-   -   The path to lua 5.2 (http://www.linux-archive.org/archlinux-development/703627-path-lua-5-2-a.html)

Sébastien Luttringer 09-13-2012 08:19 PM

The path to lua 5.2

Hello,

Version 5.2 of lua is out since December 2011 [1] and last update
since June 2012.

I suggest[2] to update our current lua package to 5.2.1 and introduce
a new package lua51.
As we need to rebuild and update dependencies of some packages, we can
benefits to adopt a clean naming (like for python) for lua libraries
like
- lua-lfs for lua 5.2 version, where "lfs" is the name in the lua require.
- lua51-lfs for 5.1 version.
for current package lua-filesystem.

Example:
pkgbase=luafilsystem
pkgname=(lua-lfs lua-lfs51)

The goal is to drop lua51* package once all package will only needs lua 5.2.

I currently have a lua (v5.2.1) and lua51 (v5.1.5) packages on my
computer which works correctly.

The following packages are out of my hands:
seblu@brynhild ~ $ for i in extra testing; do sogrep $i lua.so; done
celestia
gnuplot
graphviz
gvim
lighttpd
nmap
pdns-recursor
rrdtool
vlc
weechat
wireshark-cli

seblu@brynhild ~ $ for i in community community-testing ; do sogrep $i
lua.so; done
awesome
btanks
cegui
edje-svn
electricsheep
elinks
fillets-ng
geany-plugins
grafx2
hedgewars
highlight
highlight-gui
libquvi
luabind
lua-zlib
megaglest
notion
stone-soup
task
widelands
xmoto
widelands

As there is not so many packages to update in community, I can do it
myself. I need some helps for those in extra/core.

Comments? Objections?

[1] http://www.lua.org/versions.html#5.2
[2] I'm not a lua expert, I use it only with awesome, so please tell
me if you see something bad.

--
Sébastien "Seblu" Luttringer
www.seblu.net

Stéphane Gaudreault 09-14-2012 11:20 AM

The path to lua 5.2

[...]

Before looking at the package names, I would like to see the list of
packages that are not compatible (no patch available). For packages in
this list, it could be interesting to look if upstream devs are still
active and if they have plans to move to 5.2. If not, we could simply
drop them or rebuild them without lua support when possible.

Stéphane

Sébastien Luttringer 09-18-2012 09:18 PM

The path to lua 5.2

On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 1:20 PM, Stéphane Gaudreault
<stephane@archlinux.org> wrote:
> [...]
>> notion
>> stone-soup
>> task
>> widelands
>> xmoto
>> widelands
>>
>> As there is not so many packages to update in community, I can do it
>> myself. I need some helps for those in extra/core.
>>
>> Comments? Objections?
>>
>> [1] http://www.lua.org/versions.html#5.2
>> [2] I'm not a lua expert, I use it only with awesome, so please tell
>> me if you see something bad.
>>
> Before looking at the package names, I would like to see the list of
> packages that are not compatible (no patch available). For packages in this
> list, it could be interesting to look if upstream devs are still active and
> if they have plans to move to 5.2. If not, we could simply drop them or
> rebuild them without lua support when possible.

I started to build a list for lua library which are compatible to lua5.2:
- luaposix
- luabitop
- lua-zlib
- luaexpat
- luajit
- luasql (luasql-mysql)

Otherwise:
- luabind (no yet)
- lualogging (no yet)
- luakit (no yet)
- luafilesystem [1]
- luasocket [2]
- luasec (no yet)
- luarocks (in progress [3])

It's a bit longer for all packages and I will need help from maintainer.

Do you think using the name of the library in filesystem instead of
project name is a good idea? e.g: lua-lfs instead of lua-filesystem.

