Old 06-24-2012, 07:51 PM
Ronald van Haren

Default grub/grub2 final

On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 9:19 PM, Tobias Powalowski
<tobias.powalowski@googlemail.com> wrote:
> HI
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/grub-devel/2012-06/msg00071.html
> grub2 will hit final status soon, should packages be renamed then?
> Any plan how to handle this.
> Imho we move grub-legacy to aur or at least extra then.
>
> Thanks
> greetings
> tpowa
>
> --
> Tobias Powalowski
> Archlinux Developer & Package Maintainer (tpowa)
> http://www.archlinux.org
> tpowa@archlinux.org

I was about to post a similar message...

Anyway, I was planning to drop support of grub1. There has been no
upstream for a long time and all newer features are patched in or
require additional patches. I don't see a need to have it in [extra]
as grub-legacy. No problem uploading it to AUR so people can continue
to use it if they want, although you need i686 to build it so that
could be the only reason to keep it in [extra] for a bit...

I've seen no major breakages in grub2 since beta2 iirc. Upstream
development has been going towards stability in recent betas and I
would consider it stable at the moment: there were no real bug reports
in the bugtracker for the last few months.

I'd like to move 2.00 to [core] via [testing] when it is released,
letting the grub-bios (atm grub2-bios) replace the old grub package.
Adding an install message and a news item is probably a good idea at
the time.

I'll be pushing grub2 rc1 to [testing] in a moment if you want to give
it a try. Final 2.00 release should be in one of the next days.

Cheers,
Ronald

Old 06-24-2012, 08:04 PM
Ionut Biru

On 06/24/2012 10:51 PM, Ronald van Haren wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 9:19 PM, Tobias Powalowski
> <tobias.powalowski@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> HI
>> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/grub-devel/2012-06/msg00071.html
>> grub2 will hit final status soon, should packages be renamed then?
>> Any plan how to handle this.
>> Imho we move grub-legacy to aur or at least extra then.
>>
>> Thanks
>> greetings
>> tpowa
>>
>> --
>> Tobias Powalowski
>> Archlinux Developer & Package Maintainer (tpowa)
>> http://www.archlinux.org
>> tpowa@archlinux.org
>>

> I was about to post a similar message...
>
> Anyway, I was planning to drop support of grub1. There has been no
> upstream for a long time and all newer features are patched in or
> require additional patches. I don't see a need to have it in [extra]
> as grub-legacy. No problem uploading it to AUR so people can continue
> to use it if they want, although you need i686 to build it so that
> could be the only reason to keep it in [extra] for a bit...
>
> I've seen no major breakages in grub2 since beta2 iirc. Upstream
> development has been going towards stability in recent betas and I
> would consider it stable at the moment: there were no real bug reports
> in the bugtracker for the last few months.
>
> I'd like to move 2.00 to [core] via [testing] when it is released,
> letting the grub-bios (atm grub2-bios) replace the old grub package.
> Adding an install message and a news item is probably a good idea at
> the time.

Do not replace grub. Most users won't read the pacman output and the
configuration syntax was changed, resulting in a non booting system.

Let them move to grub-bios.

--
Ionuț

Old 06-24-2012, 08:10 PM
Ronald van Haren

On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 10:04 PM, Ionut Biru <ibiru@archlinux.org> wrote:
> On 06/24/2012 10:51 PM, Ronald van Haren wrote:
>> On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 9:19 PM, Tobias Powalowski
>> <tobias.powalowski@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>> HI
>>> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/grub-devel/2012-06/msg00071.html
>>> grub2 will hit final status soon, should packages be renamed then?
>>> Any plan how to handle this.
>>> Imho we move grub-legacy to aur or at least extra then.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> greetings
>>> tpowa
>>>
>>> --
>>> Tobias Powalowski
>>> Archlinux Developer & Package Maintainer (tpowa)
>>> http://www.archlinux.org
>>> tpowa@archlinux.org
>>>

>> I was about to post a similar message...
>>
>> Anyway, I was planning to drop support of grub1. There has been no
>> upstream for a long time and all newer features are patched in or
>> require additional patches. I don't see a need to have it in [extra]
>> as grub-legacy. No problem uploading it to AUR so people can continue
>> to use it if they want, although you need i686 to build it so that
>> could be the only reason to keep it in [extra] for a bit...
>>
>> I've seen no major breakages in grub2 since beta2 iirc. Upstream
>> development has been going towards stability in recent betas and I
>> would consider it stable at the moment: there were no real bug reports
>> in the bugtracker for the last few months.
>>
>> I'd like to move 2.00 to [core] via [testing] when it is released,
>> letting the grub-bios (atm grub2-bios) replace the old grub package.
>> Adding an install message and a news item is probably a good idea at
>> the time.
>>

> Do not replace grub. Most users won't read the pacman output and the
> configuration syntax was changed, resulting in a non booting system.
>
> Let them move to grub-bios.
>
>> I'll be pushing grub2 rc1 to [testing] in a moment if you want to give
>> it a try. Final 2.00 release should be in one of the next days.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Ronald
>>

> --
> Ionuț

Well sure, but grub-bios will be part of the grub group. Won't it
automatically replace the grub package with the group in that case?

