Old 07-20-2012, 10:00 PM
Pierre Schmitz

Default iso release schedule

Hi,

we had this discussed via several different channels by now so I
thought it might be about time to finalize some ideas here. To break
with our habit to release "when it's done" or "when really needed" which
just resulted in a yearly release I suggest the following:

We create a new iso every month no matter what. Let's just make it the
first week of a month. This means we'll have a new iso in about two
weeks. Not that crazy as we already have important changes like the
inclusion of grub2 and I assume we'll see some more bug reports once the
2010.07.15 iso has been announced.

Another positive side effect is that by doing that many iso releases we
can optimize our process and automate more things.

Of course this also should teach people (ourselves included) that an
iso release is not the most important mile stone in Arch. Even though
the media likes to only pick up those releases for a news article, it's
just a tool to install or maintain your system. It shouldn't be treated
that much different than any regular package.

Greetings,

Pierre