-   -   KDE Package Guidelines (aka AUR plasmoids mess) (http://www.linux-archive.org/archlinux-development/683811-kde-package-guidelines-aka-aur-plasmoids-mess.html)

Andrea Scarpino 07-15-2012 09:01 AM

KDE Package Guidelines (aka AUR plasmoids mess)

Hi all,
I just received a mail where the user ask me to rename a plasmoid package in
AUR.
He suggests to rename it as kdeplasma-addons-applets-$plasmoidname, but this
is obviously wrong as kdeplasma-addons is the name of the *official* KDE
package.
If we would rename all our packages in that way, will be really difficult, for
both users and maintainer, to understand if we are talking about an official kde
plasmoid or not.

So, I thought about two naming conventions:
* kdeplasma-applets-$plasmoidname
* plasma-applets-$plasmoidname

Sincerely, I prefer the first one as all kde packages start with the kde prefix.

I also wrote a simple KDE package guidelines page[1] taking this opportunity.
Any suggestion is much appreciated.

The absence of this naming convention created many duplicates on AUR, so let's
start the AUR plasmoid cleanup!

Thanks!

[1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/KDE_Package_Guidelines

--
Andrea

Lukáš Jirkovský 07-16-2012 08:01 AM

On 15 July 2012 11:01, Andrea Scarpino <andrea@archlinux.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I just received a mail where the user ask me to rename a plasmoid package in
> AUR.
> He suggests to rename it as kdeplasma-addons-applets-$plasmoidname, but this
> is obviously wrong as kdeplasma-addons is the name of the *official* KDE
> package.
> If we would rename all our packages in that way, will be really difficult, for
> both users and maintainer, to understand if we are talking about an official kde
> plasmoid or not.
>
> So, I thought about two naming conventions:
> * kdeplasma-applets-$plasmoidname
> * plasma-applets-$plasmoidname
>
> Sincerely, I prefer the first one as all kde packages start with the kde prefix.
>
> I also wrote a simple KDE package guidelines page[1] taking this opportunity.
> Any suggestion is much appreciated.
>
> The absence of this naming convention created many duplicates on AUR, so let's
> start the AUR plasmoid cleanup!
>
> Thanks!
>
> [1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/KDE_Package_Guidelines
>
> --
> Andrea

I like the first one (kdeplasma-applets-$plasmoidname). Good luck with
the plasmoid cleanup!

Lukas

Andrea Scarpino 07-17-2012 08:21 AM

On Tuesday 17 July 2012 17:51:44 Gosha Tugai wrote:
> In my opinion, plasma-applets-$plasmoidname would fit better if
plasma/plasmoids are used outside of KDE.
> Otherwise, kdeplasma-applets-$plasmoidname, kde-plasma-applets-$plasmoidname
or kde-plasma-$plasmoidname is suitable.

e.g. plasmoids for plasma active?

--
Andrea

A Rojas 07-17-2012 02:07 PM

Andrea Scarpino wrote:

> Hi all,
> I just received a mail where the user ask me to rename a plasmoid package
> in AUR.
> He suggests to rename it as kdeplasma-addons-applets-$plasmoidname, but
> this is obviously wrong as kdeplasma-addons is the name of the *official*
> KDE package.
> If we would rename all our packages in that way, will be really difficult,
> for both users and maintainer, to understand if we are talking about an
> official kde plasmoid or not.
>
> So, I thought about two naming conventions:
> * kdeplasma-applets-$plasmoidname
> * plasma-applets-$plasmoidname

What about service menus? There also doesn't seem to be a common name format
for them.

Andrea Scarpino 07-17-2012 06:02 PM

On Tuesday 17 July 2012 16:07:05 A Rojas wrote:

> What about service menus? There also doesn't seem to be a common name format
> for them.

No idea.

Maybe just kde-servicemenu-$servicename?

--
Andrea