Old 10-12-2012, 10:19 PM
Tom Gundersen

Default systemd is now the default on new installations

On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 12:12 AM, Thomas Bächler <thomas@archlinux.org> wrote:
> "The base group now contains the systemd-sysvcompat package. This means
> that all new installations will boot with systemd by default.
>
> This change does not affect existing installations. For the time being,
> the initscripts and sysvinit packages remain available from our
> repositories.

However, individual packages may now start relying on the system being
booted with systemd.

Please refer to the wiki for how to transition an existing
installation to systemd."

Old 10-12-2012, 10:20 PM
Thomas Bächler

Am 13.10.2012 00:12, schrieb Thomas Bächler:
> Once initscripts, sysvinit and systemd move out of testing, new
> installations will install systemd-sysvcompat by default and thus will
> boot with systemd unless the user changes this. It's time for an
> announcement:
>
> "The base group now contains the systemd-sysvcompat package. This means
> that all new installations will boot with systemd by default.
>
> This change does not affect existing installations. For the time being,
> the initscripts and sysvinit packages remain available from our
> repositories."

Correction, sorry:

"The base group now contains the systemd-sysvcompat package. This means
that all new installations will boot with systemd by default.

As some packages still lack native systemd units, users can install
initscripts and use the DAEMONS array in /etc/rc.conf to start services
using the legacy rc.d scripts.

Old 10-13-2012, 04:53 AM
Allan McRae

On 13/10/12 08:20, Thomas Bächler wrote:
> Am 13.10.2012 00:12, schrieb Thomas Bächler:
>> Once initscripts, sysvinit and systemd move out of testing, new
>> installations will install systemd-sysvcompat by default and thus will
>> boot with systemd unless the user changes this. It's time for an
>> announcement:
>>
>> "The base group now contains the systemd-sysvcompat package. This means
>> that all new installations will boot with systemd by default.
>>
>> This change does not affect existing installations. For the time being,
>> the initscripts and sysvinit packages remain available from our
>> repositories."
>
> Correction, sorry:
>

> "The base group now contains the systemd-sysvcompat package. This means
> that all new installations will boot with systemd by default.
>
> As some packages still lack native systemd units, users can install
> initscripts and use the DAEMONS array in /etc/rc.conf to start services
> using the legacy rc.d scripts.
>
> This change does not affect existing installations. For the time being,
> the initscripts and sysvinit packages remain available from our
> repositories."

Fine with me... I am also in favour of pulling this to [core] asap as
currently doing "testing-i686-pkg -c" gives:

error: failed to prepare transaction (conflicting dependencies)
:: systemd-sysvcompat and sysvinit are in conflict

Allan

Old 10-13-2012, 08:50 AM
Thomas Bächler

Final version, including Tom's additions:

"The base group now contains the systemd-sysvcompat package. This means
that all new installations will boot with systemd by default.

As some packages still lack native systemd units, users can install the
initscripts package and use the DAEMONS array in /etc/rc.conf to start

Am 13.10.2012 06:53, schrieb Allan McRae:
> Fine with me... I am also in favour of pulling this to [core] asap as
> currently doing "testing-i686-pkg -c" gives:
>
> error: failed to prepare transaction (conflicting dependencies)
> :: systemd-sysvcompat and sysvinit are in conflict

Well then, we need signoffs for systemd and sysvinit. I can move this as
soon as signoffs are there.