[1] https://github.com/keplerproject/luafilesystem/commit/f634765b26c52d03aceed88c2130130ab43f6fa9
[2] http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12040601/is-there-a-lua-socket-library-compatibile-with-lua-5-2-1
[3] https://github.com/keplerproject/luarocks/commit/37aded056fae788088855b36281b1d23b0131fdb

Sébastien Luttringer 09-18-2012 09:54 PM

The path to lua 5.2

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 11:18 PM, Sébastien Luttringer <seblu@seblu.net> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 1:20 PM, Stéphane Gaudreault
> <stephane@archlinux.org> wrote:
>> Le 2012-09-13 16:19, Sébastien Luttringer a écrit :
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Version 5.2 of lua is out since December 2011 [1] and last update
>>> since June 2012.
>>>
>>> I suggest[2] to update our current lua package to 5.2.1 and introduce
>>> a new package lua51.
>>> As we need to rebuild and update dependencies of some packages, we can
>>> benefits to adopt a clean naming (like for python) for lua libraries
>>> like
>>> - lua-lfs for lua 5.2 version, where "lfs" is the name in the lua require.
>>> - lua51-lfs for 5.1 version.
>>> for current package lua-filesystem.
>>>
>>> Example:
>>> pkgbase=luafilsystem
>>> pkgname=(lua-lfs lua-lfs51)
>>>
>>> The goal is to drop lua51* package once all package will only needs lua
>>> 5.2.
>>>
>>> I currently have a lua (v5.2.1) and lua51 (v5.1.5) packages on my
>>> computer which works correctly.
>>>
>>> The following packages are out of my hands:
>>> seblu@brynhild ~ $ for i in extra testing; do sogrep $i lua.so; done
>>> celestia
>>> gnuplot
>>> graphviz
>>> gvim
>>> lighttpd
>>> nmap
>>> pdns-recursor
>>> rrdtool
>>> vlc
>>> weechat
>>> wireshark-cli
>>>
>>> seblu@brynhild ~ $ for i in community community-testing ; do sogrep $i
>>> lua.so; done
>>> awesome
>>> btanks
>>> cegui
>>> edje-svn
>>> electricsheep
>>> elinks
>>> fillets-ng
>>> geany-plugins
>>> grafx2
>>> hedgewars
>>> highlight
>>> highlight-gui
>>> libquvi
>>> luabind
>>> lua-zlib
>>> megaglest
>>> notion
>>> stone-soup
>>> task
>>> widelands
>>> xmoto
>>> widelands
>>>
>>> As there is not so many packages to update in community, I can do it
>>> myself. I need some helps for those in extra/core.
>>>
>>> Comments? Objections?
>>>
>>> [1] http://www.lua.org/versions.html#5.2
>>> [2] I'm not a lua expert, I use it only with awesome, so please tell
>>> me if you see something bad.
>>>
>> Before looking at the package names, I would like to see the list of
>> packages that are not compatible (no patch available). For packages in this
>> list, it could be interesting to look if upstream devs are still active and
>> if they have plans to move to 5.2. If not, we could simply drop them or
>> rebuild them without lua support when possible.
>
> I started to build a list for lua library which are compatible to lua5.2:
> - luaposix
> - luabitop
> - lua-zlib
> - luaexpat
> - luajit
> - luasql (luasql-mysql)
>
> Otherwise:
> - luabind (no yet)
> - lualogging (no yet)
> - luakit (no yet)
> - luafilesystem [1]
> - luasocket [2]
> - luasec (no yet)
> - luarocks (in progress [3])
>
> It's a bit longer for all packages and I will need help from maintainer.
>
> Do you think using the name of the library in filesystem instead of
> project name is a good idea? e.g: lua-lfs instead of lua-filesystem.
>
> [1] https://github.com/keplerproject/luafilesystem/commit/f634765b26c52d03aceed88c2130130ab43f6fa9
> [2] http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12040601/is-there-a-lua-socket-library-compatibile-with-lua-5-2-1
> [3] https://github.com/keplerproject/luarocks/commit/37aded056fae788088855b36281b1d23b0131fdb

Here is an updated list of packages which need to be bumped. Built
from 3 search.
- expac -S %N lua|tr " " "
"|grep -v ^$
- pkgfile -isd /usr/lib/lua/|cut -f 2 -d /
- for i in core extra testing community community-testing ; do sogrep
$i lua.so; done

http://pastebin.com/3siLkB34

It's about 50 packages.

Stéphane Gaudreault 09-18-2012 10:27 PM

The path to lua 5.2

[...]

Great !

- luaposix
- luabitop
- lua-zlib
- luaexpat
- luajit
- luasql (luasql-mysql)

Otherwise:
- luabind (no yet)

I think that support for lua 5.2 were included in the Luabind repository:
See https://github.com/luabind/luabind/commits/0.9

- lualogging (no yet)
- luakit (no yet)
- luafilesystem [1]
- luasocket [2]
- luasec (no yet)
- luarocks (in progress [3])

It's a bit longer for all packages and I will need help from maintainer.

