-   -   Howto handle poppler conflict with poppler-qt3 (http://www.linux-archive.org/archlinux-general-discussion/338904-howto-handle-poppler-conflict-poppler-qt3.html)

Allan McRae 03-09-2010 10:02 PM

Howto handle poppler conflict with poppler-qt3

On 10/03/10 08:58, David C. Rankin wrote:

Guys,

Latest updates to poppler require the removal of poppler-qt3 which fails due to
kdemod3-kdegraphics-pdf (kpdf) dependencies. How do we handle this? Do we just
remove poppler-qt3? Won't that break kpdf? Thought I would check before I
started breaking things on my own :p

The actual error is:

:: poppler conflicts with poppler-qt3. Remove poppler-qt3? [Y/n]
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: kdemod3-kdegraphics-kpdf: requires poppler-qt3>=0.6

The correct way to handle it is to ask kdemod to either provide a
poppler-qt3 package or fix their deps on the kdemod3-kdegraphics-kpdf
package.

Allan

David Rosenstrauch 03-09-2010 10:03 PM

Howto handle poppler conflict with poppler-qt3

Latest updates to poppler require the removal of poppler-qt3 which fails due to
kdemod3-kdegraphics-pdf (kpdf) dependencies. How do we handle this? Do we just
remove poppler-qt3? Won't that break kpdf? Thought I would check before I
started breaking things on my own :p

The actual error is:

:: poppler conflicts with poppler-qt3. Remove poppler-qt3? [Y/n]
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: kdemod3-kdegraphics-kpdf: requires poppler-qt3>=0.6

I just dealt with it by removing poppler-qt3 and kdemod3-kdegraphics-pdf.

poppler-qt3 doesn't even seem to exist in any of the repos anymore. And
KDE3 is pretty much a dead project at this point anyway. (I don't even
think it's possible to build it on Arch anymore.) Probably best if you
don't rely on it for anything.

HTH,

DR

Ty John (sand_man) 03-09-2010 10:06 PM

Howto handle poppler conflict with poppler-qt3

On Tue, 09 Mar 2010 16:58:18 -0600
"David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@suddenlinkmail.com> wrote:

> Guys,
>
> Latest updates to poppler require the removal of poppler-qt3
> which fails due to kdemod3-kdegraphics-pdf (kpdf) dependencies. How
> do we handle this? Do we just remove poppler-qt3? Won't that break
> kpdf? Thought I would check before I started breaking things on my
> own :p
>
> The actual error is:
>
> :: poppler conflicts with poppler-qt3. Remove poppler-qt3? [Y/n]
> error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
> :: kdemod3-kdegraphics-kpdf: requires poppler-qt3>=0.6

I may be wrong but I think you will need to wait for kdemod to release
an updated version of poppler-qt3.
I had the same thing with cairo/cairo-lcd. I just updated cairo-lcd and
pacman no longer wanted to replace it with the newer version of cairo.

Isaac Dupree 03-09-2010 10:20 PM

Howto handle poppler conflict with poppler-qt3

poppler-qt3 doesn't even seem to exist in any of the repos anymore. And
KDE3 is pretty much a dead project at this point anyway. (I don't even
think it's possible to build it on Arch anymore.) Probably best if you
don't rely on it for anything.

installing SoundKonverter put some parts of KDE 3 in /opt . Which seemed
a little odd. Additionally, I'm not sure that SoundKonverter actually
worked in this setup. (SoundKonverter's author is working on a KDE/QT 4
based version that s/he decided to rewrite the code significantly. and
has been at alpha stage for a while. alas. It was the best sound
conversion & ReplayGain-adding software.)

-Isaac

"David C. Rankin" 03-10-2010 02:48 AM

On 03/09/2010 05:02 PM, Allan McRae wrote:
> On 10/03/10 08:58, David C. Rankin wrote:
>> Guys,
>>
>> Latest updates to poppler require the removal of poppler-qt3 which
>> fails due to
>> kdemod3-kdegraphics-pdf (kpdf) dependencies. How do we handle this? Do
>> we just
>> remove poppler-qt3? Won't that break kpdf? Thought I would check before I
>> started breaking things on my own :p
>>
>> The actual error is:
>>
>> :: poppler conflicts with poppler-qt3. Remove poppler-qt3? [Y/n]
>> error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
>> :: kdemod3-kdegraphics-kpdf: requires poppler-qt3>=0.6
>
> The correct way to handle it is to ask kdemod to either provide a
> poppler-qt3 package or fix their deps on the kdemod3-kdegraphics-kpdf
> package.
>
> Allan

Thanks Allan, Dave, Isaac & Ty

I'll pester the guys at kdemod. I keep pushing for KDE to embrace the concept
of "KDE Classic". We see how smart the Coke board was when it tried to replace
Coke with "New Coke". In less than two weeks the board bowed to consumer demand
and rather than loosing market share, brought back Coke as Coke Classic. If KDE
had any brains it would do the same thing. Like it or not k4 is still in beta
stage with little direction and little guidance in what it will ultimately look
like or how it will behave.

I have been using KDE4 for about 1 years now since the kde4.3 beta phase and I
like the desktop, but it is still very difficult to get things done on it. If I
need to work, I use kde3 or flux or enlightenment. If I want to write bug
reports endlessly or check the latest bling, I'll use kde4.

But there is still no Quanta, etc.. in kde4 and simple things like trying to
have konqueror "back up" and remember what file it was on in the parent
directory just annoy the Sh17 out of me...

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC