Old 05-28-2012, 02:21 PM
Dave Reisner

Default udev replaced by systemd-tools

Hey all,

Just an FYI -- we came across some minor nags in testing last night with
udev containing rules that it couldn't support (due to a missing
systemd-sysctl binary). After some nagging from Tom, we decided that it
was best to simply merge the udev and systemd-tools packages together.
There's a few reasons for this:

- systemd-tools is meant to be a package that everyone can benefit from
(regardless of PID 1)
- everyone will eventually have systemd-tools installed anyways, as
initscripts will be using it
- lower maintenance for the PKGBUILD. It's getting ugly with all the
splitting and juggling required.

systemd-tools doesn't yet belong to the base group, but I'll fix this
today with some other minor changes to the package.

Dave

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet."

Old 05-28-2012, 03:55 PM
Rmy Oudompheng

On 2012/5/28 Dave Reisner <d@falconindy.com> wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> Just an FYI -- we came across some minor nags in testing last night with
> udev containing rules that it couldn't support (due to a missing
> systemd-sysctl binary). After some nagging from Tom, we decided that it
> was best to simply merge the udev and systemd-tools packages together.

I was a bit puzzled/surprised by the announcement, and by the version number.
It all became clearer when I read that upstream udev was actually merged into
upstream systemd sources, which makes the packaging changes much more logical.

Rmy.

Old 05-28-2012, 05:44 PM
Ionuț Bîru

On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 5:21 PM, Dave Reisner <d@falconindy.com> wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> Just an FYI -- we came across some minor nags in testing last night with
> udev containing rules that it couldn't support (due to a missing
> systemd-sysctl binary). After some nagging from Tom, we decided that it
> was best to simply merge the udev and systemd-tools packages together.
> There's a few reasons for this:
>
> - systemd-tools is meant to be a package that everyone can benefit from
> *(regardless of PID 1)
> - everyone will eventually have systemd-tools installed anyways, as
> *initscripts will be using it
> - lower maintenance for the PKGBUILD. It's getting ugly with all the
> *splitting and juggling required.

at the beginning it was libsystemd, now is systemd-tools. the next
step is systemd.

lets stop lying ourself and move directly to systemd, lower the
maintenance of packages by merging back all the stuff split from
systemd back and lets move forward.

--
Ionut

Old 05-28-2012, 06:57 PM
Tom Gundersen

On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 7:44 PM, Ionuț Bîru <biru.ionut@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 5:21 PM, Dave Reisner <d@falconindy.com> wrote:
>> Hey all,
>>
>> Just an FYI -- we came across some minor nags in testing last night with
>> udev containing rules that it couldn't support (due to a missing
>> systemd-sysctl binary). After some nagging from Tom, we decided that it
>> was best to simply merge the udev and systemd-tools packages together.
>> There's a few reasons for this:
>>
>> - systemd-tools is meant to be a package that everyone can benefit from
>> *(regardless of PID 1)
>> - everyone will eventually have systemd-tools installed anyways, as
>> *initscripts will be using it
>> - lower maintenance for the PKGBUILD. It's getting ugly with all the
>> *splitting and juggling required.
>>

> at the beginning it was libsystemd, now is systemd-tools. the next
> step is systemd.

Regarding systemd-tools. I requested this package (which essentially
contains all the bits of systemd that can be used without the systemd
daemon) so that we can use it from initscripts. Lots of stuff in
initscripts and systemd are the same, so this should allow us to
delete a lot of code :-)

I'll post patches to arch-projects for review shortly.

Cheers,

Tom