-   -   consolekit dependencies? (http://www.linux-archive.org/archlinux-development/711996-consolekit-dependencies.html)

Thomas Bächler 10-13-2012 09:42 AM

consolekit dependencies?

Most (all?) of our login manager still depend on consolekit. However,
since consolekit support will be stripped from polkit when
gnome-unstable goes to testing (soon?), registering consolekit sessions
on login has no effect whatsoever.

Should we rebuild our login managers to remove the consolekit dependencies?

I rebuilt kdebase-workspace locally yesterday, and polkit seems to work
just fine. kde itself does not use consolekit, except through polkit.

Sébastien Luttringer 10-13-2012 12:19 PM

consolekit dependencies?

On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 11:42 AM, Thomas Bächler <thomas@archlinux.org> wrote:
> Most (all?) of our login manager still depend on consolekit. However,
> since consolekit support will be stripped from polkit when
> gnome-unstable goes to testing (soon?), registering consolekit sessions
> on login has no effect whatsoever.
>
> Should we rebuild our login managers to remove the consolekit dependencies?
>
> I rebuilt kdebase-workspace locally yesterday, and polkit seems to work
> just fine. kde itself does not use consolekit, except through polkit.

Tom build a version 0.107[1][2] of polkit which works fine with systemd.

[1] https://dev.archlinux.org/~tomegun/
[2] https://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2012-August/029344.html

Cheers,
--
Sébastien "Seblu" Luttringer
https://www.seblu.net

Andrea Scarpino 10-13-2012 01:14 PM

consolekit dependencies?

On Saturday 13 October 2012 11:42:41 Thomas Bächler wrote:
> Most (all?) of our login manager still depend on consolekit. However,
> since consolekit support will be stripped from polkit when
> gnome-unstable goes to testing (soon?), registering consolekit sessions
> on login has no effect whatsoever.
>
> Should we rebuild our login managers to remove the consolekit dependencies?
>
> I rebuilt kdebase-workspace locally yesterday, and polkit seems to work
> just fine. kde itself does not use consolekit, except through polkit.

It's ok for me. +1 to remove CK.

PS. NetworkManager users will need nm 0.9.6.0-3 from gnome-unstable; it will
be moved together with gnome, so this isn't a stopper.

--
Andrea

Andrea Scarpino 10-13-2012 02:30 PM

consolekit dependencies?

On Saturday 13 October 2012 14:19:56 Sébastien Luttringer wrote:
> Tom build a version 0.107[1][2] of polkit which works fine with systemd.

AFAIK this is the same polkit we have in [testing] right now.

--
Andrea

Tom Gundersen 10-13-2012 02:34 PM

consolekit dependencies?

On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 11:42 AM, Thomas Bächler <thomas@archlinux.org> wrote:
> Most (all?) of our login manager still depend on consolekit. However,
> since consolekit support will be stripped from polkit when
> gnome-unstable goes to testing (soon?), registering consolekit sessions
> on login has no effect whatsoever.
>
> Should we rebuild our login managers to remove the consolekit dependencies?
>
> I rebuilt kdebase-workspace locally yesterday, and polkit seems to work
> just fine. kde itself does not use consolekit, except through polkit.

Doing this makes sense to me. However, to make things clear-cut, it
would be best if we could entirely remove consolekit from our repos
and put up an announcement. That way people will not be confused as to
why things stop working if they are not using logind.

In addition to the gnome+kde packages the relevant packages we would
have to make sure still work without consolekit are:

lxdm
oblogout
slim
udiskie (optional)
xfce4-session
xorg-xdm

Cheers,

Tom

Tom Gundersen 10-13-2012 02:37 PM

consolekit dependencies?

On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 4:30 PM, Andrea Scarpino <andrea@archlinux.org> wrote:
> On Saturday 13 October 2012 14:19:56 Sébastien Luttringer wrote:
>> Tom build a version 0.107[1][2] of polkit which works fine with systemd.
>
> AFAIK this is the same polkit we have in [testing] right now.

The version I built had a custom patch to enable CK or systemd to be
chosen at run-time. It was rejected upstream and I think it was
removed from our package. I think it would make the most sense to just
get rid of CK as mention in my previous email rather than try to make
this work downstream.

