-   -   rc.conf cleanup why? (http://www.linux-archive.org/archlinux-development/685091-rc-conf-cleanup-why.html)

Tobias Powalowski 07-19-2012 05:58 AM

rc.conf cleanup why?

Hi
http://projects.archlinux.org/initscripts.git/commit/?id=5b062674869c97018871b1f91c0b22d27ae900f7
I don't think this is a good idea, I liked the described options in
rc.conf. Now you have to switch to an other terminal to read what
options are possible.

pacman.conf and makepackage.conf also have comments on important
options, so why remove parameters from the most important config file?

greetings
tpowa

Pierre Schmitz 07-19-2012 06:01 AM

rc.conf cleanup why?

Am 19.07.2012 07:58, schrieb Tobias Powalowski:
> Hi
> http://projects.archlinux.org/initscripts.git/commit/?id=5b062674869c97018871b1f91c0b22d27ae900f7
> I don't think this is a good idea, I liked the described options in
> rc.conf. Now you have to switch to an other terminal to read what
> options are possible.
>
> pacman.conf and makepackage.conf also have comments on important
> options, so why remove parameters from the most important config file?

Probably a matter of taste. Personally I like my config files without
comments; it just gives you a better overview.

Greetings,

Pierre

Tom Gundersen 07-19-2012 09:55 AM

rc.conf cleanup why?

Tobias,

I'd like to nudge people into thinking twice before using these options. In
addition to documenting what options exist, the man page also explains why
you should not use them.

As of the next release initscripts will do the right thing when rc.conf is
empty.

I also started adding warnings whenever people have
contradictory/nonsensical options specified (usually solved by deleting the
options).

Tom

Tom Gundersen 07-19-2012 09:56 AM

rc.conf cleanup why?

I should add: the reason I prefer manages rather than comments is that they
can be more verbose and updated more frequently.