-   -   dropping cpufrequtils (http://www.linux-archive.org/archlinux-development/694086-dropping-cpufrequtils.html)

Tom Gundersen 08-15-2012 12:46 AM

dropping cpufrequtils

Hi guys,

As was discussed some time ago, I'd like to drop cpufrequtils from our
repos. It is dead upstream, and has been replaced by cpupower (in
community).

I see no reason to move cpupower out of community, but let me know if
you disagree.

The only blocker now is that gnome-applets depend on cpufrequtils and
cpupower is not binary/source compatible. There are patches around
though, so shouldn't be a big problem.

Comments?

Tom

Jan Steffens 08-15-2012 02:42 AM

dropping cpufrequtils

On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 2:46 AM, Tom Gundersen <teg@jklm.no> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> As was discussed some time ago, I'd like to drop cpufrequtils from our
> repos. It is dead upstream, and has been replaced by cpupower (in
> community).
>
> I see no reason to move cpupower out of community, but let me know if
> you disagree.
>
> The only blocker now is that gnome-applets depend on cpufrequtils and
> cpupower is not binary/source compatible. There are patches around
> though, so shouldn't be a big problem.
>
> Comments?
>
> Tom

cpupower currently has no hook for pm-utils. I attached the one I'm using.

gnome-applets are deprecated anyway (they don't work with
gnome-shell). We can just kick out the cpufreq-applet.

Tom Gundersen 08-15-2012 08:43 PM

dropping cpufrequtils

On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 4:42 AM, Jan Steffens <jan.steffens@gmail.com> wrote:

> cpupower currently has no hook for pm-utils. I attached the one I'm using.

Sébastien: Could you have a look at the attached file?

> gnome-applets are deprecated anyway (they don't work with
> gnome-shell). We can just kick out the cpufreq-applet.

Ok. I'll drop cupfrequtils from the repos, so gnome-applets will have
to drop cpufrq-applet on the next rebuild. Do you want to push a new
version of gnome-applets before I drop the package?

-t

Sébastien Luttringer 09-13-2012 11:43 PM

dropping cpufrequtils

On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 2:46 AM, Tom Gundersen <teg@jklm.no> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> As was discussed some time ago, I'd like to drop cpufrequtils from our
> repos. It is dead upstream, and has been replaced by cpupower (in
> community).
>
> I see no reason to move cpupower out of community, but let me know if
> you disagree.

Kyle Keen told me on IRC that archboot is now broken because it
depends of cpufrequtils.

--
Sébastien "Seblu" Luttringer
www.seblu.net

Allan McRae 09-13-2012 11:54 PM

dropping cpufrequtils

On 14/09/12 09:43, Sébastien Luttringer wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 2:46 AM, Tom Gundersen <teg@jklm.no> wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> As was discussed some time ago, I'd like to drop cpufrequtils from our
>> repos. It is dead upstream, and has been replaced by cpupower (in
>> community).
>>
>> I see no reason to move cpupower out of community, but let me know if
>> you disagree.
>
> Kyle Keen told me on IRC that archboot is now broken because it
> depends of cpufrequtils.

Bug reports to the bug tracker...

Allan

Gaetan Bisson 09-13-2012 11:57 PM

dropping cpufrequtils

[2012-09-14 01:43:30 +0200] Sébastien Luttringer:
> Kyle Keen told me on IRC that archboot is now broken because it
> depends of cpufrequtils.

Anyone can pick it up there and maintain it:

https://projects.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git/tree/cpufrequtils/trunk?id=28e616ed972f0fdd11d11c02bdf7fc7a41e0afdf

--
Gaetan

Sébastien Luttringer 09-14-2012 12:18 AM

dropping cpufrequtils

On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 1:57 AM, Gaetan Bisson <bisson@archlinux.org> wrote:
> [2012-09-14 01:43:30 +0200] Sébastien Luttringer:
>> Kyle Keen told me on IRC that archboot is now broken because it
>> depends of cpufrequtils.
>
> Anyone can pick it up there and maintain it:
>
> https://projects.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git/tree/cpufrequtils/trunk?id=28e616ed972f0fdd11d11c02bdf7fc7a41e0afdf

Rather we should fix archboot (probably just a deps to change) as a
quick grep let thinking that only use 2 files which are also provided
by cpupower:
/usr/bin/cpufreq-bench_plot.sh and /etc/cpufreq-bench.conf.

Tobias Powalowski 09-14-2012 05:38 AM

dropping cpufrequtils

Am 14.09.2012 02:18, schrieb Sébastien Luttringer:
> On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 1:57 AM, Gaetan Bisson <bisson@archlinux.org> wrote:
>> [2012-09-14 01:43:30 +0200] Sébastien Luttringer:
>>> Kyle Keen told me on IRC that archboot is now broken because it
>>> depends of cpufrequtils.
>> Anyone can pick it up there and maintain it:
>>
>> https://projects.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git/tree/cpufrequtils/trunk?id=28e616ed972f0fdd11d11c02bdf7fc7a41e0afdf
>>
> Rather we should fix archboot (probably just a deps to change) as a
> quick grep let thinking that only use 2 files which are also provided
> by cpupower:
> /usr/bin/cpufreq-bench_plot.sh and /etc/cpufreq-bench.conf.

I would release a new version, but util-linux in testing blocks me.
You can always install archboot with -d option.

greetings
tpowa

--
Tobias Powalowski