Old 09-05-2012, 12:11 PM
Gaetan Bisson

Default fontconfig 2.10.1 will require user interaction

[2012-09-05 13:23:33 +0200] Andreas Radke:
> News draft:

May I suggest the following version:

fontconfig 2.10.1 update - manual intervention required

Symlinks formerly created by the post_install script of fontconfig will
now be part of the package starting with version 2.10.1. To resolve the
detected conflicts, you may safely force this upgrade by running:

pacman -Syf fontconfig
pacman -Su

Remember that most system-wide fontconfig configuration tasks (such as
enabling auto-hinting, sub-pixel rendering, or lcd-filter) should be
done by creating symlinks from files under /etc/fonts/conf.avail to
/etc/fonts/conf.d.

For details, see https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Font_Configuration
and https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fonts.

--
Gaetan

Old 09-05-2012, 12:23 PM
Dave Reisner

On Wed, Sep 05, 2012 at 10:11:21PM +1000, Gaetan Bisson wrote:
> [2012-09-05 13:23:33 +0200] Andreas Radke:
> > News draft:
>
> May I suggest the following version:
>

> fontconfig 2.10.1 update - manual intervention required
>
> Symlinks formerly created by the post_install script of fontconfig will
> now be part of the package starting with version 2.10.1. To resolve the
> detected conflicts, you may safely force this upgrade by running:
>
> pacman -Syf fontconfig

We should suggest --force here, not -f, since the latter no longer
exists in 4.1.

Old 09-05-2012, 01:18 PM
Dan McGee

On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 7:23 AM, Dave Reisner <d@falconindy.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 05, 2012 at 10:11:21PM +1000, Gaetan Bisson wrote:
>> [2012-09-05 13:23:33 +0200] Andreas Radke:
>> > News draft:
>>
>> May I suggest the following version:
>>

>> fontconfig 2.10.1 update - manual intervention required
>>
>> Symlinks formerly created by the post_install script of fontconfig will
>> now be part of the package starting with version 2.10.1. To resolve the
>> detected conflicts, you may safely force this upgrade by running:
>>
>> pacman -Syf fontconfig
>
> We should suggest --force here, not -f, since the latter no longer
> exists in 4.1.
Seconded, and we should always sugest --force anyway, as it is then
much clearer to the user what they are doing is an extreme measure.

-Dan

Old 09-05-2012, 09:02 PM
Rémy Oudompheng

On 2012/9/5 Dan McGee <dpmcgee@gmail.com> wrote:
> Seconded, and we should always sugest --force anyway, as it is then
> much clearer to the user what they are doing is an extreme measure.

I don't like suggesting --force, we have suggested exactly the
contrary for the filesystem upgrade for /usr move, and people ran into
problems.

I would simply recommend removing the offending files using rm, we
certainly know the list.

Rémy.

Old 09-06-2012, 03:57 PM
Daniel Wallace

On Thu, Sep 06, 2012 at 09:25:06AM +0200, Andreas Radke wrote:
> Am Wed, 5 Sep 2012 23:02:27 +0200
> schrieb Rémy Oudompheng <remyoudompheng@gmail.com>:
>
> > I would simply recommend removing the offending files using rm, we
> > certainly know the list.
> >
> > Rémy.
> >

> News draft:
>
> fontconfig 2.10.1 update - manual intervention required
>
> Fontconfig 2.10.1 update overwrites symlinks created by
> the former package version. These symlinks need to be removed before
> any further update:
>
> rm -f /etc/fonts/conf.d/20-unhint-small-vera.conf
> rm -f /etc/fonts/conf.d/29-replace-bitmap-fonts.conf
> rm -f /etc/fonts/conf.d/30-metric-aliases.conf
> rm -f /etc/fonts/conf.d/30-urw-aliases.conf
> rm -f /etc/fonts/conf.d/40-nonlatin.conf
> rm -f /etc/fonts/conf.d/45-latin.conf
> rm -f /etc/fonts/conf.d/49-sansserif.conf
> rm -f /etc/fonts/conf.d/50-user.conf
> rm -f /etc/fonts/conf.d/51-local.conf
> rm -f /etc/fonts/conf.d/60-latin.conf
> rm -f /etc/fonts/conf.d/65-fonts-persian.conf
> rm -f /etc/fonts/conf.d/65-nonlatin.conf
> rm -f /etc/fonts/conf.d/69-unifont.conf
> rm -f /etc/fonts/conf.d/80-delicious.conf
> rm -f /etc/fonts/conf.d/90-synthetic.conf
> pacman -Syu
>
> Main systemwide configuration should be done by symlinks
> (especially for autohinting, sub-pixel and lcdfilter):
>
> cd /etc/fonts/conf.d
> ln -s ../conf.avail/XX-foo.conf
>
> Check also https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Font_Configuration and
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fonts.
>

