Old 03-12-2010, 12:19 PM
Dieter Plaetinck

Default Customising arch iso

On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 06:57:46 -0600
Dan McGee <dpmcgee@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 6:29 AM, Dieter Plaetinck
> <dieter@plaetinck.be> wrote:
> > you could also try a netinstall cd and enable the testing repository
> > in /tmp/pacman.conf. *IIRC aif (the installer) uses pacman with that
> > config file, so it might just work, although i never tried it
> > myself. if you are not afraid of looking at bash scripts, look at
> > the source code of aif then you'll see how exactly
> > it works.
>
> A netinstall using a kernel without the necessary network drivers
> might prove hard to use.
>
> -Dan

don't laugh :P i realised it just after hitting submit

Dieter

Old 03-12-2010, 01:15 PM
Damien Churchill

On 12 March 2010 13:19, Dieter Plaetinck <dieter@plaetinck.be> wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 06:57:46 -0600
> Dan McGee <dpmcgee@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 6:29 AM, Dieter Plaetinck
>> <dieter@plaetinck.be> wrote:
>> > you could also try a netinstall cd and enable the testing repository
>> > in /tmp/pacman.conf. *IIRC aif (the installer) uses pacman with that
>> > config file, so it might just work, although i never tried it
>> > myself. if you are not afraid of looking at bash scripts, look at
>> > the source code of aif then you'll see how exactly
>> > it works.
>>
>> A netinstall using a kernel without the necessary network drivers
>> might prove hard to use.
>>
>> -Dan
>
> don't laugh :P i realised it just after hitting submit
>
> Dieter

Using the core installing then just upgrading kernel26 and
kernel26-firmware to 2.6.33 worked just in case anyone was wondering.
Got networking up finally

Old 03-12-2010, 02:37 PM
Aaron Griffin

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 8:15 AM, Damien Churchill <damoxc@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12 March 2010 13:19, Dieter Plaetinck <dieter@plaetinck.be> wrote:
>> On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 06:57:46 -0600
>> Dan McGee <dpmcgee@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> A netinstall using a kernel without the necessary network drivers
>>> might prove hard to use.
>>>
>>> -Dan
>>
>> don't laugh :P i realised it just after hitting submit
>>
>> Dieter
>>

> Using the core installing then just upgrading kernel26 and
> kernel26-firmware to 2.6.33 worked just in case anyone was wondering.
> Got networking up finally

Yeah, I was going to suggest just pulling the kernel updates onto a
thumb drive or something

Old 03-12-2010, 02:48 PM
Thomas Bächler

Am 12.03.2010 16:37, schrieb Aaron Griffin:
>> Using the core installing then just upgrading kernel26 and
>> kernel26-firmware to 2.6.33 worked just in case anyone was wondering.
>> Got networking up finally
>
> Yeah, I was going to suggest just pulling the kernel updates onto a
> thumb drive or something

Someone (as in not me) should really make archiso easier to use and
document it better. The ultimate goal would be the ability to run one
single command to get an up to date ISO - without any more configuration
or other tweaking.

Old 03-12-2010, 02:57 PM
Sven-Hendrik Haase

On 12.03.2010 16:48, Thomas Bächler wrote:
> Am 12.03.2010 16:37, schrieb Aaron Griffin:
>
>>> Using the core installing then just upgrading kernel26 and
>>> kernel26-firmware to 2.6.33 worked just in case anyone was wondering.
>>> Got networking up finally
>>>
>> Yeah, I was going to suggest just pulling the kernel updates onto a
>> thumb drive or something
>>

> Someone (as in not me) should really make archiso easier to use and
> document it better. The ultimate goal would be the ability to run one
> single command to get an up to date ISO - without any more configuration
> or other tweaking.

Just get my AUR package (http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=25996)
to get the utils installed on your system and clone git (git clone
git://projects.archlinux.org/archiso.git) to get the scripts. Then go to
archiso/configs/syslinux-iso/ and run make.
This should get you an updated set of isos for your architecture.

Also, I'm trying hard to keep the archiso wiki article
(http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Archiso) updated and in good shape
to make it easier to make your own Arch-based distribution.

Please let me know if there's anything else left to document until
archiso becomes usuable to you.

-- Sven-Hendrik

Old 03-12-2010, 06:35 PM
Aaron Griffin

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 9:48 AM, Thomas Bächler <thomas@archlinux.org> wrote:
> Am 12.03.2010 16:37, schrieb Aaron Griffin:
>>> Using the core installing then just upgrading kernel26 and
>>> kernel26-firmware to 2.6.33 worked just in case anyone was wondering.
>>> Got networking up finally
>>
>> Yeah, I was going to suggest just pulling the kernel updates onto a
>> thumb drive or something
>>

> Someone (as in not me) should really make archiso easier to use and
> document it better. The ultimate goal would be the ability to run one
> single command to get an up to date ISO - without any more configuration
> or other tweaking.

Well it *is* one command from a git checkout

cd install-iso
make

Old 03-12-2010, 09:49 PM
Thomas Bächler

Am 12.03.2010 20:35, schrieb Aaron Griffin:
> Well it *is* one command from a git checkout
>
> cd install-iso
> make

Let's make that 2:

# pacman -S archiso
# archiso-build-cd --arch i686 --format iso

or something like that

We have an archiso package from 2008 in extra. Any package is better
than that one, no matter how buggy it is.

And an easy-to-use wrapper with a manpage would be nice, so any end user
can easily build an image. I definitely won't have time for that soon,
but maybe someone else can make a patch.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:52 PM
Aaron Griffin

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 4:49 PM, Thomas Bächler <thomas@archlinux.org> wrote:
> Am 12.03.2010 20:35, schrieb Aaron Griffin:
>> Well it *is* one command from a git checkout
>>
>> cd install-iso
>> make
>
> Let's make that 2:
>
> # pacman -S archiso
> # archiso-build-cd --arch i686 --format iso

This is just too complex to do in one command like that, unless it
becomes just a wrapper for what the Makefile does, in which case
you're going to be adding lots of frameworking for error checking and
dependence whatnot (that make provides by default)

As for the packages: I honestly think we should remove it and just
have people checkout from git if they want to build a CD. /shrug