Old 08-09-2012, 04:26 PM
Thomas Bächler

Default syslinux 4.05-5 does not boot

Am 09.08.2012 18:23, schrieb Manolo Martínez:
> On 08/09/12 at 11:18am, Leonid Isaev wrote:
>> On Thu, 9 Aug 2012 11:35:04 -0400
>> Manolo Martínez <manolo@austrohungaro.com> wrote:
>>> Is it safe to change an existing /boot from ext2 to ext4?
>>
>> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ext4
>>
> Is the information on the move from ext3 to ext4 valid for the issue at
> hand?

Yes.

Old 08-09-2012, 04:27 PM
Manolo Martínez

On 08/09/12 at 06:26pm, Thomas Bächler wrote:
> Am 09.08.2012 18:23, schrieb Manolo Martínez:
> > On 08/09/12 at 11:18am, Leonid Isaev wrote:
> >>
> >> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ext4
> >>
> > Is the information on the move from ext3 to ext4 valid for the issue at
> > hand?
>
> Yes.

Thanks, Thomas and Leonid.

Old 08-09-2012, 04:39 PM
Thomas Bächler

Am 09.08.2012 18:27, schrieb Manolo Martínez:
> On 08/09/12 at 06:26pm, Thomas Bächler wrote:

>>> Is the information on the move from ext3 to ext4 valid for the issue at
>>> hand?
>>
>> Yes.
>>

> Thanks, Thomas and Leonid.

To be more precise:

The wiki shows the following command:

# tune2fs -O extents,uninit_bg,dir_index /dev/the_partition
This converts ext3 to ext4 or ext2 to journal-less ext4.

# tune2fs -O extents,uninit_bg,dir_index,has_journal /dev/the_partition
This converts both ext2 and ext3 to ext4

# tune2fs -O extents,uninit_bg,dir_index,^has_journal /dev/the_partition
This converts both ext2 and ext3 to journal-less ext4

I haven't tried most of this, but it should work.

(Beware: This command alone doesn't work, only use it as described in
the wiki.)

Old 08-09-2012, 04:46 PM
Kevin Chadwick

> Then use ext4 without a journal. ext2 is out of date and ext4 is
> superior in every aspect.

ext4 is superior and it even beats btrfs in some speed tests. However,
it is rare that any new thing is superior in every respect.

An ext2 filesystem is easier to recover with tools like testdisk rather
than file carving and ext2 is supported on more operating systems.
Neither of these apply to /boot but if you don't need the more complex
journaling (that allows writes of a sort on a read only mount) where
your kernel is stored then why have it, though there seems to be a
reason now.

universal interface'

(Doug McIlroy)

Old 08-09-2012, 06:03 PM
Thomas Bächler

Am 08.08.2012 20:26, schrieb Pierre Schmitz:
> Hi,
>
> just a heads up for testing users: it seems the latest syslinux package
> might be broken. It either frezzes right after printing the copyright
> line or I got some blinking garbage on the screen. (couldn't
> investigate; maybe I got more time tomorrow)

Should be fixed in 4.05-6 in [testing].

Old 08-10-2012, 12:08 AM
Kyle

Thanks for posting the information about journalless ext4. I now have a
100MB ext4 /boot partition with no journal on my flash drive rather than
using ext2. Syslinux is working perfectly with this configuration.

~Kyle