FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor


 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 03-12-2010, 09:51 AM
Damien Churchill
 
Default Customising arch iso

I was just wondering if there are there any up to date instructions
available for customising the arch installer? I only need to upgrade the
kernel to 2.6.32 in order to install (at least that is the first problem I
have encountered).

Thanks in advance,

Damien
 
Old 03-12-2010, 09:54 AM
Ionut Biru
 
Default Customising arch iso

On 03/12/2010 12:51 PM, Damien Churchill wrote:

I was just wondering if there are there any up to date instructions
available for customising the arch installer? I only need to upgrade the
kernel to 2.6.32 in order to install (at least that is the first problem I
have encountered).

Thanks in advance,

Damien


you could test this isos: http://build.archlinux.org/isos/

--
Ionut
 
Old 03-12-2010, 09:56 AM
Damien Churchill
 
Default Customising arch iso

On 12 March 2010 10:54, Ionut Biru <biru.ionut@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 03/12/2010 12:51 PM, Damien Churchill wrote:
>>
>> I was just wondering if there are there any up to date instructions
>> available for customising the arch installer? I only need to upgrade the
>> kernel to 2.6.32 in order to install (at least that is the first problem I
>> have encountered).
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>>
>> Damien
>
> you could test this isos: http://build.archlinux.org/isos/
>
> --
> Ionut

Excellent! Just what I was looking for, thanks a lot!
 
Old 03-12-2010, 10:49 AM
Damien Churchill
 
Default Customising arch iso

On 12 March 2010 10:56, Damien Churchill <damoxc@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12 March 2010 10:54, Ionut Biru <biru.ionut@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 03/12/2010 12:51 PM, Damien Churchill wrote:
>>>
>>> I was just wondering if there are there any up to date instructions
>>> available for customising the arch installer? I only need to upgrade the
>>> kernel to 2.6.32 in order to install (at least that is the first problem I
>>> have encountered).
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance,
>>>
>>> Damien
>>
>> you could test this isos: http://build.archlinux.org/isos/
>>
>> --
>> Ionut
>
> Excellent! Just what I was looking for, thanks a lot!
>

Ahh my mistake, I need 2.6.33,

Heres the commit that adds support for my network card:
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=0f5aac7070a01ec757ed243febe 4fff7c944c4d2

Would I be able to just install kernel26 from testing on another arch
and copy the resulting vmlinuz26 and kerne26.img files across to the
new iso?

Damien
 
Old 03-12-2010, 11:14 AM
Dieter Plaetinck
 
Default Customising arch iso

On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 11:49:36 +0000
Damien Churchill <damoxc@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12 March 2010 10:56, Damien Churchill <damoxc@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 12 March 2010 10:54, Ionut Biru <biru.ionut@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> On 03/12/2010 12:51 PM, Damien Churchill wrote:
> >>>
> >>> I was just wondering if there are there any up to date
> >>> instructions available for customising the arch installer? I only
> >>> need to upgrade the kernel to 2.6.32 in order to install (at
> >>> least that is the first problem I have encountered).
> >>>
> >>> Thanks in advance,
> >>>
> >>> Damien
> >>
> >> you could test this isos: http://build.archlinux.org/isos/
> >>
> >> --
> >> Ionut
> >
> > Excellent! Just what I was looking for, thanks a lot!
> >
>
> Ahh my mistake, I need 2.6.33,
>
> Heres the commit that adds support for my network card:
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=0f5aac7070a01ec757ed243febe 4fff7c944c4d2
>
> Would I be able to just install kernel26 from testing on another arch
> and copy the resulting vmlinuz26 and kerne26.img files across to the
> new iso?
>
> Damien

you can also build your own iso's using archiso.
it's pretty easy, although you need archiso from git and you must let
it look in a repository that contains a 2.6.33 package (ie archlinux
testing)

Dieter
 
Old 03-12-2010, 11:29 AM
Dieter Plaetinck
 
Default Customising arch iso

On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 12:17:07 +0000
Damien Churchill <damoxc@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12 March 2010 12:14, Dieter Plaetinck <dieter@plaetinck.be> wrote:
> > you can also build your own iso's using archiso.
> > it's pretty easy, although you need archiso from git and you must
> > let it look in a repository that contains a 2.6.33 package (ie
> > archlinux testing)
> >
> > Dieter
> >
>
> Ok cool, thanks!
>
> I'm just going to try installing using the core cd and then copying
> the kernel and firmware packages over via flash, if that fails too
> then I'll resort to creating my own cd!

you could also try a netinstall cd and enable the testing repository
in /tmp/pacman.conf. IIRC aif (the installer) uses pacman with that
config file, so it might just work, although i never tried it myself.
if you are not afraid of looking at bash scripts, look at the source
code of aif then you'll see how exactly
it works.

Dieter
 
Old 03-12-2010, 11:57 AM
Dan McGee
 
Default Customising arch iso

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 6:29 AM, Dieter Plaetinck <dieter@plaetinck.be> wrote:
> you could also try a netinstall cd and enable the testing repository
> in /tmp/pacman.conf. *IIRC aif (the installer) uses pacman with that
> config file, so it might just work, although i never tried it myself.
> if you are not afraid of looking at bash scripts, look at the source
> code of aif then you'll see how exactly
> it works.

A netinstall using a kernel without the necessary network drivers
might prove hard to use.

-Dan
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:23 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org