-t

Andrea Scarpino 10-13-2012 02:44 PM

consolekit dependencies?

TODO list started at https://www.archlinux.org/todo/188/

--
Andrea

Thomas Bächler 10-13-2012 02:45 PM

consolekit dependencies?

Am 13.10.2012 16:34, schrieb Tom Gundersen:
> On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 11:42 AM, Thomas Bächler <thomas@archlinux.org> wrote:
>> Most (all?) of our login manager still depend on consolekit. However,
>> since consolekit support will be stripped from polkit when
>> gnome-unstable goes to testing (soon?), registering consolekit sessions
>> on login has no effect whatsoever.
>>
>> Should we rebuild our login managers to remove the consolekit dependencies?
>>
>> I rebuilt kdebase-workspace locally yesterday, and polkit seems to work
>> just fine. kde itself does not use consolekit, except through polkit.
>
> Doing this makes sense to me. However, to make things clear-cut, it
> would be best if we could entirely remove consolekit from our repos
> and put up an announcement. That way people will not be confused as to
> why things stop working if they are not using logind.
>
> In addition to the gnome+kde packages the relevant packages we would
> have to make sure still work without consolekit are:
>
> lxdm
> oblogout
> slim
> udiskie (optional)
> xfce4-session
> xorg-xdm

Agreed, we need to make this all at once. I think Andrea is starting a
TODO list.

Gerhard Brauer 10-13-2012 03:40 PM

consolekit dependencies?

Sorry for maybe double-posting, fist sent with wrong from-address
;-)

On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 04:34:04PM +0200, Tom Gundersen wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 11:42 AM, Thomas Bächler <thomas@archlinux.org> wrote:
> > Most (all?) of our login manager still depend on consolekit. However,
> > since consolekit support will be stripped from polkit when
> > gnome-unstable goes to testing (soon?), registering consolekit sessions
> > on login has no effect whatsoever.
> >
> > Should we rebuild our login managers to remove the consolekit dependencies?
> >
> > I rebuilt kdebase-workspace locally yesterday, and polkit seems to work
> > just fine. kde itself does not use consolekit, except through polkit.
>
> Doing this makes sense to me. However, to make things clear-cut, it
> would be best if we could entirely remove consolekit from our repos
> and put up an announcement. That way people will not be confused as to
> why things stop working if they are not using logind.

This makes me a little nervous…
What are the way for people which ex. use fluxbox via
ck-launch-session and thunar as a filemanager (for
dbus/polkit/udisks things) AND NOT systemd-logind ?

Will there be a way to use dbus/polkit-releated actions without
systemd?

I got more and more confused about the speed and amount of changes
currently ;-)

> Cheers,
>
> Tom

Regards
Gerhard

Tom Gundersen 10-13-2012 11:25 PM

consolekit dependencies?

On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 5:40 PM, Gerhard Brauer
<gb+ML-2011@derbrauer.homelinux.net> wrote:
> What are the way for people which ex. use fluxbox via
> ck-launch-session and thunar as a filemanager (for
> dbus/polkit/udisks things) AND NOT systemd-logind ?
>
> Will there be a way to use dbus/polkit-releated actions without
> systemd?

No. Since polkit will soon only work when the system is booted with
systemd, the usefulness of consolekit is very limited. To minimize the
confusion we will therefore remove CK completely (of course if anyone
decides to create third-party packages as I proposed in the past [0]
it could still be possible to keep CK+polkit without systemd).

> I got more and more confused about the speed and amount of changes
> currently ;-)

There has been a lot of discussion about this on the ML. I remember
polkit losing CK support was discussed when the move to systemd was
first proposed [1], and I brought it up again in the proposal for
keeping sysvinit working [0]. You might find more background
discussion if you search our archives.

There was at some point an attempt at trying to make polkit work with
CK and systemd both [3], but it didn't go anywhere and the patch was
rejected upstream.

[0]: <http://www.mail-archive.com/arch-general@archlinux.org/msg31229.html>
[1]: <http://www.mail-archive.com/arch-dev-public@archlinux.org/msg19796.html>
[2]: <http://www.mail-archive.com/arch-general@archlinux.org/msg29297.html>