FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > ArchLinux > ArchLinux Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 08-14-2012, 01:32 PM
Thomas Bächler
 
Default Lennart Poettering on udev-systemd

Am 14.08.2012 15:08, schrieb Baho Utot:
>> Wow, this sounds so much like a conspiracy theory. The fact is that the
>> people who write the code inevitably dictate which software is
>> maintained,
>> based on their interests and convictions, and they're pretty much
>> unanimous
>> that systemd is a better solution to the problem of booting and
>> maintaining
>> daemons than the solution we currently have.
>>
>> So yeah, I guess that's been the game plan all along: make booting and
>> daemon
>> control more consistent, faster, and easier for most users to maintain.
>>
>> Paul
>
> I don't understand your point....
>
> What is so wrong with the booting using sysvinit?
>
> I really don't need what systemd offers and sysvinit does everything I
> need and has not failed me.

And you don't want systemd because you are sure it won't do what
sysvinit can, even though you didn't try it.

> So is your point that I need to move to systemd because the developers
> tell me I must?

You need to move because the rest of the Linux ecosystem will require
systemd at some point, just like it now requires udev. If you don't like
it, then stop annoying us and start maintaining code that makes sure
YOUR way will keep working.

It's like that: Whoever contributes code makes the decisions.

> As for systemd being better solution for the problem of booting the
> beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I just don't see it, so why
> take away sysvint?

I could repeat what I said above.

> You can use systemd and I should be able to use what works for me and
> not be forced down the systemd path.

So, you are annoying the whole mailing list because you don't like that
you _might_ be forced to switch to a superior booting scheme which is
unlikely to affect you negatively in any way.

Arch's policy on systemd vs. initscripts has not even been discussed
among Arch developers yet, and nothing has been decided. Yet, you guys
are acting like someone's going to eat your childrn.

I can't stand this anymore. I want to just add replaces=('initscripts')
to the systemd package just to make this fucking "discussion" stop. If
you don't have anything _technical_ to discuss, and don't have any
problem that you want help solving, then move this bullshit somewhere I
don't have to see it.

I wonder if there is a way to lock a thread in mailman.
 
Old 08-14-2012, 01:37 PM
Allan McRae
 
Default Lennart Poettering on udev-systemd

On 14/08/12 23:32, Thomas Bächler wrote:

> I want to just add replaces=('initscripts')
> to the systemd package just to make this fucking "discussion" stop.

I'm doing nothing tomorrow...
 
Old 08-14-2012, 01:43 PM
Allan McRae
 
Default Lennart Poettering on udev-systemd

On 14/08/12 23:32, Thomas Bächler wrote:
>
> I wonder if there is a way to lock a thread in mailman.
>

My solution was to unsubscribe to arch-general... So all those long
threads have achieved is that I will now make decisions with even less
community input.

Allan
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:11 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org