Old 05-30-2012, 07:49 PM
Dave Reisner

Default news item for libudev rebuild

Hey all, the libudev rebuild isn't really all that interesting, but it's
the trigger for moving a bunch of things to core, including systemd.
Since we're doing a replacement of udev in that move, it's possible
that, should the upgrade coincide with a kernel update, you'll be
missing your udev hooks at mkinitcpio runtime. I'm thinking of posting a
news item explaining the replacement and to warn people that they'll
need to rerun mkinitcpio before rebooting. I don't plan to move this
until a little later in the week, but I'm posting this early for
comments and criticism.

Cheers,
Dave

-----------8<------------------------

systemd-tools Replaces Udev

The release of systemd 183 signifies the first release wherein systemd
and udev share the same upstream code repository. In order to ease
maintenance on the Arch Linux side, we've created a package called
systemd-tools which includes several of systemd's standalone tools,
including the entirety of the udev package. The astute reader will note
that this also means the entirety of systemd is available in the core
repository.

Upon upgrade, you will be prompted to replace udev with systemd-tools. If an
upgrade of the linux package occurs at the same time, you may see an error
during initramfs creation that the udev hook was not found. After the upgrade
has completed, please rerun 'mkinitcpio -p linux' to ensure that a bootable
image is created for the newly installed kernel.