I have multiple pen drives

In this case you can either use labels or uuids to identify them in /etc/fstab, e.g.

/dev/disk/by-label/Data /mnt/Data vfat uid=root,gid=users,showexec,user,noauto,umask=002, utf8,shortname=mixed 0 0
/dev/disk/by-uuid/55ba4890-140e-4087-8851-3c17b295c421 /mnt/Archiv ext4 defaults,user,exec,noauto 0 0




Ed
 
Old 03-14-2010, 03:03 PM
 
Default Hacking into HAL's mount process

On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 08:58:45PM +0530, Nilesh Govindarajan wrote:

> On 03/14/2010 08:50 PM, fons@kokkinizita.net wrote:
>
> >Just put the device in /etc/fstab with whatever options
> >you want, (u)mount it manually and forget about hal.
>
> Doesn't do good. I have multiple pen drives

Same here, no problem. Label them, use the label
to identify them in /etc/fstab, and have each of
them mounted to its own fixed place.

Ciao,

--
FA

O tu, che porte, correndo si ?
E guerra e morte !
 
Old 03-14-2010, 03:08 PM
 
Default Hacking into HAL's mount process

On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 05:02:47PM +0100, Edgar Kalkowski wrote:

> In this case you can either use labels or uuids to identify them in /etc/fstab, e.g.
>
> /dev/disk/by-label/Data /mnt/Data vfat uid=root,gid=users,showexec,user,noauto,umask=002, utf8,shortname=mixed 0 0
> /dev/disk/by-uuid/55ba4890-140e-4087-8851-3c17b295c421 /mnt/Archiv ext4 defaults,user,exec,noauto 0 0

Don't know for the uuid, but for a label you can
just write:

LABEL=/Data /mnt/Data vfat uid=root,gid=users,showexec,user,noauto,umask=002, utf8,shortname=mixed 0 0

as well.

--
FA

O tu, che porte, correndo si ?
E guerra e morte !
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:09 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org