Ronald

Old 06-24-2012, 08:23 PM
Ionut Biru

On 06/24/2012 11:10 PM, Ronald van Haren wrote:

>>> I'd like to move 2.00 to [core] via [testing] when it is released,
>>> letting the grub-bios (atm grub2-bios) replace the old grub package.
>>> Adding an install message and a news item is probably a good idea at
>>> the time.
>>>

>> Do not replace grub. Most users won't read the pacman output and the
>> configuration syntax was changed, resulting in a non booting system.
>>
>> Let them move to grub-bios.
>>

> Well sure, but grub-bios will be part of the grub group. Won't it
> automatically replace the grub package with the group in that case?
>
> Ronald

I don't believe that pacman replaces a package with a group. Do we
really need a group called grub? What's the use case for that?

--
Ionuț

Old 06-24-2012, 08:37 PM
Ronald van Haren

On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 10:23 PM, Ionut Biru <ibiru@archlinux.org> wrote:

>>> Do not replace grub. Most users won't read the pacman output and the
>>> configuration syntax was changed, resulting in a non booting system.
>>>
>>> Let them move to grub-bios.
>>>

>> Well sure, but grub-bios will be part of the grub group. Won't it
>> automatically replace the grub package with the group in that case?
>>
>> Ronald
>>

> I don't believe that pacman replaces a package with a group. Do we
> really need a group called grub? What's the use case for that?
>
> --
> Ionuț

sorry I meant pkgbase

Ronald

Old 06-24-2012, 08:54 PM
Ionut Biru

On 06/24/2012 11:37 PM, Ronald van Haren wrote:

>>> Well sure, but grub-bios will be part of the grub group. Won't it
>>> automatically replace the grub package with the group in that case?
>>>
>>> Ronald
>>>

>> I don't believe that pacman replaces a package with a group. Do we
>> really need a group called grub? What's the use case for that?
>>
>> --
>> Ionuț
>>

> sorry I meant pkgbase
>
> Ronald

it's fine to have pkgbase=grub.

--
Ionuț

Old 06-24-2012, 09:10 PM
Eric Bélanger

On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 4:54 PM, Ionut Biru <ibiru@archlinux.org> wrote:
> On 06/24/2012 11:37 PM, Ronald van Haren wrote:

>>> I don't believe that pacman replaces a package with a group. Do we
>>> really need a group called grub? What's the use case for that?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Ionuț
>>>

>> sorry I meant pkgbase
>>
>> Ronald
>>

> it's fine to have pkgbase=grub.

I'm not sure but I think that the devtools and/or dbscripts expects
PKGBUILDs to be in $pkgbase/trunk/ in the svn repo. If that is
correct, you can't have both a grub package and a grub pkgbase, unless
they are provided by the same PKGBUILD.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:30 PM
Pierre Schmitz

Am 24.06.2012 22:54, schrieb Ionut Biru:
> On 06/24/2012 11:37 PM, Ronald van Haren wrote:
>> sorry I meant pkgbase
>>
>> Ronald
>>

> it's fine to have pkgbase=grub.

I fear it's not as grub already has this pkgbase. They have to be
unique and also refer to their name in the svn repo. pacman itself does
not care about pkgbase though.

Greetings,

Pierre

Old 06-25-2012, 07:35 PM
Genes MailLists

I'll be pushing grub2 rc1 to [testing] in a moment if you want to give
it a try. Final 2.00 release should be in one of the next days.

Cheers,
Ronald

[replying in arch-general]

Is there anything special that users of [testing] need to do to keep
things booting ok (UEFI and/or BIOS)? Or is a simple pacman -Syu sufficient?

Thanks

gene

Old 06-27-2012, 01:04 PM
Kevin Chadwick

> > I'll be pushing grub2 rc1 to [testing] in a moment if you want to give
> > it a try. Final 2.00 release should be in one of the next days.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Ronald
> >

> [replying in arch-general]
>
> Is there anything special that users of [testing] need to do to keep
> things booting ok (UEFI and/or BIOS)? Or is a simple pacman -Syu sufficient?
>
> Thanks

Not sure if this is or still an issue for multibooters but p32 of the
Grub2 manual states this.

5.3 Multi-boot manual config

Currently autogenerating config files for multi-boot environments
depends on os-prober and has several shortcomings. While fixing it is
scheduled for the next release, meanwhile you can make use of the power
of GRUB syntax and do it yourself. A possible configuration is detailed
here, feel free to adjust to your needs.

p.s. I believe an alternative is to stick to Grub until it is fixed?

Why not do something good every day and install BOINC.