Old 03-11-2010, 09:23 AM
Chris Allison

Default php / mysql connection after recent update

Morning,

Since updating yesterday, all my php scripts that connect to a mysql
database (whether local or over the network) stopped being able to connect.
I had to append the port number to the host definition in the mysql connect
function call to get them to work again. I have been unable to find what
has changed. Any ideas where the change may have happened.

thanks

Chris Allison

--
Calling the unnamed register the unnamed register really does nothing but
negate the name the unnamed register and render the unnamed register useless

Old 03-11-2010, 09:28 AM
Evangelos Foutras

Since updating yesterday, all my php scripts that connect to a mysql
database (whether local or over the network) stopped being able to connect.
I had to append the port number to the host definition in the mysql connect
function call to get them to work again. I have been unable to find what
has changed. Any ideas where the change may have happened.

thanks

Chris Allison

Have you taken care of any .pacnew files installed under /etc/php and
/etc/mysql? Also, you'll need to include information about the versions
you updated to and the old versions.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:30 AM
Chris Allison

On 11 March 2010 10:23, Chris Allison
<chris.charles.allison@googlemail.com>wrote:

> Morning,
>
> Since updating yesterday, all my php scripts that connect to a mysql
> database (whether local or over the network) stopped being able to connect.
> I had to append the port number to the host definition in the mysql connect
> function call to get them to work again. I have been unable to find what
> has changed. Any ideas where the change may have happened.
>
> thanks
>
> Chris Allison

Hi,

Digging a bit deeper, the php.ini directive mysql_default_port is not set,
though it has never been set in my php.ini. setting that to 3306 solved the
problem.

Sorry for the noise.

Cheers

Chris

Old 03-11-2010, 09:47 AM
Chris Allison

On 11 March 2010 10:30, Chris Allison
<chris.charles.allison@googlemail.com> wrote:

> On 11 March 2010 10:23, Chris Allison <chris.charles.allison@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Morning,
>>
>> Since updating yesterday, all my php scripts that connect to a mysql database (whether local or over the network) stopped being able to connect.* I had to append the port number to the host definition in the mysql connect function call to get them to work again.* I have been unable to find what has changed.* Any ideas where the change may have happened.
>>
>> thanks
>>
>> Chris Allison
>>

> Hi,
>
> Digging a bit deeper, the php.ini directive mysql_default_port is not set, though it has never been set in my php.ini.* setting that to 3306 solved the problem.
>
> Sorry for the noise.
>
> Cheers
>
> Chris

Hi,

This would appear to be an upstream bug/feature. from the
mysql_connect doc page comments:

"The php.ini file suggests that PHP will select the port by using the
$MYSQL_TCP_PORT or the mysql-tcp entry in /etc/services, but in this
case it is not so.* /etc/services on my machine has 3306 listed, but
it didn't get picked up."

cheers

Chris

Old 03-11-2010, 10:45 AM