Old 08-27-2012, 02:10 PM
Tobias Powalowski

Default linux-3.5.x status

Am 23.08.2012 16:10, schrieb Tobias Powalowski:
> Hi guys,
>
> 3.5.x is not yet ready to move to [core],
> - ext4 regression is not fixed yet, will be fixed in 3.5.3
> - watchdogs are completely broken
> I'm not sure how much of a showstopper the watchdogs are, so please
> shout out if this is a real problem.
> If you have any other showstopper please let me know.
>
> greetings
> tpowa
Ok everything reported fixed.
Please signoff and 3.5.3 will move to core.

greetings
tpowa

--
Tobias Powalowski
http://www.archlinux.org

Old 08-27-2012, 02:10 PM
Tobias Powalowski

Old 08-27-2012, 03:50 PM
Geert Hendrickx

On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 18:34:18 +0200, Thomas Bächler wrote:
> Am 23.08.2012 18:29, schrieb Geert Hendrickx:
> > Since upgrading to 3.5.x, my system with mdraid mirror boots with either
> > a degraded RAID array, or not auto-discovering the RAID at all.
> >
> > The disks are fine, confirmed by both SMART selftest and badblocks scan.
> > Downgraded back to 3.4.9 and the problem went away.
> >
> > Anyone else experienced this? My setup should be common, with /boot on
> > /dev/md0 over sda1+sdb1, and the rest on LVM on /dev/md1 over sda2+sdb2.
>
> At home, I have sda1+sdb1 on md0 and sda4+sdb4 on md1, and I don't see
> any problems.

For me it's still very much reproducible though, with either 3.5.2 or 3.5.3.

Geert

--
geert.hendrickx.be :: geert@hendrickx.be :: PGP: 0xC4BB9E9F

Old 08-27-2012, 04:06 PM
Thomas Bächler

Am 27.08.2012 17:50, schrieb Geert Hendrickx:
> On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 18:34:18 +0200, Thomas Bächler wrote:
>> Am 23.08.2012 18:29, schrieb Geert Hendrickx:
>>> Since upgrading to 3.5.x, my system with mdraid mirror boots with either
>>> a degraded RAID array, or not auto-discovering the RAID at all.
>>>
>>> The disks are fine, confirmed by both SMART selftest and badblocks scan.
>>> Downgraded back to 3.4.9 and the problem went away.
>>>
>>> Anyone else experienced this? My setup should be common, with /boot on
>>> /dev/md0 over sda1+sdb1, and the rest on LVM on /dev/md1 over sda2+sdb2.
>>
>> At home, I have sda1+sdb1 on md0 and sda4+sdb4 on md1, and I don't see
>> any problems.
>

> For me it's still very much reproducible though, with either 3.5.2 or 3.5.3.

Can you run add 'break=premount' to the kernel command line and try to
get some mdadm output? I don't know exactly what to look for, but maybe
try to assemble the array with verbose output. By using break=premount,
you hook into the boot process _before_ anything has been written to
your disk, so you don't destroy the consistency of your RAID.

Also, can we see your mdadm.conf? Which mdadm hook are you using, mdadm
or mdadm_udev (I use mdadm_udev btw)?

Old 08-27-2012, 04:41 PM
Geert Hendrickx

On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 18:06:05 +0200, Thomas Bächler wrote:
> Can you run add 'break=premount' to the kernel command line and try to
> get some mdadm output? I don't know exactly what to look for, but maybe
> try to assemble the array with verbose output. By using break=premount,
> you hook into the boot process _before_ anything has been written to
> your disk, so you don't destroy the consistency of your RAID.
>
> Also, can we see your mdadm.conf? Which mdadm hook are you using, mdadm
> or mdadm_udev (I use mdadm_udev btw)?

break=premount breaks after RAID+LVM assembly, so doesn't really help. :-)

But I get dropped to a shell prompt anyway when the raid can't be assembled.
I forgot to mention, "mdassemble" always works fine from there (no "mdadm"
command in the initrd). Could it be a timing related issue/race condition?

My mdadm.conf is attached. I don't know whether that uses mdad_udev or not?

Geert

--
geert.hendrickx.be :: geert@hendrickx.be :: PGP: 0xC4BB9E9F
### obtain the following with `mdadm --examine --scan`

### RAID-1
DEVICE /dev/hd*[0-9] /dev/sd*[0-9]
ARRAY /dev/md0 UUID=d3922590:e3cb6140:a860122c:a592f098
ARRAY /dev/md1 metadata=1.2 UUID=a00a0fc2:43a84051:d4e59313:a75d70bf name=boris.ghen.be:1

### MONITOR
MAILADDR root

Old 08-27-2012, 08:25 PM
Thomas Bächler

Am 27.08.2012 18:41, schrieb Geert Hendrickx:
> On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 18:06:05 +0200, Thomas Bächler wrote:
>> Can you run add 'break=premount' to the kernel command line and try to
>> get some mdadm output? I don't know exactly what to look for, but maybe
>> try to assemble the array with verbose output. By using break=premount,
>> you hook into the boot process _before_ anything has been written to
>> your disk, so you don't destroy the consistency of your RAID.
>>
>> Also, can we see your mdadm.conf? Which mdadm hook are you using, mdadm
>> or mdadm_udev (I use mdadm_udev btw)?
>

> break=premount breaks after RAID+LVM assembly, so doesn't really help. :-)
>
> But I get dropped to a shell prompt anyway when the raid can't be assembled.
> I forgot to mention, "mdassemble" always works fine from there (no "mdadm"
> command in the initrd). Could it be a timing related issue/race condition?
>
> My mdadm.conf is attached. I don't know whether that uses mdad_udev or not?

/etc/mkinitcpio.conf tells you

Old 08-28-2012, 05:55 PM
pants

On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 04:10:26PM +0200, Tobias Powalowski wrote:
> If you have any other showstopper please let me know.

I just upgraded my machine to the new kernel this morning, and was
greeted by a kernel panic coming out of the shower. Unfortunately,
nothing was logged to the disk, so I have nothing to share here, which
probably makes this email near useless.

However, it is worth noting that after forcing the system down and
powering it on again, I was greeted with "MACHINE CHECK ERROR" after the
BIOS splash, followed by a boot cycle which would again stop at this
point. After turning the machine off again for a while, I powered it on
with no difficulty and was able to boot into arch.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

pants.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:30 PM
Jameson

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 1:55 PM, pants <pants@cs.hmc.edu> wrote:
> I just upgraded my machine to the new kernel this morning, and was
> greeted by a kernel panic coming out of the shower. Unfortunately,
> nothing was logged to the disk, so I have nothing to share here, which
> probably makes this email near useless.
>
> However, it is worth noting that after forcing the system down and
> powering it on again, I was greeted with "MACHINE CHECK ERROR" after the
> BIOS splash, followed by a boot cycle which would again stop at this
> point. After turning the machine off again for a while, I powered it on
> with no difficulty and was able to boot into arch.
>
> Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I'm no kernel dev, but that sounds like a hardware issue to me.

=-Jameson