Do you think using the name of the library in filesystem instead of
project name is a good idea? e.g: lua-lfs instead of lua-filesystem.
I would vote to use the project name. If I found a project that provide
something that could be useful in my code on the web and want to know if
there is a corresponding package in Arch it is natural to search for the
project name.

[1] https://github.com/keplerproject/luafilesystem/commit/f634765b26c52d03aceed88c2130130ab43f6fa9
[2] http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12040601/is-there-a-lua-socket-library-compatibile-with-lua-5-2-1
[3] https://github.com/keplerproject/luarocks/commit/37aded056fae788088855b36281b1d23b0131fdb

Here is an updated list of packages which need to be bumped. Built
from 3 search.
- expac -S %N lua|tr " " "
"|grep -v ^$
- pkgfile -isd /usr/lib/lua/|cut -f 2 -d /
- for i in core extra testing community community-testing ; do sogrep
$i lua.so; done

http://pastebin.com/3siLkB34

It's about 50 packages.

Just to make sure, are all those packages not listed in your previous
mail compatible with 5.2 ?

Cheers,

Stéphane

Allan McRae 09-19-2012 02:01 AM

The path to lua 5.2

On 19/09/12 07:54, Sébastien Luttringer wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 11:18 PM, Sébastien Luttringer <seblu@seblu.net> wrote:
>> On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 1:20 PM, Stéphane Gaudreault
>> <stephane@archlinux.org> wrote:

>>> Before looking at the package names, I would like to see the list of
>>> packages that are not compatible (no patch available). For packages in this
>>> list, it could be interesting to look if upstream devs are still active and
>>> if they have plans to move to 5.2. If not, we could simply drop them or
>>> rebuild them without lua support when possible.
>>
>> I started to build a list for lua library which are compatible to lua5.2:
>> - luaposix
>> - luabitop
>> - lua-zlib
>> - luaexpat
>> - luajit
>> - luasql (luasql-mysql)
>>
>> Otherwise:
>> - luabind (no yet)
>> - lualogging (no yet)
>> - luakit (no yet)
>> - luafilesystem [1]
>> - luasocket [2]
>> - luasec (no yet)
>> - luarocks (in progress [3])
>>
>> It's a bit longer for all packages and I will need help from maintainer.
>>
>> Do you think using the name of the library in filesystem instead of
>> project name is a good idea? e.g: lua-lfs instead of lua-filesystem.

I'd say to always use the project name.

>> [1] https://github.com/keplerproject/luafilesystem/commit/f634765b26c52d03aceed88c2130130ab43f6fa9
>> [2] http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12040601/is-there-a-lua-socket-library-compatibile-with-lua-5-2-1
>> [3] https://github.com/keplerproject/luarocks/commit/37aded056fae788088855b36281b1d23b0131fdb
>
> Here is an updated list of packages which need to be bumped. Built
> from 3 search.
> - expac -S %N lua|tr " " "
"|grep -v ^$
> - pkgfile -isd /usr/lib/lua/|cut -f 2 -d /
> - for i in core extra testing community community-testing ; do sogrep
> $i lua.so; done
>
> http://pastebin.com/3siLkB34
>
> It's about 50 packages.

I think we should provide lua and lua51 packages with as much as
possible built using the lua (5.2) package and the rest built for lua51.
That may mean we need to provide lua51 versions of libraries too for
the transitional period.

If you create the rebuild list and send me the PKGBUILDs for lua and
lua51 - and anything else in [extra] that immediately needs done - I
will build them for [extra].

Allan

Sébastien Luttringer 09-23-2012 02:30 AM

The path to lua 5.2

On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 4:01 AM, Allan McRae <allan@archlinux.org> wrote:
> I think we should provide lua and lua51 packages with as much as
> possible built using the lua (5.2) package and the rest built for lua51.
> That may mean we need to provide lua51 versions of libraries too for
> the transitional period.
>
> If you create the rebuild list and send me the PKGBUILDs for lua and
> lua51 - and anything else in [extra] that immediately needs done - I
> will build them for [extra].

Waiting last words on package naming, lua and lua51 are available here [1].

[1] http://pkgbuild.com/~seblu/