Old 08-15-2012, 12:46 AM
Tom Gundersen

Default dropping cpufrequtils

Hi guys,

As was discussed some time ago, I'd like to drop cpufrequtils from our
repos. It is dead upstream, and has been replaced by cpupower (in
community).

I see no reason to move cpupower out of community, but let me know if
you disagree.

The only blocker now is that gnome-applets depend on cpufrequtils and
cpupower is not binary/source compatible. There are patches around
though, so shouldn't be a big problem.

Comments?

Tom

Old 08-15-2012, 02:42 AM
Jan Steffens

On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 2:46 AM, Tom Gundersen <teg@jklm.no> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> As was discussed some time ago, I'd like to drop cpufrequtils from our
> repos. It is dead upstream, and has been replaced by cpupower (in
> community).
>
> I see no reason to move cpupower out of community, but let me know if
> you disagree.
>
> The only blocker now is that gnome-applets depend on cpufrequtils and
> cpupower is not binary/source compatible. There are patches around
> though, so shouldn't be a big problem.
>
> Comments?
>
> Tom

cpupower currently has no hook for pm-utils. I attached the one I'm using.

gnome-applets are deprecated anyway (they don't work with
gnome-shell). We can just kick out the cpufreq-applet.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:43 PM
Tom Gundersen

On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 4:42 AM, Jan Steffens <jan.steffens@gmail.com> wrote:

> cpupower currently has no hook for pm-utils. I attached the one I'm using.

Sébastien: Could you have a look at the attached file?

> gnome-applets are deprecated anyway (they don't work with
> gnome-shell). We can just kick out the cpufreq-applet.

Ok. I'll drop cupfrequtils from the repos, so gnome-applets will have
to drop cpufrq-applet on the next rebuild. Do you want to push a new
version of gnome-applets before I drop the package?

-t

Old 09-13-2012, 11:43 PM
Sébastien Luttringer

On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 2:46 AM, Tom Gundersen <teg@jklm.no> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> As was discussed some time ago, I'd like to drop cpufrequtils from our
> repos. It is dead upstream, and has been replaced by cpupower (in
> community).
>
> I see no reason to move cpupower out of community, but let me know if
> you disagree.

Kyle Keen told me on IRC that archboot is now broken because it
depends of cpufrequtils.

--
Sébastien "Seblu" Luttringer
www.seblu.net

Old 09-13-2012, 11:54 PM
Allan McRae

On 14/09/12 09:43, Sébastien Luttringer wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 2:46 AM, Tom Gundersen <teg@jklm.no> wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> As was discussed some time ago, I'd like to drop cpufrequtils from our
>> repos. It is dead upstream, and has been replaced by cpupower (in
>> community).
>>
>> I see no reason to move cpupower out of community, but let me know if
>> you disagree.
>
> Kyle Keen told me on IRC that archboot is now broken because it
> depends of cpufrequtils.

Bug reports to the bug tracker...

Allan

Old 09-13-2012, 11:57 PM
Gaetan Bisson

[2012-09-14 01:43:30 +0200] Sébastien Luttringer:
> Kyle Keen told me on IRC that archboot is now broken because it
> depends of cpufrequtils.

Anyone can pick it up there and maintain it:

https://projects.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git/tree/cpufrequtils/trunk?id=28e616ed972f0fdd11d11c02bdf7fc7a41e0afdf

--
Gaetan

Old 09-14-2012, 12:18 AM
Sébastien Luttringer

On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 1:57 AM, Gaetan Bisson <bisson@archlinux.org> wrote:
> [2012-09-14 01:43:30 +0200] Sébastien Luttringer:
>> Kyle Keen told me on IRC that archboot is now broken because it
>> depends of cpufrequtils.
>
> Anyone can pick it up there and maintain it:
>
> https://projects.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git/tree/cpufrequtils/trunk?id=28e616ed972f0fdd11d11c02bdf7fc7a41e0afdf

Rather we should fix archboot (probably just a deps to change) as a
quick grep let thinking that only use 2 files which are also provided
by cpupower:
/usr/bin/cpufreq-bench_plot.sh and /etc/cpufreq-bench.conf.

Old 09-14-2012, 05:38 AM
Tobias Powalowski

Am 14.09.2012 02:18, schrieb Sébastien Luttringer:
> On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 1:57 AM, Gaetan Bisson <bisson@archlinux.org> wrote:
>> [2012-09-14 01:43:30 +0200] Sébastien Luttringer:
>>> Kyle Keen told me on IRC that archboot is now broken because it
>>> depends of cpufrequtils.
>> Anyone can pick it up there and maintain it:
>>
>> https://projects.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git/tree/cpufrequtils/trunk?id=28e616ed972f0fdd11d11c02bdf7fc7a41e0afdf
>>
> Rather we should fix archboot (probably just a deps to change) as a
> quick grep let thinking that only use 2 files which are also provided
> by cpupower:
> /usr/bin/cpufreq-bench_plot.sh and /etc/cpufreq-bench.conf.

I would release a new version, but util-linux in testing blocks me.
You can always install archboot with -d option.

greetings
tpowa

--
Tobias Powalowski