> I'd like to move it soon. It seems to work pretty solid. I only had to
> fix the dpi settings on my nvidia twinview desktop where small fonts
> suddenly were displayed a lot smaller and somehow ugly.
>
> -Andy

can the news article bechanged to say -Syu instead of now where it says
-Sy fontconfig which we have always said was frowned upon if I remember
correctly.
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=802661#p802661
--
Daniel Wallace
Archlinux Trusted User (gtmanfred)

Old 09-06-2012, 04:05 PM
Dave Reisner

Yes, I'm top posting from my phone. No, there isn't much point in worrying
about -Sy if the next thing you do is -Su. At some point we have to accept
that no matter what we post, someone will complain that it was misleading,
wrong, or otherwise kicked their cat.

Old 09-06-2012, 05:31 PM
Rashif Ray Rahman

On 6 September 2012 23:57, Daniel Wallace <danielwallace@gtmanfred.com> wrote:
> can the news article bechanged to say -Syu instead of now where it says
> -Sy fontconfig which we have always said was frowned upon if I remember
> correctly.
> https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=802661#p802661

You don't want to pull in extra burden when there's intervention for
just one package. More can go wrong. So it's a case-by-case sort of
thing. The warning to always -Syu is something general, mostly for
people that don't know what they're doing.

An update can involve a number of packages, so if you simply -Sy pkg
there is a chance to break things. This does not apply to independent
package updates and cases such as the one we have here today.

So, do -Syu, unless otherwise stated. There will always be special
cases, there is no one solution.

--
GPG/PGP ID: C0711BF1

Old 09-06-2012, 05:57 PM
Dan McGee

On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 2:25 AM, Andreas Radke <andyrtr@archlinux.org> wrote:
> Am Wed, 5 Sep 2012 23:02:27 +0200
> schrieb Rémy Oudompheng <remyoudompheng@gmail.com>:
>
>> I would simply recommend removing the offending files using rm, we
>> certainly know the list.
>>
>> Rémy.
>>

> News draft:
>
> fontconfig 2.10.1 update - manual intervention required
>
> Fontconfig 2.10.1 update overwrites symlinks created by
> the former package version. These symlinks need to be removed before
> any further update:
>
> rm -f /etc/fonts/conf.d/20-unhint-small-vera.conf
> rm -f /etc/fonts/conf.d/29-replace-bitmap-fonts.conf
> rm -f /etc/fonts/conf.d/30-metric-aliases.conf
> rm -f /etc/fonts/conf.d/30-urw-aliases.conf
> rm -f /etc/fonts/conf.d/40-nonlatin.conf
> rm -f /etc/fonts/conf.d/45-latin.conf
> rm -f /etc/fonts/conf.d/49-sansserif.conf
> rm -f /etc/fonts/conf.d/50-user.conf
> rm -f /etc/fonts/conf.d/51-local.conf
> rm -f /etc/fonts/conf.d/60-latin.conf
> rm -f /etc/fonts/conf.d/65-fonts-persian.conf
> rm -f /etc/fonts/conf.d/65-nonlatin.conf
> rm -f /etc/fonts/conf.d/69-unifont.conf
> rm -f /etc/fonts/conf.d/80-delicious.conf
> rm -f /etc/fonts/conf.d/90-synthetic.conf
> pacman -Syu
>
> Main systemwide configuration should be done by symlinks
> (especially for autohinting, sub-pixel and lcdfilter):
>
> cd /etc/fonts/conf.d
> ln -s ../conf.avail/XX-foo.conf
>
> Check also https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Font_Configuration and
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fonts.

I edited the news item only slightly so Markdown formatting would kick
in on the command listings.