Old 09-15-2012, 05:37 PM
Lukas Jirkovsky

Default devtools will require running systemd

On 15 September 2012 19:26, Pierre Schmitz <pierre@archlinux.de> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am working on using systemd's nspawn instead of plain chroot. I was
> wondering if any DEV or TU does not run systemd on his build system and
> is also not able to switch to it yet (e.g. as not all daemons have been
> ported yet).
>
> Greetings,
>
> Pierre
>
> --
> Pierre Schmitz, https://pierre-schmitz.com

I'm not using systemd and I don't want to switch to systemd on my
development machine any time soon. Is there some significant gain in
using nspawn instead of chroot? I see nothing wrong about chroot.

The most significant change I can see is that nspawn limits access to
/sys etc. to be read-only. However, I don't think RW access is a real
show stopper, as the chroots are used only for building.

If there's anything I can do (such as fixing bugs specific to chroot)
to put back the move to systemd I'll try to do it.

Have a nice day,
Lukas

Old 09-15-2012, 05:43 PM
Tom Gundersen

On Sat, Sep 15, 2012 at 7:37 PM, Lukas Jirkovsky <l.jirkovsky@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm not using systemd and I don't want to switch to systemd on my
> development machine any time soon.

Are there any specific problems that is holding you back from using
systemd? If so, I'd be happy to help sorting them out.

-t

Old 09-15-2012, 06:03 PM
Lukas Jirkovsky

On 15 September 2012 19:43, Tom Gundersen <teg@jklm.no> wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 15, 2012 at 7:37 PM, Lukas Jirkovsky <l.jirkovsky@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm not using systemd and I don't want to switch to systemd on my
>> development machine any time soon.
>
> Are there any specific problems that is holding you back from using
> systemd? If so, I'd be happy to help sorting them out.
>
> -t

No, it's just that I don't like its design. If I'd like it, I'd be
probably working hard to fix the problems in case I had some.