Old 03-11-2010, 02:41 PM
"David C. Rankin"

Default what is the procedure when your find an out-of-date package in AUR?

On 03/11/2010 09:19 AM, David C. Rankin wrote:
> Listmates,
>
> I need yum as a dependency to yum-createrepo, but the package is flagged as
> out-of-date in AUR. This is the first time I've run across an out of date
> package in something I needed to build so I don't have experience with the
> procedure after finding a package out of date. Do we:
>
> - let the maintainer know?
> - use anyway knowing not much has changed?
> - look for a way to find out why it is out of date?, if so how?
>
> Let me know how Arch wants this handled. Thanks.

OK,

I think I have it figured out. Check notes in AUR, check for the new source
version, edit PKGBUILD and.. try it..

If there are other steps I'm missing, please let me know. Thanks.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC

Old 03-11-2010, 02:50 PM
Ng Oon-Ee

On Thu, 2010-03-11 at 09:41 -0600, David C. Rankin wrote:
> On 03/11/2010 09:19 AM, David C. Rankin wrote:
> > Listmates,
> >
> > I need yum as a dependency to yum-createrepo, but the package is flagged as
> > out-of-date in AUR. This is the first time I've run across an out of date
> > package in something I needed to build so I don't have experience with the
> > procedure after finding a package out of date. Do we:
> >
> > - let the maintainer know?
> > - use anyway knowing not much has changed?
> > - look for a way to find out why it is out of date?, if so how?
> >
> > Let me know how Arch wants this handled. Thanks.
> >

> OK,
>
> I think I have it figured out. Check notes in AUR, check for the new source
> version, edit PKGBUILD and.. try it..
>
> If there are other steps I'm missing, please let me know. Thanks.

The fact that its flagged out-of-date means the maintainer has been
informed. When a user flags my packages out-of-date I receive an email
immediately.

The preferred way to handle this, I believe, is for the user to try
bumping the pkgver and building it himself. If it works, send that
PKGBUILD to the maintainer (ready-made PKGBUILDs means even the laziest
maintainer, like yours truly, doesn't have an excuse NOT to update). If
it doesn't, see if there's a simple fix, implement it, and send THAT to
the maintainer.

If all else fails, blame Allan. Oh, and tell the maintainer what failed.

Old 03-11-2010, 03:41 PM
"David C. Rankin"

On 03/11/2010 09:50 AM, Ng Oon-Ee wrote:
> If all else fails, blame Allan. Oh, and tell the maintainer what failed.

Gotcha!

I just posted the new PKGBUILD files as 'comments' to the AUR package and sent
Chris (the maintainer) an email telling him what I'd done. Hopefully he can move
cut and paste the new package versions and md5sums into the official PKGBUILD
files and remove the out-of-date flag.

I figured I'd give it another week before I started blaming Allan

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC

Old 03-11-2010, 08:45 PM
Loui Chang

On Thu 11 Mar 2010 11:50 -0600, Burlynn Corlew Jr wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 11:44 AM, Xavier Chantry
> <chantry.xavier@gmail.com>wrote:
> > 2010/3/11 David C. Rankin <drankinatty@suddenlinkmail.com>:
> > > I just posted the new PKGBUILD files as 'comments' to the AUR
> > > package and sent Chris (the maintainer) an email telling him what
> > > I'd done. Hopefully he can move cut and paste the new package
> > > versions and md5sums into the official PKGBUILD files and remove
> > > the out-of-date flag.
> >
> > You should probably have done the opposite :
> > - in AUR comments, just quickly state what needs to be changed / fixed
> > - in the email , include the proper attachments
> >
> > Pasting a pkgbuild in aur comments is ugly, takes a lot of space and
> > usually screws up the formatting enough to make it unusable in a very
> > confusing way.
>
> Sometimes pasting the pkgbuild in comments is the only solution, especially
> with lazy maintainers. :/ I've used a share posted that way, and a copy and
> paste seemed to work fine. Not that it will always work though, I still
> agree its bad practice, but short of another solution it is necessary at
> times.

Use a pastebin or something instead.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:52 PM
Ng Oon-Ee

On Thu, 2010-03-11 at 16:45 -0500, Loui Chang wrote:
> On Thu 11 Mar 2010 11:50 -0600, Burlynn Corlew Jr wrote:
> >
> > Sometimes pasting the pkgbuild in comments is the only solution, especially
> > with lazy maintainers. :/ I've used a share posted that way, and a copy and
> > paste seemed to work fine. Not that it will always work though, I still
> > agree its bad practice, but short of another solution it is necessary at
> > times.
>
> Use a pastebin or something instead.
+1 to this. While following this thread I was actually considering
whether it would be useful for posts in the AUR to have 'attachments'
like in most online forums. Then I realized I'd forgotten pastebins...