-   -   Install media 2012.08.04 released (http://www.linux-archive.org/archlinux-development/690452-install-media-2012-08-04-released.html)

Pierre Schmitz 08-03-2012 10:06 PM

Install media 2012.08.04 released

The August snapshot of our live and install media comes with updated
packages and the following changes on top of the <a
href="https://www.archlinux.org/news/install-media-20120715-released/">previous
iso image</a>:
<ul>
<li>GRUB 2.0 instead of the legacy 0.9 version is available.</li>
<li>The <a
href="https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Installation_Guide">Installation
Guide</a> can be found at /root/install.txt</li>
<li>ZSH with GRML's config is used as interactive shell to provide a
user friendly and more convenient environment. This includes completion
support for pacstrap, arch-chroot, pacman and most other tools.</li>
<li>The network daemon is started by default which will automatically
setup your network when dhcp is available.</li>
</ul>
Note that all these changes only affect the live system and not the
base system you install using pacstrap.

---
Any thing I missed here or unclear? Let me know. So far we are ready to
go; archiso has been updated and I pushed a package into [extra]. The
only thing missing is a small patch for arch-chroot that should be
applied: http://paste.xinu.at/ktF/

It's only been 20 days since the last release, but I'd like to move to
a schedule where a new iso is released at the beginning (first week) of
a month. It's still quite a list of changes; not even mentioned a few
changes to archiso and the install scripts.

Greetings,

Pierre

Ionut Biru 08-03-2012 11:20 PM

On 08/04/2012 01:06 AM, Pierre Schmitz wrote:
> The August snapshot of our live and install media comes with updated
> packages and the following changes on top of the <a
> href="https://www.archlinux.org/news/install-media-20120715-released/">previous
> iso image</a>:
> <ul>
> <li>GRUB 2.0 instead of the legacy 0.9 version is available.</li>
> <li>The <a
> href="https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Installation_Guide">Installation
> Guide</a> can be found at /root/install.txt</li>
> <li>ZSH with GRML's config is used as interactive shell to provide a
> user friendly and more convenient environment. This includes completion
> support for pacstrap, arch-chroot, pacman and most other tools.</li>
> <li>The network daemon is started by default which will automatically
> setup your network when dhcp is available.</li>
> </ul>
> Note that all these changes only affect the live system and not the
> base system you install using pacstrap.
>
> ---
> Any thing I missed here or unclear? Let me know. So far we are ready to
> go; archiso has been updated and I pushed a package into [extra]. The
> only thing missing is a small patch for arch-chroot that should be
> applied: http://paste.xinu.at/ktF/
>
> It's only been 20 days since the last release, but I'd like to move to
> a schedule where a new iso is released at the beginning (first week) of
> a month. It's still quite a list of changes; not even mentioned a few
> changes to archiso and the install scripts.

Why not follow the kernel release? The iso is much more useful having
the latest kernel available.

--
IonuČ›

Dave Reisner 08-03-2012 11:22 PM

On Sat, Aug 04, 2012 at 02:20:41AM +0300, Ionut Biru wrote:
> On 08/04/2012 01:06 AM, Pierre Schmitz wrote:
> > The August snapshot of our live and install media comes with updated
> > packages and the following changes on top of the <a
> > href="https://www.archlinux.org/news/install-media-20120715-released/">previous
> > iso image</a>:
> > <ul>
> > <li>GRUB 2.0 instead of the legacy 0.9 version is available.</li>
> > <li>The <a
> > href="https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Installation_Guide">Installation
> > Guide</a> can be found at /root/install.txt</li>
> > <li>ZSH with GRML's config is used as interactive shell to provide a
> > user friendly and more convenient environment. This includes completion
> > support for pacstrap, arch-chroot, pacman and most other tools.</li>
> > <li>The network daemon is started by default which will automatically
> > setup your network when dhcp is available.</li>
> > </ul>
> > Note that all these changes only affect the live system and not the
> > base system you install using pacstrap.
> >
> > ---
> > Any thing I missed here or unclear? Let me know. So far we are ready to
> > go; archiso has been updated and I pushed a package into [extra]. The
> > only thing missing is a small patch for arch-chroot that should be
> > applied: http://paste.xinu.at/ktF/
> >
> > It's only been 20 days since the last release, but I'd like to move to
> > a schedule where a new iso is released at the beginning (first week) of
> > a month. It's still quite a list of changes; not even mentioned a few
> > changes to archiso and the install scripts.
> >

> Why not follow the kernel release? The iso is much more useful having
> the latest kernel available.

