Old 08-09-2012, 03:43 PM
Thomas Bächler

Default syslinux 4.05-5 does not boot

Am 09.08.2012 17:35, schrieb Manolo Martínez:
> On 08/09/12 at 05:27pm, Thomas Bächler wrote:
>> Am 09.08.2012 17:12, schrieb Jonathan:
>>> In the past I have seen ext2 saves time during boot vs ext3.Having a
>>> journal is no use since the files are rarely changed and the
>>> filesystem is mostly opened read only. The journal takes up some
>>> space. These may matter to you if you are trying to optimize boot
>>> times or disk usage.
>>
>> Then use ext4 without a journal. ext2 is out of date and ext4 is
>> superior in every aspect.
>>

> Is it safe to change an existing /boot from ext2 to ext4?

There's HOWTOs on doing this. You won't use all the features, but your
files will convert to extents while being updated.

To be safe, reinstall your bootloader after converting.

Old 08-09-2012, 03:45 PM
Thomas Bächler

Am 09.08.2012 17:34, schrieb Baho Utot:
> On 08/09/2012 11:27 AM, Thomas Bächler wrote:
>> Am 09.08.2012 17:12, schrieb Jonathan:
>>> In the past I have seen ext2 saves time during boot vs ext3.Having a
>>> journal is no use since the files are rarely changed and the
>>> filesystem is mostly opened read only. The journal takes up some
>>> space. These may matter to you if you are trying to optimize boot
>>> times or disk usage.
>> Then use ext4 without a journal. ext2 is out of date and ext4 is
>> superior in every aspect.
>>

> Ext2
>
> Ext2 stands for second extended file system.
> It was introduced in 1993. Developed by Rémy Card.
> This was developed to overcome the limitation of the original ext file
> system.
> Ext2 does not have journaling feature.
> On flash drives, usb drives, ext2 is recommended, as it doesn’t need to
> do the over head of journaling.
> Maximum individual file size can be from 16 GB to 2 TB
> Overall ext2 file system size can be from 2 TB to 32 TB
>
> Have a look at entry 5.

Thanks for telling me to look at "entry 5" but not enumerating the
entries. Thanks for quoting 10 year old information without giving a source.

What are you trying to tell us again?

Old 08-09-2012, 03:58 PM
Baho Utot

[...]

I gave you credit to be able to count, I guess you have trouble with that.

It is not 10 year old information it was published just after ext4 came out

google is your friend.

Old 08-09-2012, 03:59 PM
Leonid Isaev

On Thu, 9 Aug 2012 11:12:34 -0400
Jonathan <eyeswide@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 8:46 PM, Ionut Biru <ibiru@archlinux.org> wrote:

> >> Incidentally it also causes ext2 /boot to be unbootable, without a
> >> doubt it does.
> >>
> >> Dave's install scripts work great easiest install I've ever done,
> >> however it won't boot off of ext2 with syslinux.
> >>

> > Why do you want ext2 on /boot? All bootloaders support ext3/4 this days.
> >
> >> Myra
> >>

> > --
> > IonuÈ›
> >

> In the past I have seen ext2 saves time during boot vs ext3.Having a
> journal is no use since the files are rarely changed and the
> filesystem is mostly opened read only. The journal takes up some
> space. These may matter to you if you are trying to optimize boot
> times or disk usage.

But there is no ext{2,3} these days. The driver is ext4 for all ext* FS, only
configurations differ...

--
Leonid Isaev
GnuPG key: 0x164B5A6D

Old 08-09-2012, 04:08 PM
Thomas Bächler

Am 09.08.2012 17:58, schrieb Baho Utot:
> It is not 10 year old information it was published just after ext4 came out
>
> google is your friend.

It is still outdated information. After ext4 came out, it took a few
months until Google started implementing ext4 without a journal -
precisely because ext2 was outdated and had bad performance. This work
has been finished long ago and is available to everyone.

It seems Google is _your_ friend.

Old 08-09-2012, 04:12 PM
Manolo Martínez

On 08/09/12 at 06:08pm, Thomas Bächler wrote:
> Am 09.08.2012 17:58, schrieb Baho Utot:
> > It is not 10 year old information it was published just after ext4 came out
> >
> > google is your friend.
>
> It is still outdated information. After ext4 came out, it took a few
> months until Google started implementing ext4 without a journal -
> precisely because ext2 was outdated and had bad performance. This work
> has been finished long ago and is available to everyone.
>
> It seems Google is _your_ friend.

... and another enthralling battle of wits brought to you by
arch-general!

Old 08-09-2012, 04:12 PM
Baho Utot

It is not 10 year old information it was published just after ext4 came out

google is your friend.

It is still outdated information. After ext4 came out, it took a few
months until Google started implementing ext4 without a journal -
precisely because ext2 was outdated and had bad performance. This work
has been finished long ago and is available to everyone.

It seems Google is _your_ friend.

What ever, I am not going to bow down to you

Old 08-09-2012, 04:18 PM
Leonid Isaev

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ext4

Old 08-09-2012, 04:18 PM