Old 06-27-2012, 01:44 PM
Keshav P R

Default grub/grub2 final

On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 3:00 AM, Pierre Schmitz <pierre@archlinux.de> wrote:
> Am 24.06.2012 22:54, schrieb Ionut Biru:
>> On 06/24/2012 11:37 PM, Ronald van Haren wrote:
>>> sorry I meant pkgbase
>>>
>>> Ronald
>>>

>> it's fine to have pkgbase=grub.
>
> I fear it's not as grub already has this pkgbase. They have to be
> unique and also refer to their name in the svn repo. pacman itself does
> not care about pkgbase though.

This can be solved by renaming grub(1) to grub-legacy and current grub2 to grub.

- Keshav

Old 06-27-2012, 01:49 PM
Keshav P R

On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 1:34 AM, Ionut Biru <ibiru@archlinux.org> wrote:
> On 06/24/2012 10:51 PM, Ronald van Haren wrote:
>> On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 9:19 PM, Tobias Powalowski
>> <tobias.powalowski@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>> HI
>>> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/grub-devel/2012-06/msg00071.html
>>> grub2 will hit final status soon, should packages be renamed then?
>>> Any plan how to handle this.
>>> Imho we move grub-legacy to aur or at least extra then.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> greetings
>>> tpowa
>>>
>>> --
>>> Tobias Powalowski
>>> Archlinux Developer & Package Maintainer (tpowa)
>>> http://www.archlinux.org
>>> tpowa@archlinux.org
>>>

>> I was about to post a similar message...
>>
>> Anyway, I was planning to drop support of grub1. There has been no
>> upstream for a long time and all newer features are patched in or
>> require additional patches. I don't see a need to have it in [extra]
>> as grub-legacy. No problem uploading it to AUR so people can continue
>> to use it if they want, although you need i686 to build it so that
>> could be the only reason to keep it in [extra] for a bit...
>>
>> I've seen no major breakages in grub2 since beta2 iirc. Upstream
>> development has been going towards stability in recent betas and I
>> would consider it stable at the moment: there were no real bug reports
>> in the bugtracker for the last few months.
>>
>> I'd like to move 2.00 to [core] via [testing] when it is released,
>> letting the grub-bios (atm grub2-bios) replace the old grub package.
>> Adding an install message and a news item is probably a good idea at
>> the time.
>>

> Do not replace grub. Most users won't read the pacman output and the
> configuration syntax was changed, resulting in a non booting system.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB#Generate_GRUB2_BIOS_Config_file
. You can convert menu.lst/grub.conf to grub.cfg using
grub-menulst2cfg. But since grub1 files will be removed from
/boot/grub, that may lead to non-bootable system, unless the user
installs grub2 to the MBR using grub-install.

Old 06-28-2012, 06:04 AM
Keshav P R

>> On 06/24/2012 10:51 PM, Ronald van Haren wrote:
>>>
>>> I'd like to move 2.00 to [core] via [testing] when it is released,
>>> letting the grub-bios (atm grub2-bios) replace the old grub package.
>>> Adding an install message and a news item is probably a good idea at
>>> the time.
>>>
>>> I'll be pushing grub2 rc1 to [testing] in a moment if you want to give
>>> it a try. Final 2.00 release should be in one of the next days.

GRUB 2.00 released -
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/grub-devel/2012-06/msg00093.html

Regards.

Keshav

Old 06-28-2012, 06:12 PM
Ronald van Haren

On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 11:30 PM, Pierre Schmitz <pierre@archlinux.de> wrote:
> Am 24.06.2012 22:54, schrieb Ionut Biru:
>> On 06/24/2012 11:37 PM, Ronald van Haren wrote:
>>> sorry I meant pkgbase
>>>
>>> Ronald
>>>

>> it's fine to have pkgbase=grub.
>
> I fear it's not as grub already has this pkgbase. They have to be
> unique and also refer to their name in the svn repo. pacman itself does
> not care about pkgbase though.
>
> Greetings,
>
> Pierre
>
> --
> Pierre Schmitz, https://pierre-schmitz.com

It seems to work with pkgbase=grub, I didn't encounter any problems
pushing it to gerolde and into [testing].

From my limited testing locally the package leaves grub alone when it
is installed, and replaces the grub2 packages like expected. So
everything seems to be working.

Please test and report any problems.

I'll move the old grub package as grub-legacy into AUR when this moves
to [core] and also remove the grub2* packages at that time. I'll make
a draft for a frontpage news in one of the next few days before I move
it to [core].

Cheers,
Ronald