-   -   syslinux 4.05-5 does not boot (http://www.linux-archive.org/archlinux-development/691946-syslinux-4-05-5-does-not-boot.html)

Pierre Schmitz 08-08-2012 06:26 PM

syslinux 4.05-5 does not boot

Hi,

just a heads up for testing users: it seems the latest syslinux package
might be broken. It either frezzes right after printing the copyright
line or I got some blinking garbage on the screen. (couldn't
investigate; maybe I got more time tomorrow)

Greetings,

Pierre

Dave Reisner 08-08-2012 06:40 PM

syslinux 4.05-5 does not boot

On Wed, Aug 08, 2012 at 07:26:07PM +0100, Pierre Schmitz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> just a heads up for testing users: it seems the latest syslinux package
> might be broken. It either frezzes right after printing the copyright
> line or I got some blinking garbage on the screen. (couldn't
> investigate; maybe I got more time tomorrow)
>
> Greetings,
>
> Pierre
>
> --
> Pierre Schmitz, https://pierre-schmitz.com

Hrmm, works for me. Semi-related note, why are we forcibly updating
syslinux to the MBR on package update?

Evangelos Foutras 08-08-2012 06:56 PM

syslinux 4.05-5 does not boot

On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 9:26 PM, Pierre Schmitz <pierre@archlinux.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> just a heads up for testing users: it seems the latest syslinux package
> might be broken. It either frezzes right after printing the copyright
> line or I got some blinking garbage on the screen. (couldn't
> investigate; maybe I got more time tomorrow)
>
> Greetings,
>
> Pierre
>
> --
> Pierre Schmitz, https://pierre-schmitz.com

A user have opened a bug report about this:

https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/31065

Tobias Powalowski 08-08-2012 07:15 PM

syslinux 4.05-5 does not boot

Am 08.08.2012 20:56, schrieb Evangelos Foutras:
> On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 9:26 PM, Pierre Schmitz <pierre@archlinux.de> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> just a heads up for testing users: it seems the latest syslinux package
>> might be broken. It either frezzes right after printing the copyright
>> line or I got some blinking garbage on the screen. (couldn't
>> investigate; maybe I got more time tomorrow)
>>
>> Greetings,
>>
>> Pierre
>>
>> --
>> Pierre Schmitz, https://pierre-schmitz.com
> A user have opened a bug report about this:
>
> https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/31065
It was just a rebuild, with an added optdepend :/
Sorry folks, didn't want to break something.
I don't have the time now to look at it.

greetings
tpowa

--
Tobias Powalowski
http://www.archlinux.org

Evangelos Foutras 08-08-2012 07:25 PM

syslinux 4.05-5 does not boot

On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 10:15 PM, Tobias Powalowski
<tobias.powalowski@googlemail.com> wrote:
> It was just a rebuild, with an added optdepend :/
> Sorry folks, didn't want to break something.
> I don't have the time now to look at it.

Seems like a patch was added: avoid-using-ext2_fs.patch.

I took the liberty to remove the package from [testing] until we
figure out what's broken.

Tobias Powalowski 08-08-2012 07:29 PM

syslinux 4.05-5 does not boot

Am 08.08.2012 21:25, schrieb Evangelos Foutras:
> On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 10:15 PM, Tobias Powalowski
> <tobias.powalowski@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> It was just a rebuild, with an added optdepend :/
>> Sorry folks, didn't want to break something.
>> I don't have the time now to look at it.
> Seems like a patch was added: avoid-using-ext2_fs.patch.
>
> I took the liberty to remove the package from [testing] until we
> figure out what's broken.
The patch is from fedora, to be able to build syslinux.
http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/syslinux.git/tree/

greetings
tpowa

--
Tobias Powalowski
http://www.archlinux.org

Allan McRae 08-08-2012 10:04 PM

syslinux 4.05-5 does not boot

On 09/08/12 05:29, Tobias Powalowski wrote:
> Am 08.08.2012 21:25, schrieb Evangelos Foutras:
>> On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 10:15 PM, Tobias Powalowski
>> <tobias.powalowski@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>> It was just a rebuild, with an added optdepend :/
>>> Sorry folks, didn't want to break something.
>>> I don't have the time now to look at it.
>> Seems like a patch was added: avoid-using-ext2_fs.patch.
>>
>> I took the liberty to remove the package from [testing] until we
>> figure out what's broken.
> The patch is from fedora, to be able to build syslinux.
> http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/syslinux.git/tree/

It is needed as the ext2 fs stuff has been removed from the kernel headers.

Allan

Dave Reisner 08-08-2012 10:24 PM

syslinux 4.05-5 does not boot

On Aug 8, 2012 6:04 PM, "Allan McRae" <allan@archlinux.org> wrote:

> On 09/08/12 05:29, Tobias Powalowski wrote:
> > Am 08.08.2012 21:25, schrieb Evangelos Foutras:
> >> Seems like a patch was added: avoid-using-ext2_fs.patch.
> >>
> >> I took the liberty to remove the package from [testing] until we
> >> figure out what's broken.
> > The patch is from fedora, to be able to build syslinux.
> > http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/syslinux.git/tree/
> >

> It is needed as the ext2 fs stuff has been removed from the kernel
headers.

> Allan

Incidentally it also causes ext2 /boot to be unbootable.

Myra Nelson 08-08-2012 10:55 PM

syslinux 4.05-5 does not boot

On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 5:24 PM, Dave Reisner <d@falconindy.com> wrote:
> On Aug 8, 2012 6:04 PM, "Allan McRae" <allan@archlinux.org> wrote:

>> > The patch is from fedora, to be able to build syslinux.
>> > http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/syslinux.git/tree/
>> >

>> It is needed as the ext2 fs stuff has been removed from the kernel
> headers.
>>
>> Allan
>>

> Incidentally it also causes ext2 /boot to be unbootable.

Incidentally it also causes ext2 /boot to be unbootable, without a
doubt it does.

Dave's install scripts work great easiest install I've ever done,
however it won't boot off of ext2 with syslinux.

Myra

Ionut Biru 08-09-2012 12:46 AM

syslinux 4.05-5 does not boot

On 08/09/2012 01:55 AM, Myra Nelson wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 5:24 PM, Dave Reisner <d@falconindy.com> wrote:

>>> It is needed as the ext2 fs stuff has been removed from the kernel
>> headers.
>>>
>>> Allan
>>>

>> Incidentally it also causes ext2 /boot to be unbootable.
>
> Incidentally it also causes ext2 /boot to be unbootable, without a
> doubt it does.
>
> Dave's install scripts work great easiest install I've ever done,
> however it won't boot off of ext2 with syslinux.

Why do you want ext2 on /boot? All bootloaders support ext3/4 this days.

--
IonuČ›