Old 10-02-2012, 11:30 PM
Tom Gundersen

Default btrfs multi-device support in pre-3.6 kernels

Hi guys,

With systemd-193 and linux-3.6 we will finally have reliable support
for btrfs multi-device filesystems (assembling them used to be racy).

However, the added udev rules that makes this work do not work at all
on pre-3.6 kernels. We could keep the old (racey) rules in the btrfs
package to deal with this situation. However, that means scanning all
btrfs devices twice on boot for everyone on post-3.6 kernels. As I
expect the number of people using multi-device btrfs (which is still
experimental) with an linux-lts kernel to be limited, I'm not too keen
on optimizing for this case.

I propose we either just drop the old btrfs rules and tell users of
linux-lts+btrfs multi-device to upgrade to linux, or we add the rules
to the linux-lts package.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Tom

Old 10-02-2012, 11:37 PM
Jan Steffens

On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 1:30 AM, Tom Gundersen <teg@jklm.no> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> With systemd-193 and linux-3.6 we will finally have reliable support
> for btrfs multi-device filesystems (assembling them used to be racy).
>
> However, the added udev rules that makes this work do not work at all
> on pre-3.6 kernels. We could keep the old (racey) rules in the btrfs
> package to deal with this situation. However, that means scanning all
> btrfs devices twice on boot for everyone on post-3.6 kernels. As I
> expect the number of people using multi-device btrfs (which is still
> experimental) with an linux-lts kernel to be limited, I'm not too keen
> on optimizing for this case.
>
> I propose we either just drop the old btrfs rules and tell users of
> linux-lts+btrfs multi-device to upgrade to linux, or we add the rules
> to the linux-lts package.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tom

That's fine, in my opinion. People running Btrfs shouldn't be using an
LTS kernel anyway.

Old 10-03-2012, 01:41 AM
Sébastien Luttringer

On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 1:37 AM, Jan Steffens <jan.steffens@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 1:30 AM, Tom Gundersen <teg@jklm.no> wrote:
>>
>> Any thoughts?
>
> That's fine, in my opinion. People running Btrfs shouldn't be using an
> LTS kernel anyway.

Same opinion but can you think about updating btrfs-prog? Kernel 3.6
add support for subvolumes quota and needs updated version of
userspace tools.

Cheers

--
Sébastien "Seblu" Luttringer
https://www.seblu.net

Old 10-03-2012, 07:46 AM
Tom Gundersen

On Oct 3, 2012 3:42 AM, "Sébastien Luttringer" <seblu@seblu.net> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 1:37 AM, Jan Steffens <jan.steffens@gmail.com>
wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 1:30 AM, Tom Gundersen <teg@jklm.no> wrote:
> >>
> >> Any thoughts?
> >
> > That's fine, in my opinion. People running Btrfs shouldn't be using an
> > LTS kernel anyway.
>
> Same opinion but can you think about updating btrfs-prog?
New version will be in testing today.

Tom