Old 03-11-2010, 04:44 PM
Xavier Chantry

Default what is the procedure when your find an out-of-date package in AUR?

2010/3/11 David C. Rankin <drankinatty@suddenlinkmail.com>:
> On 03/11/2010 09:50 AM, Ng Oon-Ee wrote:
>> If all else fails, blame Allan. Oh, and tell the maintainer what failed.
>>

> Gotcha!
>
> * * * *I just posted the new PKGBUILD files as 'comments' to the AUR package and sent
> Chris (the maintainer) an email telling him what I'd done. Hopefully he can move
> cut and paste the new package versions and md5sums into the official PKGBUILD
> files and remove the out-of-date flag.
>
> * * * *I figured I'd give it another week before I started blaming Allan

You should probably have done the opposite :
- in AUR comments, just quickly state what needs to be changed / fixed
- in the email , include the proper attachments

Pasting a pkgbuild in aur comments is ugly, takes a lot of space and
usually screws up the formatting enough to make it unusable in a very
confusing way.

Old 03-11-2010, 04:50 PM
Burlynn Corlew Jr

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 11:44 AM, Xavier Chantry
<chantry.xavier@gmail.com>wrote:

> 2010/3/11 David C. Rankin <drankinatty@suddenlinkmail.com>:
> > On 03/11/2010 09:50 AM, Ng Oon-Ee wrote:
> >> If all else fails, blame Allan. Oh, and tell the maintainer what failed.
> >>

> > Gotcha!
> >
> > I just posted the new PKGBUILD files as 'comments' to the AUR
> package and sent
> > Chris (the maintainer) an email telling him what I'd done. Hopefully he
> can move
> > cut and paste the new package versions and md5sums into the official
> PKGBUILD
> > files and remove the out-of-date flag.
> >
> > I figured I'd give it another week before I started blaming Allan
>

> You should probably have done the opposite :
> - in AUR comments, just quickly state what needs to be changed / fixed
> - in the email , include the proper attachments
>
> Pasting a pkgbuild in aur comments is ugly, takes a lot of space and
> usually screws up the formatting enough to make it unusable in a very
> confusing way.

Sometimes pasting the pkgbuild in comments is the only solution, especially
with lazy maintainers. :/ I've used a share posted that way, and a copy and
paste seemed to work fine. Not that it will always work though, I still
agree its bad practice, but short of another solution it is necessary at
times.

Old 03-11-2010, 04:52 PM
Daenyth Blank

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 12:50, Burlynn Corlew Jr <burlynn@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sometimes pasting the pkgbuild in comments is the only solution, especially
> with lazy maintainers.

If a maintainer does not respond to email in a week or so, mail
aur-general and the TUs will orphan the package so someone else can
maintain it.

Old 03-11-2010, 10:23 PM
"David C. Rankin"

On 03/11/2010 11:44 AM, Xavier Chantry wrote:
>> I figured I'd give it another week before I started blaming Allan
>> >
> You should probably have done the opposite :
> - in AUR comments, just quickly state what needs to be changed / fixed
> - in the email , include the proper attachments
>
> Pasting a pkgbuild in aur comments is ugly, takes a lot of space and
> usually screws up the formatting enough to make it unusable in a very
> confusing way.

OK,

I know now. Seems kinds like a "damned if you do" "damned if you don't"
situation....

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC