Old 10-07-2012, 03:13 PM
Pierre Schmitz

Default Install medium 2012.10.06 introduces systemd

read https://www.archlinux.org/news/install-media-20120715-released/

Old 10-07-2012, 04:26 PM
Thomas Bächler

Am 07.10.2012 16:10, schrieb Gaetan Bisson:
> That's very well but entirely misses my point of asking to clarify
> whether initscripts is still available as a *package* on the live
> medium, or if it is "no longer available on the live system".

The live medium does not contain any packages.

Old 10-07-2012, 05:42 PM
Damjan

The October release of the Arch Linux install medium is available for
[Download](https://www.archlinux.org/download/) and can be used for new
installs or as a rescue system. It contains a set of updated packages
and the following notable changes:

Is there a way to boot the install medium over PXE similar to ArchBoot?

--
дамјан

Old 10-07-2012, 05:50 PM
Thomas Bächler

Am 07.10.2012 19:42, schrieb Damjan:
>> The October release of the Arch Linux install medium is available for
>> [Download](https://www.archlinux.org/download/) and can be used for new
>> installs or as a rescue system. It contains a set of updated packages
>> and the following notable changes:
>

> Is there a way to boot the install medium over PXE similar to ArchBoot?

Yes, it's on the wiki somewhere.

If you have a fast internet connection (10MBit/s or more), you can use
this: https://releng.archlinux.org/pxeboot/

Old 10-07-2012, 07:13 PM
Tom Gundersen

On Sun, Oct 7, 2012 at 7:44 PM, Martín Cigorraga <msx@archlinux.us> wrote:
> Can I suggest to add tmux on an upcoming release!?

Could you give some more justification?

-t

Old 10-07-2012, 08:09 PM

On Sun, Oct 07, 2012 at 09:13:07PM +0200, Tom Gundersen wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 7, 2012 at 7:44 PM, Martín Cigorraga <msx@archlinux.us> wrote:
> > Can I suggest to add tmux on an upcoming release!?
>
> Could you give some more justification?

In my opinion, it's easy enough to type 'pacman -Sy tmux' on the live
cd. It's not integral to connecting to the internet, and not a critical
tool. I would say it should stay optional.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:06 PM
Dave Reisner

On Oct 7, 2012 1:45 PM, "Martín Cigorraga" <msx@archlinux.us> wrote:

> * The following new packages are available on the live system: ethtool,
> fsarchiver, gummiboot-efi, mc, partclone, partimage, refind-efi, rfkill,
> sudo, testdisk, wget, xl2tpd
>
> +1 fsarchiver!
> Can I suggest to add tmux on an upcoming release!?

Tmux is far from crucial and the ISO has already bloated in size above what
I'd like to see it at. Ignoring tmux also sidesteps the evitable holy war
of "why not screen?"

Old 10-08-2012, 02:39 AM
Damjan Georgievski

>> Is there a way to boot the install medium over PXE similar to ArchBoot?
>
> Yes, it's on the wiki somewhere.
>
> If you have a fast internet connection (10MBit/s or more), you can use
> this: https://releng.archlinux.org/pxeboot/

As far as I understand that is an image that then downloads the
install media from some server on the internet.
We already have a PXE (dhcp/tftp) server in our hackerspace and a
locale Arch mirror with the packages.
I just need to add the install media so that we can install Arch even
if offline (which happens).

--
damjan

Old 10-08-2012, 08:22 AM
Thomas Bächler

Am 08.10.2012 04:39, schrieb Damjan Georgievski:
>>> Is there a way to boot the install medium over PXE similar to ArchBoot?
>>
>> Yes, it's on the wiki somewhere.
>>
>> If you have a fast internet connection (10MBit/s or more), you can use
>> this: https://releng.archlinux.org/pxeboot/
>
> As far as I understand that is an image that then downloads the
> install media from some server on the internet.
> We already have a PXE (dhcp/tftp) server in our hackerspace and a
> locale Arch mirror with the packages.
> I just need to add the install media so that we can install Arch even
> if offline (which happens).

You are right, this is mainly for one-time installations and such.

The cleanest way (in my opinion) to do this is exactly the way that I
did with the online pxeboot environment (there are other ways (like
loop-mounting the whole ISO or using memdisk), but they all download
more and use more memory).

1) Extract the ISO with

bsdtar -x --exclude=arch/boot/syslinux --exclude memtest* --exclude
pkglist.* -f archlinux-2012.10.06-dual.iso arch/

This will result in a directory structure exactly like this:
ftp://ftp.archlinux.org/iso/2012.10.06/arch/

Put this on an http server.

2)

Use a gPXE or iPXE-extended pxelinux version, like gpxelinux, or a
custom version built from pxelinux and iPXE (for example, you can
include native ethernet drivers to speed up the early download). You
need this so you can use http downloads from the bootloader (you could
put the kernel and initramfs on TFTP instead, but you need HTTP for the
later stage anyway, so why bother).

3)

Add the following to your pxelinux configuration:

LABEL arch_x86_64
TEXT HELP
Boot Arch Linux (x86_64) live medium.
ENDTEXT
MENU LABEL Arch Linux x86_64
LINUX http://servername/arch/boot/x86_64/vmlinuz
INITRD http://servername/arch/boot/x86_64/archiso.img
APPEND archiso_http_srv=http://servername/ archisobasedir=arch
checksum=y ip=dhcp

(Similar for i686)

This will download the kernel from http and boot it, download the
squashfs images into memory (about 200MB total) and boot the live system.

I guess this will do what you are looking for.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:48 PM
Martín Cigorraga

You'll probably all right, I made extensive use of it while installing over
a various boxes via PXE but it's trivial thing to install it.
Sorry for the noise.