Old 03-11-2010, 04:13 PM
Evangelos Foutras

Default Where to install python apps: /usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/xyz??

On 11/03/2010 06:27 μμ, David C. Rankin wrote:

Guy,

I know nothing about python other than what it is. I need to install
repoview-0.6.5 on my arch server, but I'm not sure where. Looking at the other
python apps like cairo, FusionIcon, etc.. thay seem to be installed as a
subdirectory to:

/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/

The repoview directory contains:

drwxr-xr-x 3 david david 4096 Feb 19 13:31 templates
-rw-r--r-- 1 david david 3457 Feb 19 13:31 ChangeLog
-rw-r--r-- 1 david david 18009 Mar 3 2005 COPYING
-rw-r--r-- 1 david david 708 Jul 19 2007 README
-rw-r--r-- 1 david david 2634 Sep 27 2007 repoview.8
-rwxr-xr-x 1 david david 32932 Feb 19 13:31 repoview.py

Do I just move the directory to /usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/? Then is
there something else I need to do to "register" (for lack of better words)
repoview somewhere so python knows it is there? Then what about the man page?
Anything special required to do I just move it to /usr/share/man or /usr/local/man?

I believe it's supposed to be run as a standalone script, so the best
place for it would be /usr/bin, with the templates under
/usr/share/repoview.

I made a simple package [1] for it. I cannot test it since it wants to
be run on an rpm repository, which I don't know how to make. Give it a
try and maybe adopt it if you're interested in maintaining it.

Generally /usr/lib/python-x.y/site-packages is used for Python packages
that consist of many files and behave as modules; mainly libraries, but
applications as well (which in turn install a start-up script under
/usr/bin).

Cheers.

----

Old 03-13-2010, 08:27 AM
"David C. Rankin"

On 03/12/2010 03:06 PM, yvind Heggstad wrote:
> You should use makepkg for it unless you are doing it in virtualenv.
>
> There already is a PKGBUILD for repoview in aur.

Thanks Everyone,

I don't know how I missed the repoview in AUR, I had to get about 6 packages
from AUR to build 'yum-createrepo' and I could have sworn I checked for
repoview, but I guess I didn't.

Also, as mentioned earlier in the thread, if anyone has packages like repoview
that need to be run against a rpm repository that need testing, just let me
know, I have several rpm repositories I maintain. Thanks.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC

Old 03-13-2010, 12:44 PM
Evangelos Foutras

I don't know how I missed the repoview in AUR, I had to get about 6 packages
from AUR to build 'yum-createrepo' and I could have sworn I checked for
repoview, but I guess I didn't.

Did you not receive my reply [1]? I clearly state that I uploaded a new
package, so you wouldn't have found anything if you searched for
repoview prior to this thread.

---
[1]
http://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2010-March/011947.html