Old 11-28-2007, 07:42 PM
"Aaron Griffin"

Default Add boot probing hooks

On Nov 15, 2007 11:00 AM, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Nov 5, 2007 11:55 AM, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > It is actually a copy of the splash patch with generalized naming. Simo,
> > > what is the intention here?
> >
> > His intent was to keep people from going "no way! I hate splash!". I
> > think, more or less, he was proving a point 8)
>
> Thomas, any final word here? I know the splash people would like it.
> And, for the record, I do like the more generalized names without
> "splash", because in essence they're progress output and not splash
> specific.

Ping? Can we move this one forward here - this is the same patch as
before with better, more generic names.

Old 12-05-2007, 12:49 PM
"Roman Kyrylych"

2007/11/28, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin@gmail.com>:
> On Nov 15, 2007 11:00 AM, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > His intent was to keep people from going "no way! I hate splash!". I
> > > think, more or less, he was proving a point 8)
> >
> > Thomas, any final word here? I know the splash people would like it.
> > And, for the record, I do like the more generalized names without
> > "splash", because in essence they're progress output and not splash
> > specific.
> >

> Ping? Can we move this one forward here - this is the same patch as
> before with better, more generic names.

Pong! I've sent a patch against the splash branch to Thomas about a minute ago.
BTW, I think http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/6989 is obsoleted now.

--
Roman Kyrylych (*оман Кирилич)

Old 12-05-2007, 01:47 PM
"Phil Dillon-Thiselton"

On 05/11/2007, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin@gmail.com> wrote:
> His intent was to keep people from going "no way! I hate splash!". I
> think, more or less, he was proving a point 8)

Ho-ho!

I find the term "probing" a bit confusing though because hooks are for
pulling stuff in/out and probes are for pushing in/out. Extracting vs
Injecting?

Semantics are often a petty matter I know but I find myself wondering
what the hell a boot probe is. Maybe the obfuscation was part of the
ruse though...

Old 12-05-2007, 01:52 PM
"Roman Kyrylych"

2007/12/5, Phil Dillon-Thiselton <dibblethewrecker@gmail.com>:
> On 05/11/2007, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin@gmail.com> wrote:
> > His intent was to keep people from going "no way! I hate splash!". I
> > think, more or less, he was proving a point 8)
>

> Ho-ho!
>
> I find the term "probing" a bit confusing though because hooks are for
> pulling stuff in/out and probes are for pushing in/out. Extracting vs
> Injecting?
>
> Semantics are often a petty matter I know but I find myself wondering
> what the hell a boot probe is. Maybe the obfuscation was part of the
> ruse though...

Actually I used term hook in the patch I've sent. :-P

--
Roman Kyrylych (*оман Кирилич)

Old 12-06-2007, 06:20 AM
James Rayner

On Wed, Dec 05, 2007 at 02:47:49PM +0000, Phil Dillon-Thiselton wrote:
> On 05/11/2007, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin@gmail.com> wrote:
> > His intent was to keep people from going "no way! I hate splash!". I
> > think, more or less, he was proving a point 8)
>

> Ho-ho!
>
> I find the term "probing" a bit confusing though because hooks are for
> pulling stuff in/out and probes are for pushing in/out. Extracting vs
> Injecting?
>
> Semantics are often a petty matter I know but I find myself wondering
> what the hell a boot probe is. Maybe the obfuscation was part of the
> ruse though...

*shrug* hooks works, but probing's fine. kprobes is used to put bits
into the kernel and get info from bits of the kernel, space probes probe
the solar system an gain info. Guess the idea is you put a probe into the
code somewhere -- that's the probey bit.

semantics, yep :P

Old 12-12-2007, 04:51 AM
"Aaron Griffin"

On Dec 5, 2007 7:49 AM, Roman Kyrylych <roman.kyrylych@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Ping? Can we move this one forward here - this is the same patch as
> > before with better, more generic names.
>
> Pong! I've sent a patch against the splash branch to Thomas about a minute ago.
> BTW, I think http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/6989 is obsoleted now.

Roman, please resend this patch to me, Thomas is rather unavailable at
this time, and I will handle all the current initscripts issues for
the time being

Old 12-12-2007, 08:52 AM
"Roman Kyrylych"

2007/12/12, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin@gmail.com>:
> On Dec 5, 2007 7:49 AM, Roman Kyrylych <roman.kyrylych@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Ping? Can we move this one forward here - this is the same patch as
> > > before with better, more generic names.
> >
> > Pong! I've sent a patch against the splash branch to Thomas about a minute ago.
> > BTW, I think http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/6989 is obsoleted now.
>
> Roman, please resend this patch to me, Thomas is rather unavailable at
> this time, and I will handle all the current initscripts issues for
> the time being

Done. Note that the patch is against the splash branch, not master.

While you're on initscripts patching see also another patch attached here:
http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/8843
It fixes an issue that appeared after these commits:
1) http://projects.archlinux.org/git/?p=initscripts.git;a=commit;h=cfab94bc71dc2e072c69 1122df82f4b6f2bdef29
2) http://projects.archlinux.org/git/?p=initscripts.git;a=commit;h=c5cffb501763c355299e 593d16089fa5e56097b2
It would be nice to get a confimation from someone with 'broken'
terminal that my patch doesn't uncover their issues.

--
Roman Kyrylych (*оман Кирилич)