I've not seen us ever push a .0 kernel into [core] and you'd like to see
it on an ISO? You'll get 3.5 next month.

Dan McGee 08-04-2012 11:37 PM

On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 5:06 PM, Pierre Schmitz <pierre@archlinux.de> wrote:
> The August snapshot of our live and install media comes with updated
> packages and the following changes on top of the <a
> href="https://www.archlinux.org/news/install-media-20120715-released/">previous
> iso image</a>:
> <ul>
> <li>GRUB 2.0 instead of the legacy 0.9 version is available.</li>
> <li>The <a
> href="https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Installation_Guide">Installation
> Guide</a> can be found at /root/install.txt</li>
> <li>ZSH with GRML's config is used as interactive shell to provide a
> user friendly and more convenient environment. This includes completion
> support for pacstrap, arch-chroot, pacman and most other tools.</li>
> <li>The network daemon is started by default which will automatically
> setup your network when dhcp is available.</li>
> </ul>
> Note that all these changes only affect the live system and not the
> base system you install using pacstrap.

What was the rationale for not using markdown syntax? I've edited it
to look the exact same and not be inline HTML; please prefer markdown
in all cases that it can be used.

-Dan

Dan McGee 08-04-2012 11:43 PM

On Sat, Aug 4, 2012 at 6:37 PM, Dan McGee <dpmcgee@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 5:06 PM, Pierre Schmitz <pierre@archlinux.de> wrote:
>> The August snapshot of our live and install media comes with updated
>> packages and the following changes on top of the <a
>> href="https://www.archlinux.org/news/install-media-20120715-released/">previous
>> iso image</a>:
>> <ul>
>> <li>GRUB 2.0 instead of the legacy 0.9 version is available.</li>
>> <li>The <a
>> href="https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Installation_Guide">Installation
>> Guide</a> can be found at /root/install.txt</li>
>> <li>ZSH with GRML's config is used as interactive shell to provide a
>> user friendly and more convenient environment. This includes completion
>> support for pacstrap, arch-chroot, pacman and most other tools.</li>
>> <li>The network daemon is started by default which will automatically
>> setup your network when dhcp is available.</li>
>> </ul>
>> Note that all these changes only affect the live system and not the
>> base system you install using pacstrap.
>
> What was the rationale for not using markdown syntax? I've edited it
> to look the exact same and not be inline HTML; please prefer markdown
> in all cases that it can be used.

Note: "ISO" is an acronym; "iso" is not a word. Here is the markdown
version I just reposted:

The August snapshot of our live and install media comes with updated
packages and the following changes on top of the [previous ISO
image](/news/install-media-20120715-released/):

* GRUB 2.0 instead of the legacy 0.9 version is available.
* The [Installation Guide](https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php) can
be found at _/root/install.txt_.
* ZSH with [Grml's configuration](http://grml.org/zsh/) is used as
interactive shell to provide a user friendly and more convenient
environment. This includes completion support for pacstrap,
arch-chroot, pacman and most other tools.
* The network daemon is started by default which will automatically
setup your network if DHCP is available.

Note that all these changes only affect the live system and not the
base system you install using pacstrap. The ISO image can be
downloaded from our [download page](/download/). The next snapshot is
scheduled for September.

Pierre Schmitz 08-05-2012 03:07 AM

Am 05.08.2012 01:37, schrieb Dan McGee:
> What was the rationale for not using markdown syntax? I've edited it
> to look the exact same and not be inline HTML; please prefer markdown
> in all cases that it can be used.

If it does make a difference I'll have a look at markdown next time;
thought it would end up as HTML in the DB anyway. And I am way more
familar with HTML; and I think last time I tried there were some
problems when syntax was nested withn a list.