Old 07-17-2012, 09:41 PM
Pierre Schmitz

Default draft for new isos

Hi,

we really need to write a news istem about new isos etc.. Here are some
points we should mention:

* removed aif for now
* looking for aif contributors and/or maintainer (need to ask Dieter if
he likes to guide applicants or never wants to toch aif again -))
* new arch install scripts
* keyring is initialized on bootup; signature verification is enabled
by default. keyring is copied to target system in pacstrap
* need community help with documentation
* only one single iso (for both arches, no core repo included)
* regular (can we agree on monthly here?) releases
* we should mention that the iso itself is signed and that it really
should be verified

Anything I missed? Would anybody like to write up some actual text? :-)

Greetings,

Pierre

Old 07-17-2012, 09:45 PM
Dave Reisner

On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 10:41:15PM +0100, Pierre Schmitz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we really need to write a news istem about new isos etc.. Here are some
> points we should mention:
>
> * removed aif for now
> * looking for aif contributors and/or maintainer (need to ask Dieter if
> he likes to guide applicants or never wants to toch aif again -))
> * new arch install scripts
> * keyring is initialized on bootup; signature verification is enabled
> by default. keyring is copied to target system in pacstrap
> * need community help with documentation
> * only one single iso (for both arches, no core repo included)
> * regular (can we agree on monthly here?) releases
> * we should mention that the iso itself is signed and that it really
> should be verified
>
> Anything I missed? Would anybody like to write up some actual text? :-)

PXE booting. There's documentation available for this:

http://releng.archlinux.org/pxeboot/

No promises, but I'll see if I can cobble together a starting point for
a news item tonight.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:56 PM
Pierre Schmitz

Am 17.07.2012 22:45, schrieb Dave Reisner:
> On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 10:41:15PM +0100, Pierre Schmitz wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> we really need to write a news istem about new isos etc.. Here are some
>> points we should mention:
>>
>> * removed aif for now
>> * looking for aif contributors and/or maintainer (need to ask Dieter if
>> he likes to guide applicants or never wants to toch aif again -))
>> * new arch install scripts
>> * keyring is initialized on bootup; signature verification is enabled
>> by default. keyring is copied to target system in pacstrap
>> * need community help with documentation
>> * only one single iso (for both arches, no core repo included)
>> * regular (can we agree on monthly here?) releases
>> * we should mention that the iso itself is signed and that it really
>> should be verified
>>
>> Anything I missed? Would anybody like to write up some actual text? :-)
>
> PXE booting. There's documentation available for this:
>
> http://releng.archlinux.org/pxeboot/

Yes, this is actually nice. But we should still mention that this does
not verify signatures and therefor is not really secure to use.

> No promises, but I'll see if I can cobble together a starting point for
> a news item tonight.

Gerado also just sent me a list of archiso changes to the arch-releng
mailing list:
https://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-releng/2012-July/002641.html

Old 07-20-2012, 09:46 PM
Pierre Schmitz

Here is a first draft. Please review:
----
Install media 2012.07.15 released

New iso images containing a current Arch Linux snapshot have been
released and can be found on our <a
href="https://www.archlinux.org/download/">Downloads</a> page.

Most notable change is that AIF (the Arch installation framework) is no
longer included but instead some simple <a
href="https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Install_Scripts">install
scripts</a> are provided to aid in the installation process. This means
a menu driven installer is no longer available and we rely more on
documentation to guide new users. We would like to encourage our
community to fill in missing gaps in <
href="https://wiki.archlinux.org/">our wiki</a>.

From now on our install images are signed and it is highly recommend to
verify their signature before use. On Arch Linux this can be simply done
by using <code>pacman-key -v &lt;iso-file&gt;.sig</code>.

<ul>
<li>The pacman keyring is automatically initialized on bootup. Therefor
signature verification is available on the live media and will work out
of the box on the installed system.</li>
<li>Instead of six different images we only provide a single one which
can be boot into an i686 and x86_64 live system to install Arch Linux
over the network. Media containing the [core] repository are no longer
provided.</li>
<li>Regular iso snapshots are planned on a monthly base.</li>
<li>The install media can also be booted directly via <a
href="https://releng.archlinux.org/pxeboot/">PXE</a>. Note that its PGP
signature cannot be verifed this way.</li>
<li>More archiso related options and new features can be found in its
<a
href="https://projects.archlinux.org/archiso.git/plain/README">README</a>
file.</li>
</ul>

AIF had to be dropped due to lack of maintenance and contributions. Of
course we would appreciate it if people would start hacking on it to
bring it up on par.

Old 07-21-2012, 07:20 AM
Tobias Powalowski

Am 20.07.2012 23:46, schrieb Pierre Schmitz:
> Here is a first draft. Please review:
> ----
> Install media 2012.07.15 released
>
> New iso images containing a current Arch Linux snapshot have been
> released and can be found on our <a
> href="https://www.archlinux.org/download/">Downloads</a> page.
>
> Most notable change is that AIF (the Arch installation framework) is no
> longer included but instead some simple <a
> href="https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Install_Scripts">install
> scripts</a> are provided to aid in the installation process. This means
> a menu driven installer is no longer available and we rely more on
> documentation to guide new users. We would like to encourage our
> community to fill in missing gaps in <
> href="https://wiki.archlinux.org/">our wiki</a>.
>
> From now on our install images are signed and it is highly recommend to
> verify their signature before use. On Arch Linux this can be simply done
> by using <code>pacman-key -v &lt;iso-file&gt;.sig</code>.
>
> <ul>
> <li>The pacman keyring is automatically initialized on bootup. Therefor
> signature verification is available on the live media and will work out
> of the box on the installed system.</li>
> <li>Instead of six different images we only provide a single one which
> can be boot into an i686 and x86_64 live system to install Arch Linux
> over the network. Media containing the [core] repository are no longer
> provided.</li>
> <li>Regular iso snapshots are planned on a monthly base.</li>
> <li>The install media can also be booted directly via <a
> href="https://releng.archlinux.org/pxeboot/">PXE</a>. Note that its PGP
> signature cannot be verifed this way.</li>
> <li>More archiso related options and new features can be found in its
> <a
> href="https://projects.archlinux.org/archiso.git/plain/README">README</a>
> file.</li>
> </ul>
>
> AIF had to be dropped due to lack of maintenance and contributions. Of
> course we would appreciate it if people would start hacking on it to
> bring it up on par.

You could add a to link archboot wiki which contains isos for other
users and purposes.

greetings
tpowa

--
Tobias Powalowski
http://www.archlinux.org

Old 07-21-2012, 08:26 PM
Pierre Schmitz

Am 20.07.2012 23:46, schrieb Pierre Schmitz:
> Here is a first draft. Please review:

I see no need to postpone this any longer. I'll post this soon; means
last chance to object. ;-)

Greetings,

Pierre

Old 07-21-2012, 09:55 PM
Tom Gundersen

On Sat, Jul 21, 2012 at 10:26 PM, Pierre Schmitz <pierre@archlinux.de> wrote:
> Am 20.07.2012 23:46, schrieb Pierre Schmitz:
>> Here is a first draft. Please review:
>
> I see no need to postpone this any longer. I'll post this soon; means
> last chance to object. ;-)

This all looks good to me. Thanks for taking the lead on this!

Cheers,

Tom