Old 09-05-2012, 11:23 AM
Andreas Radke

Default fontconfig 2.10.1 will require user interaction

The new fontconfig pkg has been built plain upstream way. We
don't create symlinks anymore in our fontconfig.install scriptlet. The
old symlinks will be detected by pacman before the update will happen
that leads to a file conflict.

It's safe to pacman -Sf fontconfig here or remove the old symlinks
before you run the -Su again.

News draft:

fontconfig 2.10.1 update - manual intervention required

Fontconfig 2.10.1 update overwrites symlinks created by
the former package version. The update should be forced to run before
any further update:

pacman -Syf fontconfig
pacman -Su

Main systemwide configuration should be done by symlinks
(especially for autohinting, sub-pixel and lcdfilter):

cd /etc/fonts/conf.d
ln -s ../conf.avail/XX-foo.conf

Check also https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Font_Configuration and
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fonts.

-Andy

Old 09-06-2012, 07:25 AM
Andreas Radke

Am Wed, 5 Sep 2012 23:02:27 +0200
schrieb Rémy Oudompheng <remyoudompheng@gmail.com>:

> I would simply recommend removing the offending files using rm, we
> certainly know the list.
>
> Rémy.

News draft:

fontconfig 2.10.1 update - manual intervention required

Fontconfig 2.10.1 update overwrites symlinks created by
the former package version. These symlinks need to be removed before
any further update:

rm -f /etc/fonts/conf.d/20-unhint-small-vera.conf
rm -f /etc/fonts/conf.d/29-replace-bitmap-fonts.conf
rm -f /etc/fonts/conf.d/30-metric-aliases.conf
rm -f /etc/fonts/conf.d/30-urw-aliases.conf
rm -f /etc/fonts/conf.d/40-nonlatin.conf
rm -f /etc/fonts/conf.d/45-latin.conf
rm -f /etc/fonts/conf.d/49-sansserif.conf
rm -f /etc/fonts/conf.d/50-user.conf
rm -f /etc/fonts/conf.d/51-local.conf
rm -f /etc/fonts/conf.d/60-latin.conf
rm -f /etc/fonts/conf.d/65-fonts-persian.conf
rm -f /etc/fonts/conf.d/65-nonlatin.conf
rm -f /etc/fonts/conf.d/69-unifont.conf
rm -f /etc/fonts/conf.d/80-delicious.conf
rm -f /etc/fonts/conf.d/90-synthetic.conf
pacman -Syu

Main systemwide configuration should be done by symlinks
(especially for autohinting, sub-pixel and lcdfilter):

cd /etc/fonts/conf.d
ln -s ../conf.avail/XX-foo.conf

Check also https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Font_Configuration and
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fonts.

I'd like to move it soon. It seems to work pretty solid. I only had to
fix the dpi settings on my nvidia twinview desktop where small fonts
suddenly were displayed a lot smaller and somehow ugly.

-Andy

Old 09-06-2012, 07:59 AM
Heiko Baums

Am Thu, 6 Sep 2012 09:25:06 +0200
schrieb Andreas Radke <andyrtr@archlinux.org>:

> Am Wed, 5 Sep 2012 23:02:27 +0200
> schrieb Rémy Oudompheng <remyoudompheng@gmail.com>:
>
> > I would simply recommend removing the offending files using rm, we
> > certainly know the list.
> >
> > Rémy.
> >

> News draft:
>
> fontconfig 2.10.1 update - manual intervention required
>
> Fontconfig 2.10.1 update overwrites symlinks created by
> the former package version. These symlinks need to be removed before
> any further update:
>
> rm -f /etc/fonts/conf.d/20-unhint-small-vera.conf
> rm -f /etc/fonts/conf.d/29-replace-bitmap-fonts.conf
> rm -f /etc/fonts/conf.d/30-metric-aliases.conf
> rm -f /etc/fonts/conf.d/30-urw-aliases.conf
> rm -f /etc/fonts/conf.d/40-nonlatin.conf
> rm -f /etc/fonts/conf.d/45-latin.conf
> rm -f /etc/fonts/conf.d/49-sansserif.conf
> rm -f /etc/fonts/conf.d/50-user.conf
> rm -f /etc/fonts/conf.d/51-local.conf
> rm -f /etc/fonts/conf.d/60-latin.conf
> rm -f /etc/fonts/conf.d/65-fonts-persian.conf
> rm -f /etc/fonts/conf.d/65-nonlatin.conf
> rm -f /etc/fonts/conf.d/69-unifont.conf
> rm -f /etc/fonts/conf.d/80-delicious.conf
> rm -f /etc/fonts/conf.d/90-synthetic.conf
> pacman -Syu
>
> Main systemwide configuration should be done by symlinks
> (especially for autohinting, sub-pixel and lcdfilter):
>
> cd /etc/fonts/conf.d
> ln -s ../conf.avail/XX-foo.conf

Wouldn't it be possible and make sense to remove those in the
pre_install() or pre_upgrade() functions of the new packages?

Heiko

Old 09-06-2012, 08:06 AM
Andreas Radke

Am Thu, 6 Sep 2012 09:59:07 +0200
schrieb Heiko Baums <lists@baums-on-web.de>:

> Wouldn't it be possible and make sense to remove those in the
> pre_install() or pre_upgrade() functions of the new packages?
>
> Heiko

Pacman will detect the symlinks and break before the install scriptlet
will be run. So this is not an option.

-Andy

Old 09-06-2012, 08:20 AM
Heiko Baums

Am Thu, 6 Sep 2012 10:06:57 +0200
schrieb Andreas Radke <andyrtr@archlinux.org>:

> Pacman will detect the symlinks and break before the install scriptlet
> will be run. So this is not an option.

Did you test it?

I'm pretty sure it won't, since I tested this before in one of my AUR
packages. Well, it was the removal of files in /lib due to the change
from /lib to /usr/lib, but at least this has worked.

Heiko

Old 09-06-2012, 10:27 AM
Allan McRae

On 06/09/12 18:20, Heiko Baums wrote:
> Am Thu, 6 Sep 2012 10:06:57 +0200
> schrieb Andreas Radke <andyrtr@archlinux.org>:
>
>> Pacman will detect the symlinks and break before the install scriptlet
>> will be run. So this is not an option.
>
> Did you test it?
>
> I'm pretty sure it won't, since I tested this before in one of my AUR
> packages. Well, it was the removal of files in /lib due to the change
> from /lib to /usr/lib, but at least this has worked.

Conflict checking is done before pre_install scripts are run. Those
files are not owned by any package so will produce a conflict.

Allan

Old 09-06-2012, 10:56 AM
Guillaume Brunerie

On 2012/9/6 Allan McRae <allan@archlinux.org> wrote:

> On 06/09/12 18:20, Heiko Baums wrote:
> > Am Thu, 6 Sep 2012 10:06:57 +0200
> > schrieb Andreas Radke <andyrtr@archlinux.org>:
> >
> >> Pacman will detect the symlinks and break before the install scriptlet
> >> will be run. So this is not an option.
> >
> > Did you test it?
> >
> > I'm pretty sure it won't, since I tested this before in one of my AUR
> > packages. Well, it was the removal of files in /lib due to the change
> > from /lib to /usr/lib, but at least this has worked.
> >

> Conflict checking is done before pre_install scripts are run. Those
> files are not owned by any package so will produce a conflict.

Perhaps a pre_conflict_checking() function should be added to pacman to
take care of this kind of problems. Has this already been considered?